The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Gun Dog Broker
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Music City HRC event this weekend

Hang around Mark as much as you can. He knows a little about the dog games, and he is what you would call a pretty good dude besides.
    Steve Wyatt

HR Belle's Rolling Big Rig "Jimmy"

It went off without a hitch. Wonderful club, awesome grounds and a great time was had. I am sure Kim is still staggering but you can tell a lot of hard work went into this one. Kim, my hat is off to you brother...
    I would like to thank all the judges and bird boys that made this happen. From a pro standpoint, it could not have gone smoother.
    Joe Overby
    Candler Creek Retrievers
    www.candlercreekretrievers.com
    GRHRCH UH "Hooch" MH (HRC 1500 pt. club)
    HRCH "Tater"

I agree with Joe.

It was so smooth that from a participants perspective you really couldnt tell if there were 2 flights or 6 flights of finished. We had dogs on our truck in 2 different flights of finished and were still finished by 3 pm both days. Marshals and judges kept things moving great. We will Definitely be making the trip back to Music City.

Thanks for the comments and we want to thank the judges, marshals and handlers for making this a successful weekend. We didn't have the help needed but most people didn't know. Just to fill you in on a secret, it's easier to run 4 or 6 flights of finished if you have the bird techs than just running 2 flights. We set the test up on Friday and we didn't have to do anything but pick it up on Sunday afternoon. We also used pros as marshal and we had handlers like Mark Edwards and Mark Land help out. We ended up with 535 dogs, 94 started, 120 seasoned and 321 finished dogs for the weekend. We also had over 50 dogs scratch because of coming in heat.
    HRCH Ashes Winter Smith MH
    HRCH Jamie's Winter Blizzard MH
    HRCH Lone Oak's Gypsy MH
    HRCH UH Willson's Worth the Wait Kate MH
    HRCH King Henry's Tennessee Daisy MH
    GRHRCH LONEOAK'S THIEF MH
    HRCH UH KJ Just Cinnamon and Spice MHR (AKA Bon Bon Dog) Youngest HRCH (14 months), MHR (35 Months) and First Boykin Female MHR

Quote Originally Posted by kimsmith View Post
    Thanks for the comments and we want to thank the judges, marshals and handlers for making this a successful weekend. We didn't have the help needed but most people didn't know. Just to fill you in on a secret, it's easier to run 4 or 6 flights of finished if you have the bird techs than just running 2 flights. We set the test up on Friday and we didn't have to do anything but pick it up on Sunday afternoon. We also used pros as marshal and we had handlers like Mark Edwards and Mark Land help out. We ended up with 535 dogs, 94 started, 120 seasoned and 321 finished dogs for the weekend. We also had over 50 dogs scratch because of coming in heat.
    It's a wonder you didn't have some handlers scratch due to getting out in the heat!

Good job on pulling off that huge test.
    Bill Davis

It was hot on Saturday but Sunday was cool and s prefect day for a hunt test
    HRCH Ashes Winter Smith MH
    HRCH Jamie's Winter Blizzard MH
    HRCH Lone Oak's Gypsy MH
    HRCH UH Willson's Worth the Wait Kate MH
    HRCH King Henry's Tennessee Daisy MH
    GRHRCH LONEOAK'S THIEF MH
    HRCH UH KJ Just Cinnamon and Spice MHR (AKA Bon Bon Dog) Youngest HRCH (14 months), MHR (35 Months) and First Boykin Female MHR

The weekend went off perfectly! The rain Sunday was a gift because it dropped the temp 20 degrees. A big THANK YOU goes out to all the judges, club members and bird technicians!! Kim Smith is probably still in bed. He did the work of 10 people all weekend & had a smile on his face every time I saw him.

Thanks again!! Will put Music City on my calendar for next year.
    Mark Land

From a marshall's standpoint, I want to thank all the handler's from my Finished B flight. Everyone was very, very easy to work with and was ready to go soon as possible. I never had to hunt down a single handler or even call for a dog more than once all weekend. After a weekend of marshalling, I usually dread doing it again for awhile, but not after this one. A BIG THANKS guys!
    Kendall Layne

HR(2xHRCH) Ashland's Big Black Ruby to Go SH
    Dorie's Lady of the Lake(1K bird club)

Never play leap frog with a unicorn.

We had just enough of everything we needed to get it done! Even with the ##$$% lightning delay late Saturday. Music City did a fine job pulling this off, and I am glad I was there to see it COULD be done. It was a pleasure to marshall my flights, the handlers were consumate professionals (even the Am's) about getting folks in/out and off to the next stake. Friendly knowledgeable "root for the dog" judges. Nice tests, too!

How many birds ended up being used?
    Wm. Mark Edwards
    Pascagoula, MS

HRCH (500) UH Ellie Mae MH
    SHR Tipsy

From a Finished judges point of view, the tests went very smoothly. We had everything we needed and we set our tests up on Friday and never had to change anything for two days. The handlers were prompt so we didn't have to wait on anyone. Once we got the bird people trained, we didn't even have "no birds". Music City always does a great job of making their judges job easier and making the handlers feel appreciated. Thanks, Music City.
    Carolina American Water Spaniels

HRCH UH Carolina's Duck Gumbo MHA SHR RN WDS CGC TDI (Gumbo) 1000 Point Club
    UH HR GCH Carolina's Wild March Hare SH RAE OA OAJ WDX CGC TDI (Bunny)
    HR CH Carolina's Running with the Hare SH JHR RN WDX CGC (Blew)