The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: My Dogs First Hunt

Quote Originally Posted by jb504079 View Post
    .......gives you license to be a jerk. Got it. Ok, understood buddy. It's obvious through your comments, and your tag lines, that you hold your own character in the highest rafters of history, along with Dewey and Washington. I'm sure you've never done anything wrong or misread anything before. Thanks for maintaining the standards here at RTF. Maybe one day my values will be good enough to hunt with guys like you....
    Went back and fixed it. Good hunting. Be careful. As I said, I mostly hunt alone.
    Any doctrine that weakens personal responsibility for judgment and for action helps create the attitudes that welcome and support the totalitarian state.
    (John Dewey)

Associate yourself with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for 'tis better to be alone than in bad company.
    (George Washington)

Gig'em Aggies!! BTCO'77HOO t.u.!!

www.HughLieck.photoshelter.com

Quote Originally Posted by jb504079 View Post
    I don't mind being corrected, just don't be an ass about it is my point. If a professional trainer pointed something out to me that I was doing wrong, he'd get a much better response by saying, "look, try this, and here's why....." instead of, "hey man, what kind of man are you for doing it this way....", and questioning my character. I don't care how long someone has been hunting doves, but I don't even let my dad talk to me that way.
    I mostly agree with you, but sometimes you have to listen to what's being said and not how. I've trained with a couple folks who really knew their stuff when it came to dog training, but they have forgotten that at one time they didn't know a dang thing about it either. And they are somewhat flabbergasted that any reasonably intelligent human being would NOT know what they know.
    Steve Wyatt

HR Belle's Rolling Big Rig "Jimmy"

No one mentioned this but take a bottle of rubbing alcohol with you (or a couple). If he gets too hot, poor it on his belly and chest. It evaporates faster than water and will cool him off quicker. Be careful, whatever you do.
    God bless!- Jamee

When you stop having fun, it's time to quit!!
    "If your dog doesn't like someone you probably shouldn't either"- Author unknown

My team:
    HR Dr. J's RxRated High Caliber JH "Kali"
    White Oak's Change of Plans "Bodee"
    The rookie- Jamstar's Hot Tubb "Cuzzi"
    #1 cheerleader: SJ's Gotta-Lot-A Go Lil "Jake"

Gone but never forgotten:
    HR Stevie-Joe's Super "Star"- my heart dog, I love you baby
    October 24, 2001-January 6, 2013

Ive been dove hunting for 30 yars also and didnt know you had to quit at sunset. Heck we hardley shoot any in the evening, maybe we just been giving up before sunset.
    Im leaving my dogs at home. 100 plus degrees
    Last edited by Brad; 08-31-2013 at 09:11 AM.

Well guys I made the decsion to take the dog with me and it was a good one, Temps stayed in the mid 80's and we killed a four man limit. Not once this my dog show signs of getting over heated. I kept a water buck right next to me. He retrieved 70 percent of the birds and even retrieved his first double and blind. Everyone was really impressed, and I couldnt be any happier. Man it feels awsome to see the hard work pay off, I am one happy fella!!!

Glad it all worked out. It makes a man proud when his dog shows off his training in front of his hunting partners. You cant buy that feeling !
    Shawn White

HR Big Creek Retrievers Independence Day JH QAA "Indy "

Sounds like a blast and a great way to start off. A couple more hunts like that and the pup will be recognizing dove in flight as far away as you do.
    Any doctrine that weakens personal responsibility for judgment and for action helps create the attitudes that welcome and support the totalitarian state.
    (John Dewey)

Associate yourself with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for 'tis better to be alone than in bad company.
    (George Washington)

Gig'em Aggies!! BTCO'77HOO t.u.!!

www.HughLieck.photoshelter.com

Congratulations i am happy everything worked out and your pup did great!
    Drew Allain

Cajun Made King "Zeus"