The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: My Dogs First Hunt

Let him swim and get wet first...

Quote Originally Posted by DropinBack View Post
    I believe that will just produce a hot, wet dog.

Hunt around water. My dogs are pretty accustomed to the heat, but it can be deadly, and quick. I deny at least 50% of the birds and pick em up myself. Keeps him cooler, and is an excellent drill in preparation for duck season necessary steadiness.

You can kill a dog pretty fast in the heat. I am a dove hunter, not a duck hunter. I hunt opening day in the lower Rio Grande Valley in Texas. I go out about an hour and a half before sunset. I stay in the shade. I have a light yellow dog (see avatar). I carry lots of water, don't get too far from the truck, and take ice. Be careful. If it is humid, running a hot wet dog may not be any better than running a hot dry dog. Be real careful.
    Any doctrine that weakens personal responsibility for judgment and for action helps create the attitudes that welcome and support the totalitarian state.
    (John Dewey)

Associate yourself with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for 'tis better to be alone than in bad company.
    (George Washington)

Gig'em Aggies!! BTCO'77HOO t.u.!!

www.HughLieck.photoshelter.com

Quote Originally Posted by dropinback View Post
    let him swim and get wet first...
    smdh!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    The foundation to a great retriever is obedience.
    Firestorms Full Throttle Chevy aka Callie-Roo 7/5/2007 - 10/25/2013 I miss you every day
    Proud owner of Kona's Surfer Girl, aka Loki.

Quote Originally Posted by DropinBack View Post
    Unless you have a cold spring-fed pond to put him in, this is a really bad idea. Makes it harder for the dog to cool off, so more likely to have a heat-related incident. It's also a good idea to make sure the dog is pretty dry before you put him in his crate/kennel. Otherwise you are putting them in a sauna.
    Steve Wyatt

HR Belle's Rolling Big Rig "Jimmy"

I forgot to mention that the hunt doesnt start until 3:30 in the evening. But I think I will take your advice and either leave him at home or leave the gun at home and concentrate on him with a few retrieves. As of now the high is suppose to be 88 Deg. As much as I would like to show him off and everyone want to see him work since they have be asking me about him, I think they can wait. From my understanding that we are going to hunt for a few hours and then there is going to be a cookout afterwards. So I would think that we would only hunt maybe 3 hours at the most.

Thanks for you all's advice.

There is a sticky at the top of the main forum page with lots of general info on this subject " cooling,back by demand "

Post #11 is a fast track to trouble .
    Shawn White

HR Big Creek Retrievers Independence Day JH QAA "Indy "

I am in the same situation down in Southern La. If you want to shoot doves leave your dog behind. If you want to work on your dog there are several things that you could work on in a hunting environment that will not over heat the dog. You could set up a platform or dog blind under some shade and work my dog on honoring and observing while shots are being fired. This will build drive(in YOU and the dog as your friends blast the doves haha) and also teach the dog steadiness in a real life hunting situation. If a dove lands close and you are confident your dog marked it you could release him every so often just to reward his honor but don’t get him over heated. Also if a dove goes down in tall grass or a thicket you could bring him to the location of the fall give him a dead brid que and let him hunt it up. Remember success builds confidents dogs are like kids it might seem like a simple find to you but to the dog he just found the long lost bird at 500 yards. As many people have mentioned Hot dog+dove feathers = disaster!!! There are several other little things you could work the dog on without overheating him but you must remember if you bring your dog it turns into more of a training session monitoring your dog the entire time and upholding your obedience standards.
    Drew Allain

Cajun Made King "Zeus"

Quote Originally Posted by ada5771 View Post
    I am in the same situation down in Southern La. If you want to shoot doves leave your dog behind. If you want to work on your dog there are several things that you could work on in a hunting environment that will not over heat the dog. You could set up a platform or dog blind under some shade and work my dog on honoring and observing while shots are being fired. This will build drive(in YOU and the dog as your friends blast the doves haha) and also teach the dog steadiness in a real life hunting situation. If a dove lands close and you are confident your dog marked it you could release him every so often just to reward his honor but don’t get him over heated. Also if a dove goes down in tall grass or a thicket you could bring him to the location of the fall give him a dead brid que and let him hunt it up. Remember success builds confidents dogs are like kids it might seem like a simple find to you but to the dog he just found the long lost bird at 500 yards. As many people have mentioned Hot dog+dove feathers = disaster!!! There are several other little things you could work the dog on without overheating him but you must remember if you bring your dog it turns into more of a training session monitoring your dog the entire time and upholding your obedience standards.
    Now this post I understand.... We don't hunt dove but I can't imagine hunting them without my dogs. It would seem to me the perfect place to train a young pup. If you live in a warm climate adjust your game to meet your needs. JMHO..Don