The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: My Dogs First Hunt

Quote Originally Posted by jb504079 View Post
    You don't go dove hunting with a dog at 3:00 in Texas. It's too hot. Temps usually peak around 5:00, and we usually go out around 7:30 and hunt til dark. In the morning, we hunt from daylight til about 9:30. By then, it's starting to heat up. But a high temp of 88 isn't bad.
    If you are hunting 'til dark, I believe that you are hunting outside legal hunting hours. Seems to me that legal hunting hours for migratory game birds run thirty minutes before sunrise to SUNSET.
    Any doctrine that weakens personal responsibility for judgment and for action helps create the attitudes that welcome and support the totalitarian state.
    (John Dewey)

Associate yourself with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for 'tis better to be alone than in bad company.
    (George Washington)

Gig'em Aggies!! BTCO'77HOO t.u.!!

www.HughLieck.photoshelter.com

Quote Originally Posted by shawninthesticks View Post
    There is a sticky at the top of the main forum page with lots of general info on this subject " cooling,back by demand "

Post #11 is a fast track to trouble .
    Not if you live where the humidity might hit 20% as the high early in the morning and drop to the low teens or single digits as the day goes on Still need to be careful but as in all things it depends on where you live. We rarely have days where it's hot and the humidity is over 20%

Quote Originally Posted by HPL View Post
    If you are hunting 'til dark, I believe that you are hunting outside legal hunting hours. Seems to me that legal hunting hours for migratory game birds run thirty minutes before sunrise to SUNSET.
    Actually, it's 30 minutes before sunrise and 30 minutes after sunset here in Texas. So one could hunt until 8:44 on the opening day. Just about dark.

AZ dove opener =112-120 mid-day, but we start off at a nice 95+ degrees . I don't considered dove an Active upland bird, dogs don't actively hunt them like Quail-pheasant-chukar. They just pick them up, when they fall 50yards @ most. Despite what others will tell yah, I've always found dove perfect for a first hunting experience, everything's up close, on land and you can help . You Carry water, watch the dog, we usually setup under the shade of a tree, with a cooler, shoot them right before they try to sit in your tree, or if your napping after, sometimes the best shooting is right off the tail-gate. Still dog sits at heel, gets released, brings the bird back. Just be sure to setup away from idiots, so neither you or the dog gets shot. We do worry about snakes, but you set it up so the birds will fall in the open, and don't put you dog in the brush, snake-booster shots, training and I also always carry a gun . Still most the time for opener you kill 10 and get out of there before 8-9 AM cuz you don't want to be out their any later. IT'S HOT people always complain way more than dogs .
    Last edited by Hunt'EmUp; 08-28-2013 at 04:25 PM.
    "They's Just DAWGS"
    "Hunting is a skill to be learned whether you do it early or late it still needs to be learned"
    "I train dogs, Not papers"

GMRH HRCH Quick MH (most importantly Duck/Upland Enthusiast)
    MHR HRCH Lakota MH (most importantly Upland/Duck Enthusiast)
    SHR Storm.. the Pup (Beginning Upland & Waterfowl Enthusiast)

Actually, it's 30 minutes before sunrise and 30 minutes after sunset here in Texas. So one could hunt until 8:44 on the opening day. Just about dark.
    FYI, legal shooting time in Texas for all migratory birds is 30 minutes BEFORE sunrise and you must stop shooting AT sunset. You can deer hunt until 30 minutes AFTER sunset, but not dove. Would hate to see you get a ticket.

Um, no it's not. I have done ALL my bird hunting in Texas. I've been hunting dove for about 51 years now, but even so I READ the regs EVERY year just in case. I would refer you to The TPWD hunting annual and the "migratory game bird regulations". I believe that the legal hunting hours on migratory birds have to conform to he FEDERAL regs. Here's the link. (where specifically in Texas do you hunt? I hear 1-800-Game thief pays pretty well )

http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/regulati...shooting-hours
    Last edited by HPL; 08-29-2013 at 02:11 PM. Reason: de snark
    Any doctrine that weakens personal responsibility for judgment and for action helps create the attitudes that welcome and support the totalitarian state.
    (John Dewey)

Associate yourself with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for 'tis better to be alone than in bad company.
    (George Washington)

Quote Originally Posted by HPL View Post
    Um, no it's not. I have done ALL my bird hunting in Texas. I've been hunting dove for about 51 years now. I am a wildlife professional by training. I really hate slob hunters. AND I READ the regs EVERY year just in case. I would refer you to The TPWD hunting annual and the "migratory game bird regulations". Here is the link. I believe that the legal hunting hours on migratory birds have to conform to he FEDERAL regs. Here's a link. (where specifically in Texas do you hunt. 1-800-Game thief pays pretty well )

http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/regulati...shooting-hours
    I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but you have been doing it wrong for 51years. The regs on the link you posted clearly state that you must stop shooting at sunset. Good luck.

Disregard my last post. Responded to the wrong poster. Looking forward to opening day and quitting at sunset!

Junior Member The Green Mallard's Avatar

This has been a good thread. I've got a 5 1/2 month old pup and was trying to decide whether to take him out for dove or not come Monday morning. This year I can hunt a picked wheat field right next to my house, so we could go for just an hour or two after sun up and then come home to cool off. But I think I need to work my pup a bit more on some basic obedience stuff before he goes. We'll see.
    "Minds are like parachutes; they work best when open."

Quote Originally Posted by UTMallard View Post
    Disregard my last post. Responded to the wrong poster. Looking forward to opening day and quitting at sunset!
    Actually, I carry my GPS in the field as it has sunrise and sunset info for my exact position AND has the exact time. I then set the alarm on my watch for four minutes before sunset and quit one minute before sunset.
    (John Dewey)

(George Washington)