The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media

Thread: Writing Cursive Improves Your Brain

Default Writing Cursive Improves Your Brain

Cursive writing, compared to printing, is even more beneficial because the movement tasks are more demanding, the letters are less stereotypical, and the visual recognition requirements create a broader repertoire of letter representation. Cursive is also faster and more likely to engage students by providing a better sense of personal style and ownership.

Other research highlights the hand's unique relationship with the brain when it comes to composing thoughts and ideas. Virginia Berninger, a professor at the University of Washington, reported her study of children in grades two, four and six that revealed they wrote more words, faster, and expressed more ideas when writing essays by hand versus with a keyboard.[4]

There is a whole field of research known as “haptics,” which includes the interactions of touch, hand movements, and brain function.[5] Cursive writing helps train the brain to integrate visual, and tactile information, and fine motor dexterity. School systems, driven by ill-informed ideologues and federal mandate, are becoming obsessed with testing knowledge at the expense of training kids to develop better capacity for acquiring knowledge.
    http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/...ref_map=%5B%5D

According to this article, the "Common Core" does not require that children learn cursive handwriting.
    G.Clinchy@gmail.com
    "Know in your heart that all things are possible. We couldn't conceive of a miracle if none ever happened." -Libby Fudim

​I don't use the PM feature, so just email me direct at the address shown above.

I have never written cursive when not required to. Maybe that's why I have so much room for improvement...
    "For everyone to whom much is given, of him shall much be required." -- Luke 12:48

Raven - Moneybird's Black Magic Marker***
    (Esprit's Power Play x Trumarc's Lean Cuisine)
    Mick - Moneybird's Jumpin' Jack Flash***
    (Clubmead's Road Warrior x Oakdale Whitewater Devil Dog)
    Peerless - Moneybird's Sole Survivor
    (Two River's Lucky Willie x Moneybird's Black Magic Marker)

That is correct common core does take out cursive. My daughter is in 5th grade and this the last year for cursive. In our public school. Another reason to put her in private school.

Quote Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
    I have never written cursive when not required to. Maybe that's why I have so much room for improvement...
    But, at some point, you did learn how to write cursive ... and were required to use it. That is the point of the article; that the physical coordination needed to learn & use cursive and the brain activity generated is helpful in activating other brain functions that relate to other mental development.

I'd have to re-read the article to determine if Common Core intends to remove it entirely, and whether the impact gained from learning cursive is no longer pertinent after a certain point in brain development. In other words, if children learn it and use up till 5th grade (usually about age 10), then it could be "safely" set aside.

The more computers are used the less we handwrite things at all!

I noticed there is an ad on TV for online education k thru 12 ... it appears to be part of a public school program. Much like you can take college courses online. The coursework and workbooks are included. It is free. Imagine how that can change the public school system! Imagine how many fewer teachers would be needed. Such a program could be incorporated into a "private school" environment with much less cost than what one would now pay for private school. Of course, it could also be part of home schooling. And the mandatory curriculum could be enhanced as well.
    Last edited by Gerry Clinchy; 08-29-2013 at 11:43 AM.
    G.Clinchy@gmail.com
    "Know in your heart that all things are possible. We couldn't conceive of a miracle if none ever happened." -Libby Fudim

​I don't use the PM feature, so just email me direct at the address shown above.

That is interesting. Until recent years, I did nearly all my writing by hand, in cursive, on paper before I would commit them to type! For some reason my thoughts seemed to flow better even if the grammar errors and structure suffered. I can not imagine not learning cursive as a development skill anymore than I can see abandoning basic math skills just because you have a calculator!
    Carol,
    Owned and handled by Cruisin' with Indiana Jones, JH
    Alternate Handler: Westwind Buffalo Soldier
    Apprentice Handler: Snake River Medicine Man, JH
    http://newhoperetrievers.com

I am a professor in an Associate Degree program. I wrote a note in a patient's record and students and staff looked at it and said... "Wow! Is that calligraphy?" I told them it's called "cursive". Sad.

I can no longer accept any assignments that are not typed. I would estimate 80% of them are totally illegible... even if hand printed. What is even more sad is that when using a word processing program, they can't seem to get spell-check... or grammar check (as in subject-verb agreement and basic things like that.) And don't get me started on APA formatting.

But the saddest thing of all???? This is a highly competitive program and students take a standardized test to get in. We only take the top 3% and most of our students are well into their 20's if not 30's.
    Last edited by 1tulip; 09-03-2013 at 10:52 PM.