The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Speaking of the medi

Default Speaking of the medi

This week on one of the morning shows there was discussion on the state of the House and their poll results showing how dissatisfied the public was with them. One of the guests commented on elections next year. She said "Of course they (reps) should be worried about Elections. That is their job."

Aaahhh...no...I was not aware that was their job. Last I knew, they were 'supposed' to be representing us...

I don't know why I watch the news....or read it...

And when are the reps/Senators going to start listening. We seem to elect new ones and they keep on the same track as the old ones.

Has this always been like this? Or is it that as we get older we pay more attention???

Frustrated....

Sue Puff
    Sue Puffenbarger
    Wirtz, VA
    www.boynelabradors.com

They are too busy representing the "special interest lobbyist" , which is basically legalized bribery...if we did away with lobbyist and set term limits we just might get them out of permanent campaign mode...

if a Congressperson (House or Senate) actually voted the way their constituents wanted I would be shocked
    All my Exes live in Texas

Quote Originally Posted by lanse brown View Post
    A few things that I learned still ring true. "Lanse when you get a gift, say thank you and walk away. When you get a screwing walk away. You are going to get a lot more screwings than gifts"

I do pay more attention as I get older. I think the most upstanding, honest person will not be effective in the 'DC Machine' without compromising something. The 'DC Machine' will eat them up and spit them out if don't. Then they spend more time to get re-elected than doing their job.
    Hebrews 11:3 By faith we understand that the worlds were framed by the word of God, so that the things which are seen were not made of things which are visible.

What if all we have today is what we gave thanks for yesterday?

Quote Originally Posted by GaryJ View Post
    I do pay more attention as I get older. I think the most upstanding, honest person will not be effective in the 'DC Machine' without compromising something. The 'DC Machine' will eat them up and spit them out if don't. Then they spend more time to get re-elected than doing their job.
    IMO, there is enough low hanging fruit to be done that an individual could go a long time before finding any necessity to compromise.

In negotiation always ask for much more than you expect to achieve - when the folks across the table do not violate your "line in the Sand", you will have achieved your original intent. That's not compromise except to those who believe they got you to budge .

Marvin S

Everyone's friend is No One's friend

Someday your life will flash before your eyes. It's your responsibility to make sure it's worth watching!

Quote Originally Posted by Marvin S View Post
    IMO, there is enough low hanging fruit to be done that an individual could go a long time before finding any necessity to compromise.

In negotiation always ask for much more than you expect to achieve - when the folks across the table do not violate your "line in the Sand", you will have achieved your original intent. That's not compromise except to those who believe they got you to budge .
    I agree with you on the negotiation point. New members don't get a whole lot of opportunity to do much. They are lead by more senior members. The more senior members have the power and it is hard to pick low hanging fruit when you have no power.
    Hebrews 11:3 By faith we understand that the worlds were framed by the word of God, so that the things which are seen were not made of things which are visible.

What if all we have today is what we gave thanks for yesterday?

Quote Originally Posted by GaryJ View Post
    I agree with you on the negotiation point. New members don't get a whole lot of opportunity to do much. They are lead by more senior members. The more senior members have the power and it is hard to pick low hanging fruit when you have no power.

Two words: Term limits
    Any doctrine that weakens personal responsibility for judgment and for action helps create the attitudes that welcome and support the totalitarian state.
    (John Dewey)

Associate yourself with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for 'tis better to be alone than in bad company.
    (George Washington)

Gig'em Aggies!! BTCO'77HOO t.u.!!

www.HughLieck.photoshelter.com

Ditto on the term limits......no chance in hell that will ever happen....
    Sue Puffenbarger
    Wirtz, VA
    www.boynelabradors.com

Maybe term limits, alone, would solve the problem ... but so would reducing the incentives to make a career out of politics! Fat chance we have of Congress doing this to themselves!

There is another problem as well, which we seem to overlook ... the career bureaucrats. Even if we had term limits on Congress, the bureaucrats ... who are NOT elected ... would get the power that the Congress now has in terms of special interests and lobbying. So, while we're at it, we might be well advised not to let any Fed employee in a leadership position serve any longer than the Congress-people. While this may not be true in the private sector, in the private sector the high-level employee is more often held to a standard, usually predicated upon profit/success performance of the company. While the latter is not 100% foolproof, it surely seems more effective than giving promotions to people like Lois Lerner.

This would all be made easier to monitor/evaluate if the govt were overall smaller than it has grown to be.

The fact that being in DC govt for too long is so corruptive of even a well-intentioned individual, we should really give a lot of credit to people like Cruz, Lee, and others who are fighting that uphill battle to remember why their constituents elected them to go to DC on their behalf.
    G.Clinchy@gmail.com
    "Know in your heart that all things are possible. We couldn't conceive of a miracle if none ever happened." -Libby Fudim

​I don't use the PM feature, so just email me direct at the address shown above.

Gerry, people like Lois Lerner are promoted because they are EXACTLY the type that thrives in govt.
    Bill Davis

Quote Originally Posted by Gerry Clinchy View Post
    Maybe term limits, alone, would solve the problem ... but so would reducing the incentives to make a career out of politics! Fat chance we have of Congress doing this to themselves!

There is another problem as well, which we seem to overlook ... the career bureaucrats. Even if we had term limits on Congress, the bureaucrats ... who are NOT elected ... would get the power that the Congress now has in terms of special interests and lobbying. So, while we're at it, we might be well advised not to let any Fed employee in a leadership position serve any longer than the Congress-people. While this may not be true in the private sector, in the private sector the high-level employee is more often held to a standard, usually predicated upon profit/success performance of the company. While the latter is not 100% foolproof, it surely seems more effective than giving promotions to people like Lois Lerner.

This would all be made easier to monitor/evaluate if the govt were overall smaller than it has grown to be.
    Probably the most profound statement in the entire thread.
    Any doctrine that weakens personal responsibility for judgment and for action helps create the attitudes that welcome and support the totalitarian state.
    (John Dewey)

Associate yourself with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for 'tis better to be alone than in bad company.
    (George Washington)

Gig'em Aggies!! BTCO'77HOO t.u.!!

www.HughLieck.photoshelter.com