The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: Fall Jamboree Sept 21-22, 2013 Pools Knob Wildlife Management Area LaVergne, Tn

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Bora View Post

from maple trees
    I notice you only show from the waist up on how you get the sap out....I personally appreciate that.
    Kendall Layne

HR(2xHRCH) Ashland's Big Black Ruby to Go SH
    Dorie's Lady of the Lake(1K bird club)

Never play leap frog with a unicorn.

Quote Originally Posted by Duckquilizer View Post
    I notice you only show from the waist up on how you get the sap out....I personally appreciate that.
    just for you KL

I got Orange pants and I can not Lie
    You can see um from the sky
    When I go to town
    and prance around
    the Ladies they all Cry!!!!

Yup, those are my "Tapping" pants
    "So what is big is not always the Trout nor the Deer but the chance, the being there. And what is full is not necessarily the creel nor the freezer, but the memory." ~ Aldo Leopold

"The Greatest Obstacle to Discovery is not Ignorance -- It is the Illusion of Knowledge" ~ Daniel Boorstin

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Bora View Post
    just for you KL

I got Orange pants and I can not Lie
    You can see um from the sky
    When I go to town
    and prance around
    the Ladies they all Cry!!!!

Yup, those are my "Tapping" pants
    For some reason, the verb I'd have expected might be something like "scamper".

Congrats to Cary and the rest on a successful Jamboree v 2.0
    "Determining and applying the criteria for when and when not to use correction is the essence of the art of dog training. I make a distinction between a mistake and a lack of effort." - Mike Lardy - Volume I "After Collar Conditioning"

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Atkinson View Post
    For some reason, the verb I'd have expected might be something like "scamper".

Congrats to Cary and the rest on a successful Jamboree v 2.0
    I think what Ken did was so personal and unique, something for which I have little or no talent. That is the reason that I thought so much of it. Thanks again Ken.

There was a young fellow who showed up with his pup that had not even been through FF and had not even had a mark thrown other that by his owner while at heel. With Kendell at the line helping him andhaving marks thrown in the field, you could see the improvement in the pup and the satisfaction of it's owner. Unfortunately he could not stay since he had to carry his wife to work.

If we don't do something to make these beginners comfortable and accepted, then does anyone believe the sport will not suffer? Certainly the concept of a Jamboree is not the whole answer. We should certainly try to improve the concept to make it better. Criticism is fine so long as a solution is also proposed. Anyone who has ideas to encourage beginners to participate should step forward. Above all we need to cut out the pi$$ing and bitching and work to make the sport more accessible to all.

I am now more aware of some of the problems, grounds, equipment, birds, legal and liability just to name a few. I have tried to come up with something to encourage someone to host the 3rd.

I will make this offer. This summer, I had a levee built around a soybean field and am in the process of building another duck blind on the old Forked Deer river bed. Both should be good duck hinting. Should someone host the 3rd Jamboree next year, I offer a hunting trip to them. My sister who lives in Fl, has a small house in our home town of Halls, Tn. The duck blinds will have propane heaters. 4-wheelers, mule and argo are available. Decoys ect will be set up. No more than 4 will be in the blind. All one needs is their licenses, gun, clothing and shells and there will be a hunt that is not for sale. These blinds are for my personal use. These are my blinds on mine and my sister's private land, both no more than 4 miles from lake Lauderdale, a wildlife refuge area. This is something I can do and would enjoy doing.

Wow!
    What an offer! and what a great post in front of the offer.
    To whom ever takes Cary up on this and hosts the 3rd.
    I will make sure you have something from me to use as landowner thanks or anything you want.
    Roadkill, the seed you planted has sprouted! Good Job!
    when all was said and done Cary, how many dogs and people did you have? was this one larger than the first?
    "So what is big is not always the Trout nor the Deer but the chance, the being there. And what is full is not necessarily the creel nor the freezer, but the memory." ~ Aldo Leopold

"The Greatest Obstacle to Discovery is not Ignorance -- It is the Illusion of Knowledge" ~ Daniel Boorstin

Quote Originally Posted by caryalsobrook View Post
    I think what Ken did was so personal and unique, something for which I have little or no talent. That is the reason that I thought so much of it. Thanks again Ken.

There was a young fellow who showed up with his pup that had not even been through FF and had not even had a mark thrown other that by his owner while at heel. With Kendell at the line helping him andhaving marks thrown in the field, you could see the improvement in the pup and the satisfaction of it's owner. Unfortunately he could not stay since he had to carry his wife to work.

If we don't do something to make these beginners comfortable and accepted, then does anyone believe the sport will not suffer? Certainly the concept of a Jamboree is not the whole answer. We should certainly try to improve the concept to make it better. Criticism is fine so long as a solution is also proposed. Anyone who has ideas to encourage beginners to participate should step forward. Above all we need to cut out the pi$$ing and bitching and work to make the sport more accessible to all.

I am now more aware of some of the problems, grounds, equipment, birds, legal and liability just to name a few. I have tried to come up with something to encourage someone to host the 3rd.

I will make this offer. This summer, I had a levee built around a soybean field and am in the process of building another duck blind on the old Forked Deer river bed. Both should be good duck hinting. Should someone host the 3rd Jamboree next year, I offer a hunting trip to them. My sister who lives in Fl, has a small house in our home town of Halls, Tn. The duck blinds will have propane heaters. 4-wheelers, mule and argo are available. Decoys ect will be set up. No more than 4 will be in the blind. All one needs is their licenses, gun, clothing and shells and there will be a hunt that is not for sale. These blinds are for my personal use. These are my blinds on mine and my sister's private land, both no more than 4 miles from lake Lauderdale, a wildlife refuge area. This is something I can do and would enjoy doing.
    Wow Cary you have gone above and beyond. First taking on the second get together and secondly a huge gesture of generosity to anyone willing to put together a third. Any takers so far? Thanks you are a true genuine supporter of the dog games and a gentleman above reproach.
    I have learned I need these dogs much more than they need me. Tim Bockmon

Quote Originally Posted by duk4me View Post
    Wow Cary you have gone above and beyond. First taking on the second get together and secondly a huge gesture of generosity to anyone willing to put together a third. Any takers so far? Thanks you are a true genuine supporter of the dog games and a gentleman above reproach.
    Thanks Cary for making things happen. And your generous offer. Great job!
    HRCH Scaupgetters Tarnation QAA
    http://www.huntinglabpedigree.com/pedigree.asp?id=83047
    HR Blackie 2 CGN, WCI
    Metras's Hashtag Mickey
    http://www.huntinglabpedigree.com/pedigree.asp?id=83051

"Knowing how important right timing is in accomplishing right actions"
    Uncle Ray

Hey Cary any nibbles on your great offer? I'm hoping someone will step up and have a spring jamboree. Keep us posted if someone is planning one.
    I have learned I need these dogs much more than they need me. Tim Bockmon

for anyone who may be wondering, halls, tennessee is one of the continents fine small towns of storied waterfowling lore. when the conditions are right, there is not a better area anywhere in the world to kill greenheads. if you have never hunted in a "west tennessee" blind it will likely be an amazing experience for you. many west tenn blinds have ALL the comforts of home including full kitchens, baths, satellite tv, recliners and sleeping areas just behind the massive "shooting decks".

i lived in west tennessee twice. i have maintained waterfowling friendships with buds who hunt the forked deer(pronounced for-kid) and obion river bottoms. when these friends call and say, "brother it's on, drop what you are doing and get here!" i always go!

cary......is your sister married?
    john mccallie

Quote Originally Posted by roseberry View Post
    for anyone who may be wondering, halls, tennessee is one of the continents fine small towns of storied waterfowling lore. when the conditions are right, there is not a better area anywhere in the world to kill greenheads. if you have never hunted in a "west tennessee" blind it will likely be an amazing experience for you. many west tenn blinds have ALL the comforts of home including full kitchens, baths, satellite tv, recliners and sleeping areas just behind the massive "shooting decks".

i lived in west tennessee twice. i have maintained waterfowling friendships with buds who hunt the forked deer(pronounced for-kid) and obion river bottoms. when these friends call and say, "brother it's on, drop what you are doing and get here!" i always go!

cary......is your sister married?
    John, yes my sister is married and lives in Winter Park Fl. They come up in the summer. The blind on the Forked Deer River is between Halls and Gates, on the middle fork. The other blind is on my farm about 5 miles SE of Dyersburg jut off Pond Creek. My blinds are not nearly that fancy. built for basically 4 people which is all I really like to hunt with. I am one that if I have the choice of taking my gun or my dog, I will take my dog and you can shoot the ducks

I believe that Stan is planning on having a Jamboree in the spring either in upper Mo. or Iowa. Not totally sure yet. I know I keep harping on it, but he and Pals really did a great job with the 1st one. The training was great and I loved the opportunity to make new friends. I have no doubt that he will again put on a great one.

Ken and I have talked about the need to get those who are beginning to train their 1st dog, to see how those who are experienced, train. I am sure some clubs do a great job getting those involved but wonder if we might improve. I actually see this as a way that might give some insight to clubs to put a higher priority on these new people. Just a thought of mine. I have even wondered if 2 clubs in close proximity to each other might put something on like this. I belong to both an HRC and AKC club. How neat it would be if an AKC and HRC clubs went in togather and put one on! Just a thought.

If I am able, I know that that would warrant another duck hunting trip.