The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Can someone explain to me...

Default Can someone explain to me...

...how a city in bankrupcy like Detroit, can continue to 'sell-out' their baseball stadium every night? Over 40,000 attending for the Tigers, and when the football season begins, the Lions will have full stadiums as well. How are we supposed to feel badly for a city that exhibits that form of enjoyment?

In the meantime, this is one story that gets little ink. What a pity.

UB

Terrible Side Effect of Detroit Bankruptcy: 50,000 Homeless Dogs

By: Brad Jackson (Diary) |

There are many sad stories coming out of Detroit in the wake of its bankruptcy. Entire neighborhoods abandoned, thousands without jobs, a city without services, it’s a depressing and deserted place, a shadow of the the once great Motor City it used to be. Today a story in Bloomberg shines some light on a terrible side effect of Detroit’s economic collapse that many are unaware of: a massive homeless dog population.

As human residents of Detroit have suffered, so too have their canine companions. Nearly 50,000 stray dogs are roaming the city’s streets, abandoned by their owners when they fled town or could no longer afford to care for them. Innocent dogs left to fend for themselves on the streets of an empty city are traveling in packs, some 20 strong, struggling to survive.

One Humane Society official described the situation as “almost post-apocalyptic,” with homeless dogs moving among the barren wasteland of Detroit looking for food and shelter. To complicate the situation, the city’s animal shelters are bursting at the seems, too full of animals, too understaffed to handle those they have and in desperate need of operating funds.

In July, the pound stopped accepting more animals for a month because the city hadn’t paid a service that hauls away euthanized animals for cremation at a cost of about $20,000 a year. The freezers were packed with carcasses, and pens were full of live animals until the bill was paid.
    One of the dominant breeds on the street is the much feared and often abused pit bull, a fixture in the widespread dog fighting rings in Detroit. The dogs, bred for aggression, have disturbed mail delivery in the city with 25 reports of Postal Service employees being bitten. One Detroit resident was scalped by two stray dogs who attacked her on the front porch of her home.

A sad and terrible consequence of a crumbling society, these abandoned dogs are now paying the price for the waste, corruption and mismanagement that has finally destroyed the once booming Motor City.

As a dog owner myself it is heartbreaking to see the desperate position these dogs face. If you would like to help the homeless pets of Detroit, contact the Michigan Humane Society, the Michigan Animal Rescue League or the pet charity of your choice.
    When the one you love becomes a memory, that memory becomes a treasure.

I'll bet the majority of people attending sporting events do not actually live in Detroit but rather other areas.
    The Tigers are leading their division. I'm sure plenty of Michigan residents go to the games.
    Hihope Hiland Heathen of Perth CD, RE, CGC, TDI

a potential back to back triple crown winner, that's why. although he's been looking rough at the plate recently and Chris Davis has found his swing again.
    That's my boy "Blue"!!!! Flyin High in the Passenger Side x Katie May of Belgrade

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel J Simoens View Post
    a potential back to back triple crown winner, that's why. although he's been looking rough at the plate recently and Chris Davis has found his swing again.
    HGH wearing off? (My response is a statement on the state of the sport more than on MC)
    Bill Davis

This question confirms my suspicion that many like to comment about Detroit, even though they in reality know very little about the area. The Detroit Metro area, meaning the city and adjoining suburbs has a population of really close to 3.7 million people. Some of those suburbs are among the richest in the country. Of those 3.7 million, roughly 700,000 live within the city boundaries, and the majority of that 700,000 are among the metro area's poorest. Beginning back in the 1960's, right after the 1967 race riots in fact, there was massive flight from the city to the suburbs. The folks left are largely the folks who could not afford to leave. There are huge areas that are all but abandoned.

The team stadiums are located within the City of Detroit, and there are plenty of people in the metro area with MORE than enough money to attend a game.

"For everyone to whom much is given, of him shall much be required." -- Luke 12:48

Raven - Moneybird's Black Magic Marker***
    (Esprit's Power Play x Trumarc's Lean Cuisine)
    Mick - Moneybird's Jumpin' Jack Flash***
    (Clubmead's Road Warrior x Oakdale Whitewater Devil Dog)
    Peerless - Moneybird's Sole Survivor
    (Two River's Lucky Willie x Moneybird's Black Magic Marker)

Quote Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
    This question confirms my suspicion that many like to comment about Detroit, even though they in reality know very little about the area. The Detroit Metro area, meaning the city and adjoining suburbs has a population of really close to 3.7 million people. Some of those suburbs are among the richest in the country. Of those 3.7 million, roughly 700,000 live within the city boundaries, and the majority of that 700,000 are among the metro area's poorest. Beginning back in the 1960's, right after the 1967 race riots in fact, there was massive flight from the city to the suburbs. The folks left are largely the folks who could not afford to leave. There are huge areas that are all but abandoned.

The team stadiums are located within the City of Detroit, and there are plenty of people in the metro area with MORE than enough money to attend a game.

Not really getting your point. What is wrong with those who do not live in Detroit paying to go to a game?
    I'm sure if it is anything like even going to a Panthers game in Charlotte they are paying stupid money just for parking, 15 bucks for a beer etc.
    Even worse going to a game at Metlife stadium.

Quote Originally Posted by luvmylabs23139 View Post
    Not really getting your point. What is wrong with those who do not live in Detroit paying to go to a game?
    I'm sure if it is anything like even going to a Panthers game in Charlotte they are paying stupid money just for parking, 15 bucks for a beer etc.
    Even worse going to a game at Metlife stadium.
    Did I say there was anything wrong with it? I thought I was responding to UB's question:

"...how a city in bankrupcy like Detroit, can continue to 'sell-out' their baseball stadium every night? Over 40,000 attending for the Tigers, and when the football season begins, the Lions will have full stadiums as well. How are we supposed to feel badly for a city that exhibits that form of enjoyment?"

I was just trying to explain that while the city itself is really in dire straights, parts of the immediate surrounding area are doing quite well.
    "For everyone to whom much is given, of him shall much be required." -- Luke 12:48

Raven - Moneybird's Black Magic Marker***
    (Esprit's Power Play x Trumarc's Lean Cuisine)
    Mick - Moneybird's Jumpin' Jack Flash***
    (Clubmead's Road Warrior x Oakdale Whitewater Devil Dog)
    Peerless - Moneybird's Sole Survivor
    (Two River's Lucky Willie x Moneybird's Black Magic Marker)

Quote Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
    Did I say there was anything wrong with it? I thought I was responding to UB's question:

"...how a city in bankrupcy like Detroit, can continue to 'sell-out' their baseball stadium every night? Over 40,000 attending for the Tigers, and when the football season begins, the Lions will have full stadiums as well. How are we supposed to feel badly for a city that exhibits that form of enjoyment?"

I was just trying to explain that while the city itself is really in dire straights, parts of the immediate surrounding area are doing quite well.
    Sorry. I read your comment wrong. If the teams were smart they would move out of Detriot and increase their revenue.

for the non baseball fan the Tigers are a very good team, they feature a great pitcher in Justin Verlander a Triple Crown winner in Miguel Cabrera and a good longball threat in Prince Fielder...They put a good product on the field

BUT

the people attending those games are not your typical Michigander...have any of you attended and Professional sporting event lately..the ticket prices are astronomical bordering on the absurd,dont even mention the food/beer concessions...I cant even go watch a Dodger game for under $50 bucks
    All my Exes live in Texas

Quote Originally Posted by lanse brown View Post
    A few things that I learned still ring true. "Lanse when you get a gift, say thank you and walk away. When you get a screwing walk away. You are going to get a lot more screwings than gifts"

Quote Originally Posted by BonMallari View Post
    for the non baseball fan the Tigers are a very good team, they feature a great pitcher in Justin Verlander a Triple Crown winner in Miguel Cabrera and a good longball threat in Prince Fielder...They put a good product on the field

BUT

the people attending those games are not your typical Michigander...have any of you attended and Professional sporting event lately..the ticket prices are astronomical bordering on the absurd,dont even mention the food/beer concessions...I cant even go watch a Dodger game for under $50 bucks
    We quit going to Panthers games (not our team but was a fun outing) when the cost of parking, a couple of beers, a couple of burgers was more than the tickets. Same for driving to Raleigh for hockey.
    No big league baseball here but it is fun to go to Greensboro and watch the Grasshoppers. Something about Babe, Lou Lou, and Yogi
    http://www.milb.com/news/print.jsp?y...=.jsp&sid=t477

Whenever we go on vacation Magic and Buddy stay at Lou Lou's training camp.