The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Puppy environment

Default Puppy environment

I'm looking for some new/creative ways to keep puppy environment clean. Summer time is tough with these 5 week olds! What are some tricks of the trade for you guys?
    -Barton Ramsey

We raise our pups in a daylight basement with a concrete floor. We hook 2 x-pens together and then attach the ends to the whelping box. The whelping box has one wall that folds down (piano hinges) to become a ramp so they can get in and out of the whelping box whenever they want to. The two x-pens gives the litter a large area to move around in. We cover the concrete floor with pine shavings. Easy to clean with a pooper scooper. When pine shavings get saturated in spots with urine, we use a snow shovel to pick up the shavings. Then we put new pine shavings down. Sometimes we rake good shavings aside to clear the area and then mop the concrete floor with a water-bleach mixture. Puppies are confined inside the whelping box while the concrete floor is drying.

I have my puppy pen in a basement also with a walk out windowed door. I put linoleum over the concrete floor and put newspaper in a small area along with a litter box with wood pellets in it. The plastic pans you can get for a washing machine make a good puppy litter box. It's surprising how fast they learn to use the box. I keep newspaper around it because sometimes one will stand in the box and have their little but hanging over the edge when they squat. That happens less as they get older. My goal before the next litter is to paint the basement floor with garage floor paint but I will always use a litter box. It just makes things so much easier to clean up.
    Jeannie Greenlee

Blazinlakes Legally Blonde CDX JH NAJ RA WC OD (1st Retriever)
    HRCH Smokingold Guns Up CCA WCX CD MH
    https://sites.google.com/site/smokingoldretrievers/home

I do a little of both from the above posts. Like Helen, I attach two x-pens to the whelping box (mine assembles using door hinges so I just remove one end.) Pine shavings as a base to begin with. I also use a litter tray (the large one for under cages from Tractor Supply.) The pups start using the tray very quickly and then I can reduce the shavings as needed. When cleaning indoor pen, I just set up another x-pen and put pups on patio. You can't have enough x-pens for temporary set ups. I have use them to block off areas indoors and out, across the lawn or zip tied to the porch as a fencing. Pretty safe and easy.
    Denise Jepson
    Centerfield Retrievers

Five Star Fielders Choice MH
    Centerfields My-Oh-My SH
    Centerfields Waterfowl Wizard

Attitude is a little thing that makes a big difference! -Winston Churchill
    There's those that just TALK about doin' it and those that just DO IT!

Set it up like this for now. Going to get another pin so I can open the kennel back up. My labs sleep in the 5x5's.

image.jpg
    -Barton Ramsey

The potty pellet pool/ litter box is the only way to go....

Currently middle of the "Great" Plains- Ord NE

Going to build me one of these.....

kennel-feature-2.jpgkennel-feature-1.jpgkennel-10.jpg

Summer time is easy!!! It is the winter time in the house with 0 degree weather in the daytime, high winds, and 10 puppies at 5+wks old that are hard!!! The only reason that I don't have winter litters!! Well, that and the "pet only" people wanting Christmas pups!
    Last edited by firehouselabs; 08-31-2013 at 01:12 PM.
    Raina Anderson WWW.FIREHOUSELABS.COM

According to this BMI chart, I am too short !!!

Our last litter was only 2 puppies. We used the litter box approach when we took down the x-pens and put up a dog run in the basement. It worked. We put pine shavings in the litter box for absorption. The "litter box" had no floor. Don nailed 4 2x4's together to make a large square to hold in the pine shavings. We put the square down on the concrete floor inside the dog run and added the shavings. Pups were used to going on shavings. We used less pine shavings and clean up was easy. When pine shavings had to be changed, a square shovel was used to remove them. When all shavings were cleaned up, we mopped the concrete floor with bleach water, let it dry, then put down the 2x4 square and filled it with fresh new shavings. Meanwhile, the puppies were outside in a fenced puppy compound with a wading pool and plenty of toys to keep them busy.

Quote Originally Posted by firehouselabs View Post
    Going to build me one of these.....

kennel-feature-2.jpgkennel-feature-1.jpgkennel-10.jpg

Summer time is easy!!! It is the winter time in the house with 0 degree weather in the daytime, high winds, and 10 puppies at 5+wks old that are hard!!! The only reason that I don't have winter litters!! Well, that and the "pet only" people wanting Christmas pups!
    Boy, you are so right! Warm weather litters are easier. We had a litter of 12 born on Christmas Day with a snowstorm going on. Power went out. We were using flashlights and lanterns. Bad winter. Those puppies got to go outside for maybe a few hours on 3 days when they were 5 weeks old. We never got to introduce them to water. We will never have a winter litter again.

Winters here MAY drop below freezing, but rarely. Usually it's 40-50 in the day. My garage kennel is insulated & stays 60 or so without heaters all winter long!

Summer is 100* and flies, flies, flies!
    -Barton Ramsey