The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Gun Dog Broker
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bitch not standing/flagging on day 15

Default Bitch not standing/flagging on day 15

Local folks using my stud, great pedigree bitch with great health clearances.

Went over to meet & greet on day 7. The dogs sniffed around, said hey. Swung by on day 9, just because its local. Sniffed and peed.

Day 11 - she came here & he seemed interested but nothing

Day 13 - same as 11

Day 15 (today) - same

Proven stud, never delays in doing his business. Owners of botch keep her inside, they noticed blood right off the bat two Thursdays ago.

Anyone seen this happen? I've never had a female go this long without being ready.
    -Barton Ramsey

Yep, did Progesterone tests and my girl ovulated day 18, bred day 21, litter of 7. Repro vet called it "stalling."

Currently middle of the "Great" Plains- Ord NE

Maybe she's waiting to see if someone else comes along so that she can have some choice in the matter !

On a serious note, I had a bitch that wouldn't stand for the outside stud that I wanted to breed her to, but she made a beeline for her "boy toy" in the kennel building at home as soon as the car door opened, pushing her privates in his face and acting like a real hussy! We finally ended up doing a side by side AI breeding.
    Raina Anderson WWW.FIREHOUSELABS.COM

According to this BMI chart, I am too short !!!

Progesterone timing
    Jeremy
    Kankakee River HRC

Yep could be completely normal for her. If the breeding is important, pull an progesterone and be ready to AI if necessary.

Progesterone. They are all different, almost every time. My current girl was ready at day 7. Her mother on day 17.

Sue Puff
    Sue Puffenbarger
    Wirtz, VA
    www.boynelabradors.com

Agree with those that suggest the female's owner get her progesterone-tested and you should make it a requirement of your stud dog contract. Saves a lot of time and wasted energy. While the assumption that females are ready during the middle week (days 8-15) has worked well enough and long enough people still use it, bitches can and do vary widely in when they're ready to be bred. I've known of ones ready as early as day 4 and as late as day 22. If you have a decent local vet who's familiar with reproduction (instead of the kind that doles out the spay/neuter H$U$ lectures) you can alert them in case you need to do a side by side AI. A bonus for the bitch owner in getting the progesterone tests is you can pinpoint the due date for the pups with greater accuracy. It really is worthwhile, even for a local breeding.
    Julie R., Hope Springs Farm
    Chesapeake Bay Retrievers since 1981

Sometimes the bitch just doesn't like the male and won't stand. Hopefully you haven't missed her--if you haven't been doing vaginal smears, you have no way of knowing if/how she is progressing.

Progesterone test will let you know if you missed her window, or if she is just a late ovulator.

Meredith

I got an eye-opener the last breeding I did. We had tried with the same stud on a previous heat--I wasn't there but my husband and the stud owner said she "wouldn't stand." We had progesterones pinpointing the time--according to the numbers, she was ready.

This time John said "no high tech stuff." She was flagging but wouldn't stand for the dog. After a couple of days I called my friend who does a LOT of breeding (owns a whole bunch of CH stud dogs). Went into a little room in her kennel. She got me to back my bitch up against a wall in a corner, brought the stud around behind, and while I held the bitch's head, she got them tied within about a minute. Repeated the next day; equally easy. 6 Puppies on day 62.

I think in this case the bitch just doesn't stand very well. Low-tech help was effective!

Amy Dahl

No vet in town can test. They all have to ship it to their "lab". He is very interested in her, follows her around the yard nudging & sniffing. She doesn't fight him off, but she doesn't stand still.

He's not one to waste time. Last breeding we out the bitch in the yard & by the time I walked in the house & looked out the window they were tied.

I'm hoping she's just a late bloomer. We're on day 16 now. She's spent enough time w/ my stud to be good buddies by now!
    -Barton Ramsey