The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Bitch not standing/flagging on day 15

Senior Member Mike Peters-labguy23's Avatar

Last year we had a female in to be bred and she was bred on day 26 or 27. My male was interested in her for 2 weeks before he even tried to mount. Finally on day 26 or 27 we got a tie. 2 days later he wanted nothing to do with her. I wasn't to sure they would have puppies but she ended up whelping 12 healthy pups!
    Mike Peters

Had to smile at this post above. Back when I was doing natural breeding with Rascal, a breeder told me that she was not going to breed until 27th day. I thought she was crazy but told her she could wait to drive the 100 miles here if she wanted. She arrived in her van with her female . The tie was quick, easy and long. The result was 10 healthy pups. The owner had bred her before and know what would happen. Yes, this is highly unusual. But with the post by Mike Peters and this story ---- it just shows that we can't second guess nature accurately all the time. I still always would test for readiness but need to trust the two dogs involved also when it is a natural breeding..

Marilyn

Marilyn J Fender, PhD
    Windstorm Retrievers - Wisconsin and Georgia
    Home of 1996 NFC FC AFC Storm’s Riptide Star and birthplace of his son 2000 CNAFC CFC CAFC Quik Windstorm
    mf96nfc@centurytel.net

Put them in a small room or area together so they can't get too far away from each other. I know it was the opposite with Payton, she was ready but he wanted to play. After 3 days of playing we put them in a smaller dog run and they were tied up in less than 5 minutes.

Good Luck
    Mark, Peyton's Touchdown Pass (JH) and Peyton's Sun-loving Baby Bindi (Troublemaker)

Quote Originally Posted by Bartona500 View Post
    No vet in town can test. They all have to ship it to their "lab".
    That's normal for most of us. I have blood drawn as late as possible in the day, then it's shipped to W. WA. Results are faxed by the next morning to the clinic. Not sure what the problem is??? A good reliable progesterone test which yields numbers requires good equipment. Perhaps you could in the future ask your vet to buy some of the colorimetric test strips but you'd still have to do a blood draw, centrifuge/spin the blood down and test for an approximate range. Since the test strips have expiration dates, many vet clinics aren't too interested in carrying them.

Currently middle of the "Great" Plains- Ord NE

Or see if your vet can contract with your local large hospital, they can run the test for you as well.
    Raina Anderson WWW.FIREHOUSELABS.COM

According to this BMI chart, I am too short !!!

Senior Member Mike Peters-labguy23's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mark L View Post
    Put them in a small room or area together so they can't get too far away from each other. I know it was the opposite with Payton, she was ready but he wanted to play. After 3 days of playing we put them in a smaller dog run and they were tied up in less than 5 minutes.

Good Luck
    I would never do this with my stud or one of my females. I hold on to the female to limit the chances of either dog getting injured. With an experienced stud you really should not have to pen them up together to get a tie.
    Mike Peters

I have a bitch that hates Sex, so I have to AI every time. start AI and hope she will stand in between.
    Cheers,
    Richard

Senior Member Sundown49 aka Otey B's Avatar

If your stud dog is an experienced stud I would trust him. My dog Maxx sometimes would just ignore a female and go lay down and go to sleep. My younger males would be pacing, whining and slobbering and being just plain stupid. When the female was right game on with Maxx. I thought I had missed a breeding when Maxx kept ignoring the female for 28 days then game on and 11 healthy pups.
    My Dad said to me ."Son, a man just needs three things to be happy....A good dog, a good gun and a good wife.....Thank God I have all three
    Sundown's Boss of Delta Marsh JH (Louie QAA X Delta MH)
    Traveling Through The Graded Timber JH (2012 NAFC Trav X Timber MH QAA)

Sundown's Ruff And Tuff (Boss JH X Lil Bit) best pup I have ever raised
    Home of HRCH Sundown's Loaded To The Maxx (FC AFC Jamie X Dixie QAA) RIP
    www.sundownlabs.com

He tried to mount her tonight and she snapped at him. First time I've seen him really try, though.
    -Barton Ramsey

Agreed on the progesterone testing. Like mentioned above, have the vet use a lab that gets them the results back overnight. Since we are both able to draw blood, our vet orders the "instant" progesterone testing for us. She said she doesn't trust it's accuracy, but since we're usually doing live cover, we can use it in conjunction with what the dogs behavior indicate.

Last breeding I did without progesterone testing, bred by live cover day 12 & 14, resulted in one puppy born by c-section 67 days from the first breeding (Oct 12 first breeding, born Dec 18). She had been bred by live cover previously on days 14 & 16 resulting in litters of 9 & 10. We were WAY too early breeding on the last pregnancy.

We've done two breedings this year using the "at home" kit, first one was "double checked" by the vet using slides, with litters of 7 and 9 on the two litters. The first litter, the bitch was not "ready" until day 15 (both the slide and dog confirmed she wasn't ready on the Saturday before the breeding that was day 14). Her first litter that was born 2.5 years prior she was ready in the "typical days. Had I tried on the "normal day 10-14" and quit trying, we would have missed that breeding. We also would have "wasted" money in travel since we would have been waiting for her to "get ready". The second bitch was "ready" on day 12.

The progesterone testing has made it a lot easier for knowing "when" as well as a time and money saver due to us using outside studs...
    High Tess JH
    Cedar Swamp's Linden JH
    Cedar Swamp's Cuttin a Rug
    Cedar Swamp's Holy Terror JH (3 SH passes)
    Blackfoot's Mr Independence at Cedar Swamp JH
    Cedar Swamp's Angel in Disguise
    Cedar Swamp's Test Pilot
    Cedar Swamp's Bonanza
    Cedar Swamp's Twisted Sister

Others have also graced our hearts...gone not forgotten.
    RC Buckshot of Seven Hickories MH
    Ceader Swamp's Deuces Wild SH
    Fallen Timber's Second Chance MH
    Ceader Swamp's Mac Millett SH
    and several others...