The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Switching food, need advice

Default Switching food, need advice

I have 6 month old lab, will be training/hunting this season, suggestions on food to prepare him for cold weather and increased exercise. Thanks

Vet put him on Hills Prescription Joint diet at 4 months to help with joint support due to him being a large puppy.

Quote Originally Posted by CodyC View Post
    I have 6 month old lab, will be training/hunting this season, suggestions on food to prepare him for cold weather and increased exercise. Thanks

Vet put him on Hills Prescription Joint diet at 4 months to help with joint support due to him being a large puppy.
    Cody - I am guessing a 'Dog Food' search would net you quite a few argument threads already.
    We shoot dogs with a Canon

I am looking at Purina Pro Plan, Diamond Hi-energy, or Blue Life Protection as options...

Any of the there should be just fine. I use the Pro-Plan, but there are MANY MANY good expensive and inexpensive foods...

Also- Look at the ingredients...

Thanks, Yeah I have been doing the research and have a good understanding of the importance of ingredients. I am trying to get good advice from people who have been there done that. He is pretty low key right now, and has been all summer because it is so hot and he hasn't go a lot of motivation but when the weather starts to get cooler, I will be able to work him more and he is not going to be so lethargic so he is going to need a higher quality food. Thanks again, keep um coming.

I switched from Nutrasource to Dr. Tims recently and am very happy with it.

Also- About time of year and food... with MOST dogs, the energy is in the personality not the food and good food is used for long term health vs. short term energy/training and weight gain/loss...

Been very happy with 4health at Tractor Supply http://www.tractorsupply.com/content...g-page_4health. Used ProPlan, Euk, Science Diet and prefer 4Health over all of them

If it was my pup I would continue to feed him the same food he is on now. I am of the school that my pups are on a high quality large breed pup food until they are 1 year old. Then I switch to high performance adult food such as Pro Plan Performance. Your current puppy food, as your vet states, helps to control growth, builds strong joints, and helps control possible future joint problems. I would not mess with that advise for anything for the pups health sake. If you do hunt him relatively hard I would just give him marginally more food before and after hunting to boost his stamina and help mend his muscles after work. On the off days feed normally. I do pretty much the same with my adult dogs as well. My 2 cents worth
    HRCH Scaupgetters Seminole Ben SH WCX
    NMH GMH HRCH Heads Up Lightning Strikes WCX

Thanks for all the advice. Only thing is, I just don't feel like that food is really doing anything different for him. It's just a food with joint supplements in it and it cost $75 for 30lb bag. I feel like if I get him on a high quality food that has a better protein to fat ratio he will build better muscle and be healthier all around. His stools aren't very consistent on this food also. Sometimes they are real loose but they are never solid. And he poops a lot

Quote Originally Posted by ad18 View Post
    If it was my pup I would continue to feed him the same food he is on now. I am of the school that my pups are on a high quality large breed pup food until they are 1 year old. Then I switch to high performance adult food such as Pro Plan Performance. Your current puppy food, as your vet states, helps to control growth, builds strong joints, and helps control possible future joint problems. I would not mess with that advise for anything for the pups health sake. If you do hunt him relatively hard I would just give him marginally more food before and after hunting to boost his stamina and help mend his muscles after work. On the off days feed normally. I do pretty much the same with my adult dogs as well. My 2 cents worth