The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Switching food, need advice

Banned

I am surprised a Vet put a puppy on a therapeutic diet that is meant for older dogs with joint problems. Never heard of something like this. Sounds a bit odd. Unless there is a medical reason for this, take the dog off this diet and get your money back, all of it. I am sure Hills would be surprised that a diet like this was "prescribed" for a healthy puppy.

It doesn't meet any the established nutritional standards for puppies, and the established standards are extremely low.
    Last edited by SpinRetriever; 09-01-2013 at 06:59 AM.

I've always fed either Eukanuba or Pro Plan large breed puppy food. These foods, in my opinion, are pretty much what you need in regards to nutrients and are formulated to keep your pups growth/weight in check as bones and joints develop. Lord knows there is a ton of other good foods to select from. Obviously by your description the food is not "performing" in the dog as it should. I would talk to your vet and find out exactly why he/she recommended the food they did. Then go to your reputable local pet food source, give them your requirements, and see what they suggest. Take their suggestions, find a formula that best meets your cost requirements, and give it a shot. I've had to do this a couple of times with my adult dogs and sometimes you get lucky with the cheaper foods. But I usually end up with the mid to high price foods anyways. Good luck.
    HRCH Scaupgetters Seminole Ben SH WCX
    NMH GMH HRCH Heads Up Lightning Strikes WCX

Yeah thanks. She put him on that joint diet because when he was about 4 months old he played too hard with my brothers lab and had some soreness in his back legs. We thought he may have had hip dysplasia so we x rayed him. Turned out his hips were looking good but there was some laxity in his joints (typical in growing puppies) so she put him on that stuff to help tighten his joints and slow his growth down a little (he is a large dog). Now I monitor his playing around other dogs and don't let him go so hard so I am thinking I can get him back on a good performance food as he is starting to get older (6 months now).

Quote Originally Posted by CodyC View Post
    Thanks, Yeah I have been doing the research and have a good understanding of the importance of ingredients. I am trying to get good advice from people who have been there done that. He is pretty low key right now, and has been all summer because it is so hot and he hasn't go a lot of motivation but when the weather starts to get cooler, I will be able to work him more and he is not going to be so lethargic so he is going to need a higher quality food. Thanks again, keep um coming.
    North Carolina !!!!
    Cooler ,would be our summer!....If you want Fat, then feed Fat!
    All Summer being hot would say -get in the water- no weight on the bones but builds up muscle and gets rid of the fat!!!
    There is no ''manufacturer'' or brand name for ''your dog''!..but you can 'manufacture' your own ?...
    Wal-Mart or some other store has all the ingredients at a fraction of cost!
    Best of all is 'raw tripe'!..But hey...It don't come in tins or fancy handy plastic bags.
    You only get out what you put in!
    One Shooter One Spaniel One Retriever

Get him off Science Diet and onto a good food. Pretty much anything is better. The amount of food allergies that happen since they switched their formula a few years ago is ridiculous. Pedigree is a better food than Science Diet! Natural Balance does the exact same thing with better ingredients. Unless you have to feed their prescription food for kidneys and what not don't feed it.
    Steph

Brittany - Border Collie/Springer Spaniel CGC
    Meka- Basset/Aussie
    Zoe's Taller N Me - Zoe Irish Wolfhound 9/04/2004 - 11/20/2013 I love you Big Girl!
    Ember Raise The Bar CGC - Corona (a fluffy)
    CH. Justa Gingersnap CGC - Ginger Shiba Inu

A good friend helps you up when you fall. A best friend pees their pants laughing and trips you again!

Yeah I have decided to put him on Pro Plan Sport All Life Stages 30/20. He is a big boy (65 lbs at 6 months) and I think the extra protein and better ingredients will help him gain muscle mass to support his frame.

i had the same prob with the inconsistant stools until she was a year old. It think she grew out of it more than food myself. but around the same time i switched to natural choice by nutro. but theres no prob with consistancy and they got a bunch difernt flavors with out really switching brands. i like the venison and potato or lamb brown rice. shes a high energy dog that never seems to stop. its what works for me. good luck

Thanks a lot. I started him on it yesterday and can see an immediate change in consistency of his poop. I think this stuff is going to be good for him. I just hope we didn't mess up too bad by having him on that other stuff for 2 months.

Cody, check out Dr Tim's before you make a decission. Dr Tim's is a much better quality food, I switched about a year ago from PPP and would never put my dogs back on that stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Pudelpointer View Post
    Cody, check out Dr Tim's before you make a decission. Dr Tim's is a much better quality food, I switched about a year ago from PPP and would never put my dogs back on that stuff.
    Ok cool. I will. one question though. you mind me asking why you switched and why you said "you would never put your dogs back on that stuff" if so many reputable breeders and dog trainers use it?? Just wondering, there is a lot of mixed reviews and feelings on the food subject.