The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Switching food, need advice

Quote Originally Posted by CodyC View Post
    Ok cool. I will. one question though. you mind me asking why you switched and why you said "you would never put your dogs back on that stuff" if so many reputable breeders and dog trainers use it?? Just wondering, there is a lot of mixed reviews and feelings on the food subject.
    Might be better food for same price per #. I switched because I had a negative experience with the pet store. Within two weeks I noticed firmer stools with a softer coat. I didn't have any problems on PP Selects. If you really want to laugh check out http://dogfoodchat.com/forum/ . Some people have way to much time.
    Last edited by sick lids; 09-04-2013 at 08:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by CodyC View Post
    Ok cool. I will. one question though. you mind me asking why you switched and why you said "you would never put your dogs back on that stuff" if so many reputable breeders and dog trainers use it?? Just wondering, there is a lot of mixed reviews and feelings on the food subject.
    Cody,

There is just too much corn in PPP. A couple of my dogs had allergy problems on it and if you compare the ingredients with Dr Tim's there is no comparison. I feed less, my dogs coat and energy level improved and I would rather spend a little more and feed what I believe is the very best for them.

Banned

I am really picky about what I eat and what the dogs eat. If Dr. Tim's, Annamaet or Red Paw didn't exist, I would make food and freeze it. My buddy has a commercial kitchen with some giant pressure cookers and I can easily make 6 months worth of food in one day and freeze it there. I can understand that the price difference for a kennel operator is substantial, but for a person with a few dogs it comes out to a few beers a month. A teeth cleaning where I am will run $500 - $750 so feeding better avoids spending that money.

Find a list of foods that you can get locally and can afford then go here and find out what the best of those on the list is;
    http://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/
    Jeannie Greenlee

Blazinlakes Legally Blonde CDX JH NAJ RA WC OD (1st Retriever)
    HRCH Smokingold Guns Up CCA WCX CD MH
    https://sites.google.com/site/smokingoldretrievers/home

All very good advice. I have a tractor supply near by and they have a lot of the "top end" foods mentioned. I have already purchased a bag of PPP sport so I guess I will be using that until I have a need to change. Already I can see improvements in the dogs stool.