The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Gun Dog Broker
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lame on right rear leg, how serious?

Default Lame on right rear leg, how serious?

My field trial dog, Ripple, at five and half years came up lame after a combination of an early morning grouse hunt and followed by a training session of a triple and a blind no great distance.
    She is 53-54 pounds and athletically fit.
    The day started with the grouse hunt. She had 2-3 hours rest after hunting grouse. Then came the field trial training session.
    After the training session she had a 2-3 hour rest in her crate in the truck. She seemed fine other than a slight limp when I took into the house from the truck.
    Left her at home when I went about doing some chores and shopping.
    When I returned home a couple of hours later she would hardly put her hear leg down. She showed no sign of being in pain other than the not putting her back leg down.

We have an appointment to see the veterinarian first thing Tuesday morning as Monday is a holiday.
    Well as any of you know these dogs are special to us and this one is to me.
    I am hoping it is not an ACL tear.
    Anyone see this type of lameness and what is your experienced or educated idea what I have with Ripple's lameness?
    Last edited by Ironwood; 09-01-2013 at 09:05 PM.

Unfortunately, I have experienced this with several of my dogs. I think your dog has torn its ACL.
    Competition does not build character - It reveals it.

Home of:
    FC/AFC Freeridin Wowie Zowie (2003 NARC Finalist)
    FC/AFC Sky Hy Husker Power
    FC/AFC Freeridin Smooth Operator
    FC/AFC Freeridin Vampire Slayer (2007 NARC Finalist)
    AFC Freeridin Maserati (Double Header Winner)

www.freeridinretrievers.com

I also think it is a torn CCL (cranial cruciate ligament). Dogs technically don't have an ACL, like humans do. Unfortunately, the result is the same. Dr. Ed did a comprehensive thread regarding the rehab of one of his dogs following TPLO. Many of USC have been through it. It is not the end of that world, but it does stink.
    Susan

FC Tribute to Justice, JH "Honor"
    FC Contempt of Court "Ruckus"
    www.justiceretrievers.com

Daniel
    Sorry to hear this about Ripple. It's hard not to think the worst in regards to hind leg lameness.
    My Libby also wouldn't put weight on a hind leg this week. She pulled away pretty hard when I palpated her toe and indeed the diagnosis is a severely fractured toe. She is having the toe removed next week.
    Could be anything. Groin, CCL, toe, etc.
    Marcy
    Marcy Wright

Sorry to hear but, been there done that!!!!!! Sounds like ACL
    Wizardrheas Roxtar MH (Roxie)
    Hibrass' She's Gotcha All Choked Up (Briley) Born 12/14/2013
    Sophie ( Bed Bug Detection Beagle)
    Mariah's Sunshine Tess (3-30-2000 / 8-10-2012) RIP Old Girl

This isn't a social event!!! Get a dog on the line!!

Thanks all. I checked her digits, no negative reflex to gently moving them. I wish you guys were wrong but I am afraid your diagnosis is likely accurate.
    Thanks again. I appreciate you took the time to reply.

Daniel Shnitka

It does sound suspicious coming so soon in relation to working him but if he is in doubt, ask your vet about doing a full tick panel when you go in. My 18 month old came up lame a month or so ago. It was on a Monday morning after a particularly grueling weekend of training and I convinced myself it was a torn ligament. He wouldn't put any weight on his right rear leg at all. The vet said his stifle seemed stable and was hopeful it was just a groin pull or tendinitis. After a couple of days of pain meds & crate rest the lameness seemed to shift from his right side to the left. Long story short ... a second opinion and a full tick panel he tested positive for both Rocky Mtn Spotted Fever and Erlichiosis. Within a couple days on antibotiocs the limp was gone, after a month on doxy you'd never know there was anything wrong.

Hoping for a better outcome regards ...

SHR Turtlecreek's This 'Ol Cowboy - Tucker
    HRCH Oak Point's Traveling Man - Mason

Well a day and a half of rest and a controlled walk along the creek for a short distance showed no signs of lameness. Ripple shows appears to putting her full weight on the leg. She sits straight and lays straight with no leg splayed out from her body. Tomorrow in the morning the Vet can give me her opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Ironwood View Post
    Well a day and a half of rest and a controlled walk along the creek for a short distance showed no signs of lameness. Ripple shows appears to putting her full weight on the leg. She sits straight and lays straight with no leg splayed out from her body. Tomorrow in the morning the Vet can give me her opinion.
    things are looking up,i hope the news from the vet will be good
    if it flies it dies

Carefully watch the first 3 steps after the dog has rested/slept/been crated for a few hours. Often the underlying lameness will be noticeable during those first few steps. After that, the dog often compensates with the other three legs, making it difficult to tell if the 4th leg has an issue or not.
    Jeff Telander
    Durham, NC

FC AFC CT Broad Reach Devil Made Me Doit "Sinner"

Forever in my heart
    OTCh Broad Reach Diesel TD MH UDX2***
    CH Broad Reach Gripper UD MH
    OTCh R Labs Darth Wader TD JH
    OTCh Teracroft Topaz TD JH