The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lame on right rear leg, how serious?

The Only right way to do a drawer test to test for CCL rupture is to give them some light anesthesia. Otherwise they can tighten up and disguise the laxity in the ligament. Especially if it is only a partial tear. Don't try to salvage a partial tear with a competitive dog. It will only continue to tear. You will just waste a lot of time and money trying to salvage a partial.

Hope is something easier. And less expensive!
    Susan

FC Tribute to Justice, JH "Honor"
    FC AFC Contempt of Court "Ruckus"
    Medal Of Honor, QAA "Valor"
    HRCH Kirby's High Sierra, SH, QAA "Kirby"
    HRCH Niki Snowbird, SH, QAA "Niki"
    Southland Order In the Court, QAA "Gavel" July 17, 2002- March 24, 2013
    Southland Rusty Nail - derby points, qual placements "Rusty"
    www.justiceretrievers.com

After resting through the night she did not put her right leg down for one or two steps. After that her gait seemed normal with out any head bobbing. She stayed home and rested all Monday and showed no signs on a short controlled walk. My vet is in small animal practice though have had need to call upon her to test for CCL. I'm in unchartered waters, I hope she is not.
    Thanks Jeff and Susan for the advice.
    Regards,
    Daniel

Quote Originally Posted by Ironwood View Post
    After resting through the night she did not put her right leg down for one or two steps. After that her gait seemed normal
    Sorry to hear that. If it was my dog, I would be scheduling an appointment with an orthopedic vet sooner rather than later. On the other hand, I don't live in Victoria, British Columbia.

I wish you and your dog the best.
    Jeff Telander
    Durham, NC

FC AFC CT Broad Reach Devil Made Me Doit CD "Sinner"
    Broad Reach Smarty Pants

Forever in my heart
    OTCh Broad Reach Diesel TD MH UDX2***
    CH Broad Reach Gripper UD MH
    OTCh R Labs Darth Wader TD JH
    OTCh Teracroft Topaz TD JH

After a thorough examination the diagnosis is Ripple has superficial swelling to her tendons connecting her two out side digits to the tendons running up the back of the stifle where there is also swelling to the sheath around the tendons.

X-rays for tomorrow are scheduled. Rest for a week, laser therapy treatment will begin immediately and go for about ten days to two weeks.

Training will begin again in a week with no launches from hard or grass / soft surfaces. I'll be using hip waders or chest waders to bring her in at heel and then launching for marks or blinds.

Obedience training is permitted with repeated stands and sits with her right side tight to a wall.

Diet: Slight cut back in food to keep her weight stable while on a reduced training regime.

She begins receiving a prescribed dosage of Meloxicam once a day for the next ten days.

A dosage of two fish oil capsules once a day for the omega 3 they contain to help boost the heeling / immune system.

The vet's concern is not to let this acute injury turn into a chronic health issue.

Good luck. I hope it works for your dog.

My dog's minor CCL injury a year ago, has turned into a chronic issue. She tore it more this summer, repair is not likely to work due to the chronic nature of the tearing. The orthopedic doesn't think repairing it would hold. It has been recommended to fuse the joint. We are taking her to another orthopedic for a second opinion.
    Paula

HR Dixie's Southern Comfort IV, MH
    http://www.huntinglabpedigree.com/pedigree.asp?id=68040

“The beauty of the Second Amendment is it will not be needed until they try to take it.” - Thomas Jefferson

These dogs do such athletic feats that we are amazed at level of speed, grace, and energy which they perform. As many of you have replied, we have all experienced worry and the sinking feeling in our gut when an injury occurs and wonder if this will be career ending.
    I'll be more mindful of the 75-150 percent rule going forward.

Quote Originally Posted by P J View Post
    Good luck. I hope it works for your dog.

My dog's minor CCL injury a year ago, has turned into a chronic issue. She tore it more this summer, repair is not likely to work due to the chronic nature of the tearing. The orthopedic doesn't think repairing it would hold. It has been recommended to fuse the joint. We are taking her to another orthopedic for a second opinion.
    It sounds as if your back is wanting to do an extracapsular repair. This is based on the old piano wire technique. They typically don't hold for a younger more active Labrador. They seem to work fine for small pet dogs. It seems as if the gold standard remains the TPLO across the country. Some vets swear by the TTA however. Although there is a field champion who ran on bilateral tightropes.

It is good that you were getting a second opinion. The TPLO certainly do hold as they are made out of titanium plates. The surgery is expensive. Especially in certain parts of the country. Well worth it to keep arthritis from setting in and give the dog a quality-of-life. But it is all what your pocketbook can afford and there are less expensive options.

good luck
    Susan

FC Tribute to Justice, JH "Honor"
    FC AFC Contempt of Court "Ruckus"
    Medal Of Honor, QAA "Valor"
    HRCH Kirby's High Sierra, SH, QAA "Kirby"
    HRCH Niki Snowbird, SH, QAA "Niki"
    Southland Order In the Court, QAA "Gavel" July 17, 2002- March 24, 2013
    Southland Rusty Nail - derby points, qual placements "Rusty"
    www.justiceretrievers.com