The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Gun Dog Broker

Thread: Experienced breeder ? - whelping

Default Experienced breeder ? - whelping

My female has had two previous litters. The first produced a singleton and the second litter was a litter of (2). Both litters were taken via C-section. Well, we rolled the dice again hoping for a larger litter the third time around. Good news, Ultrasound shows 'at least' 7 puppies. Based on her size, I'm guessing more like 10! We'll get a final count when we go in on the 14th for x-rays. That said, I'd be interested to hear feedback from those who have had a C-section or two followed by whelping naturally. Recommended, any risks of natural after having (2) c-sections, etc..

Thanks for the advice.
    Tim

I've never had one have 2 C's but the one whelped a litter of 8 just fine after the one C. If she's in good physical shape, she should be fine. Do you have any breeders nearby who can maybe come help?

I've had three litters from one bitch. First litter 3 pups she got two out third pulled at the vet vaginally. Next litter of 7 born via c-section no contractions ever started, third litter 3 pups one born naturally then two big males via c-section. Depending on your confidence level I'd likely do a c-section. I wanted to try naturally with this last litter but should have just scheduled the c-section. If we breed her again I will just schedule it for piece of mind and the bitches safety.
    ~Cortney Bally~

Home of:
    HRCH Fairwinds Bayou Boogie Woogie WCX MH *** (10/05)
    HRCH Elm Creek's' Koa WCX MH (07/07)
    HRCH Nebo's Uptown Girl MH *** (04/08)
    HR Bally's What Else But Hunt WCX SH *** (11/09)
    HR Bally's What Happens In Vegas WC SH (02/10)
    HR Bally's Swinging For The Fence JH *** (08/10)
    HRCH Bally's Best Blonde Joke JH (03/12)

Quote Originally Posted by Bally's Gun Dogs View Post
    I've had three litters from one bitch. First litter 3 pups she got two out third pulled at the vet vaginally. Next litter of 7 born via c-section no contractions ever started, third litter 3 pups one born naturally then two big males via c-section. Depending on your confidence level I'd likely do a c-section. I wanted to try naturally with this last litter but should have just scheduled the c-section. If we breed her again I will just schedule it for piece of mind and the bitches safety.

Here is a very good case for why you want to do progesterone testing too, not only to increase your odds of a full litter, but it sure makes scheduling a C-section more accurate if you were to have to do one.

Quote Originally Posted by windycanyon View Post
    I've never had one have 2 C's but the one whelped a litter of 8 just fine after the one C. If she's in good physical shape, she should be fine. Do you have any breeders nearby who can maybe come help?
    We've whelped litters before. So I'm ok with whelping. However, never from a bitch who had previous c-sections. Hence the question is it even worth attempting a natural delivery. . We'll discuss with our vet on the 14th but was interested in real world experience.

I have had a bitch that had a singleton via c-section and went on to whelp 3 litters vaginally without a hitch. IMHO natural is better as long as there is not a problem.
    Jeannie Greenlee

Blazinlakes Legally Blonde CDX JH NAJ RA WC OD (1st Retriever)
    HRCH Smokingold Guns Up CCA WCX CD MH
    https://sites.google.com/site/smokingoldretrievers/home

Quote Originally Posted by TJ Shanahan View Post
    We've whelped litters before. So I'm ok with whelping. However, never from a bitch who had previous c-sections. Hence the question is it even worth attempting a natural delivery. . We'll discuss with our vet on the 14th but was interested in real world experience.
    And my point is, if you don't by chance have the progesterone/ovulation timing behind you on this, you will definitely want to do progesterone timing on the other end so you know when to schedule the C safely. Done too early or too late, you may lose the litter.

Quote Originally Posted by windycanyon View Post
    And my point is, if you don't by chance have the progesterone/ovulation timing behind you on this, you will definitely want to do progesterone timing on the other end so you know when to schedule the C safely. Done too early or too late, you may lose the litter.
    We did numerous progesterones followed by a surgical AI.

Quote Originally Posted by TJ Shanahan View Post
    We did numerous progesterones followed by a surgical AI.
    That's good. It's just that I seem to be reading so many posts lately where people still don't really get why they should do progesterone. Sure has taken much of the guesswork out of planning a due date for me and since progesterones are an overnight thing for many of us, doing them at the other end of the pregnancy is not all that helpful if you have to schedule a C either. My emergency clinic is at least 2x more on C's than a regular clinic.

I would check the progesterone level again and make sure it is not dropping too fast. It needs to stay above a certain level prior to two weeks out, otherwise the mother can start to absorb some pups. Your vet should know all the details, as I have them written down at home. Had it happen with 3 pups confirmed via ultrasound and then on x-ray showed 1 pup.