RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

New Rule for JH ? NO collar at all

18K views 61 replies 32 participants last post by  Pupknuckle 
#1 ·
The judges this weekend said that there is a new rule in JH . YOU CANNOT come to line on a flat buckle collar anymore, but can loop a lead and hold both ends. Does anyone have to official verbage to this new rule?

#3 ·
Just checked the rule book on line AGAIN, read it twice. Compared against my hard copy. It still says brought to the line on lead with a flat buckle collar. I would like to know if there have been amended rules and where they are found?

Section 5. Junior Hunting Tests. Dogs shall be tested on a minimum of four single marks, two on land and two on
water. No more than two marks may be thrown in a series.
Judges in keeping with simulation of realistic but
relatively simple hunting situations must remember the
use of numerous decoys, islands, points of land, rolling
terrain, cover, ditch lines, wind direction, etc. are important
factors to consider when designing test scenarios to
evaluate Junior dogs as capable hunting companions.
(1) Dogs may be sent to retrieve more than once,
but only in cases of confusion as described in Chapter 4,
Section 7.
(2) Dogs shall be steady but may be brought to the line
on leash with a flat buckle collar.
The dog is under judgement
when it leaves the holding blind. A Junior dog that
is not under control when brought to the line (jumping,
strongly tugging, etc.) even though it is on a leash shall
risk receiving a lower score in trainability including zero
in extreme cases. Dogs may be restrained gently with a
slipcord looped through the flat buckle collar, or held gently
by the flat buckle collar until sent to retrieve,
(3) A dog must retrieve to hand. Failure to do so
merits a grade of “0” in Trainability.
(4) A dog may be encouraged to hunt, but excessive
noise in encouraging the dog suggests a lack of hunting
desire and a low grade in Perseverance is required.

#5 ·
Just left a message at AKC will let you know what I find. Anybody have Fran's contact info?

#6 ·
/Paul you are just wantin to find out if we can use a choke!! come on , fess up....

#8 ·
They said it went into effect on Sunday 9/1 . JH was Sat so we still used the buckle collar.....

#9 ·
Fabulous.

I don't recall reading this in any emails or on-line. I assume(don't say it) that AKC will be most timely in updating their website and making note of these changes?

Good news Cantrell--you can now use the lead as a choke collar~~ BRILLIANT!! :)

#12 ·
The AKC is not that good at updating their web site, but they are good at getting the rules changes out to clubs. The last changes of which I am aware came out in late July and took effect on September 1. This was the clarification on the walkup in SH and the requirement for judges to keep their sheets. I haven't seen anything from them since that.

#10 ·
NOPE sorry Nancy , can't use it like a slip...only looped around the neck.... I just went back and read the minutes from July and did not see it. Maybe from August which is not posted yet? OR MAYBE the judges were mistaken....

#13 ·
Fran and Kathy said, the judges!

#14 ·
Judges wouldn't make up their own rules would they?

#15 ·
LOL Wellll ........

I hope not.....they may have been wrong , which is why I am asking if anyone heard anything similar ....

#16 ·
It would have had to been included in the addendum with the walk up. Three clubs I know of shared the AKCs rule Change on walk up. Can't imagine they wouldn't have contacted clubs for such a significant rule such as no flat collars in JH.

#33 ·
Ding ding Ding!!! A winner. Add that HT committees are responsible for making sure that tests are within the rules. The real ones, not something that a judge conjured up. And, handlers have a responsibility to know the rules and question judges and the HT committee when the rules are violated.

#26 ·
The judges this weekend said that there is a new rule in JH . YOU CANNOT come to line on a flat buckle collar anymore, but can loop a lead and hold both ends. Does anyone have to official verbage to this new rule?
And we should believe this because.....?????????????.........I call BS. Would have heard about it via thr RTF express long time ago.

#27 ·
This is straight out of the AKC manual...

(2) Dogs shall be steady but may be brought to the line on leash with a flat buckle collar. The dog is under judge- ment when it leaves the holding blind. A Junior dog that is not under control when brought to the line (jumping, strongly tugging, etc.) even though it is on a leash shall risk receiving a lower score in trainability including zero in extreme cases. Dogs may be restrained gently with a slipcord looped through the flat buckle collar, or held gently by the flat buckle collar until sent to retrieve,

#28 ·
I was at a HT last weekend and at junior part of the time. Collars were used and nothing was mentioned of any rule in effect or pending. Like others, I have heard nothing about this change to the rules nor can I find anything in print to reference it. Our club was not notified of any changes in junior and I spent most of the year with someone on the advisory committee, nothing ever mentioned. Assuming no one at the test had heard of this change, nothing was said to challenge these judges? Like the HT committee asking for their proof or source of information since it doesn't exist in the rule book?

#34 ·
The JH was on Sat , they said the rule started on Sun, 9/1 . I am just relaying what two judges said at the handlers meeting / test scenario. I along with many others said "Excuse me? " but the judges said "Honest , tomorrow (Sun 9/1) the rule takes effect"
So I was not in a position to call them out on it , as they were not breaking a rule.......

#35 ·
For what it is worth , I ​ do know the rules, and I do pay attention . Just relaying what we told ....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.