The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What decoys do you prefer?

Quote Originally Posted by waller1 View Post
    G&H decoys, they might not be the prettiest decoy but they will last forever.
    ^^^^^^^ This. If their goose decoys are like their duck decoys you will be very pleased. They are American made also. Ducks think they're pretty realistic

Danny

Avian X all day........every day!
    Ken
    Ken Arbogast

DSD are still the most realist.First to come out with the new plastic etc.Everybody else copied them.We hunt lessers and cacklers that fly in large groups that get a lot of pressure.We still fool em sometimes.My fault not the decoys.

Jeff
    Jeff Gruber
    working on pelts
    Duckponds Prize Package
    CK'S Contessa (avatar)
    Ice Chilled Juice

Quote Originally Posted by amretrievers View Post
    I'm new to this whole goose hunting over decoys thing and I am looking for people's input on what brand of decoys to purchase. I have looked at Bigfoot, Hardcore, and Greenhead Gear. Anyone prefer these or something else?
    Start small for now. You can always add later....Get into some silos for now...You can usually buy them on craigslist or ebay and then go from there if you like it. That way you are not out of a lot of money...
    My penny worth....

For full body geese, the original bigfoots, not the b2. Ducks G&H.

Got an assortment of fullbodies and shells. They all seem to work.
    Now duck decoys...
    I've switched over to a few dozen avian x's.
    Still have the old ones and getting a dozen ghg widgeons next time I make to town.

When the Bigfoots first came out, they were the bomb. I still have about 3 dozen made way back when. They've been used and abused for a long time, and still look good. The only thing they require is reflocking now and then. However, Bigfoots are bulky and take up alot of room.

Alot of the newer full bodies , equiped with motion stakes have a more life like appearance when in a good breeze. They dance around a bit more then bigfoots. Paint that flakes off, and harder plastics that don't take the abuse of older models seem to be the biggest concern of guys buying full bodies today. Plus the price. Some of the better full bodies are VERY expensive.

No matter what decoy you run, being on the X is more important. Find the X, and be well hidden, thats far more important. Scout alot, and hunt when you find the concentrations of birds that are in huntable places.

Steve
    "Are you a good witch, or a bad witch ?" Glinda, the good witch of the North.

I said G&H not GHG.... Anyone that doesn't know the difference hasn't hunted very long.
    Maple Ridge's Flyboy Buzz Lightyear "Buzz"

"War is delightful to those who have had no experience of it"
    www.freedomhunters.org

Bigfoots for goose decoys and old beatup 20+ years Flambeau's for duck decoys.

Wasn't even aware G&H made a full body honker decoy. I have about 3 doz duck floaters that have literally been drug down a gravel road and still are in decent shape after many many years of hunting over them. They're made like tanks. See if you can find some used Bigfoots without flocked heads which are even older models to save yourself some money and spend an afternoon flocking the heads. You can pile them up in any means of transportation you have and not have to worry about stakes or bases or them getting beat up.
    Cody's Gunslingin' Cosmonaut MH (Shooter)