The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: White Coats for training for Hunt Test Dogs

Default White Coats for training for Hunt Test Dogs

For those who run HT's exclusively...

To what degree (if at all) do you use visible gunners in teaching marking concepts?

I used to think it would be wrong to train HT dogs with white coats, and struggled when I trained with small group of all FT people. I tried to bring camo shirts for them all Reviewed Lardy's and Farmer/Aycock videos recently(due to new pup). They said is OK to train HT dogs with white coats, especially in beginning. As long as also teach hidden gunners.

I use white a lot, especially with what I consider configuration tests. Hip pockets, reverse hip pockets, indents, inlines and over unders would be difficult to teach without the dog identifying the gun stations. Making the gun stations extremely obvious and visible, helps my dogs understand the concepts. My $2 white fence posts with a coat hanger & t shirt are an integral part of my hunt test training.
    Mark Land

Senior Member Sundown49 aka Otey B's Avatar

I use white coats all the time. The dogs see the marks and they SEE me when I give a cast. When teaching I want the dog to see where to go and when running blinds I want to know they see the cast I am giving. Mark put it on a post very well above...
    My Dad said to me ."Son, a man just needs three things to be happy....A good dog, a good gun and a good wife.....Thank God I have all three
    Sundown's Boss of Delta Marsh JH (Louie QAA X Delta MH)
    Traveling Through The Graded Timber JH (2012 NAFC Trav X Timber MH QAA)

Sundown's Ruff And Tuff (Boss JH X Lil Bit) best pup I have ever raised
    Home of HRCH Sundown's Loaded To The Maxx (FC AFC Jamie X Dixie QAA) RIP
    www.sundownlabs.com

Except for a few instances teaching a dog to learn to swing with a gun with silent throws for HRC finished, train all marks with white coats. All MH and HRCH dogs (run trials also) don't set up hunt test type marks either, all field trial marking set ups. The same with handling use white coats in training. In my opinion the dog seeing handlers, or hearing wingers go off or duck calls for attention, seeing holding blinds etc is a non issue at hunt tests for my dogs. The adage , some will disagree, you can teach most retrievers to do blinds, but, you can't teach them to mark might hold true..white enhances that marking ability in my opinion..all the trial trained dogs we own are hunted extensively too. Realize the OP said hunt tests exclusively , but, just added my two cents for informational purposes.
    Earl Dillow

Whatever the game, I can't imagine teaching marking concepts without white coats.
    David Didier, GA

I don't own a white coat and have been pretty pleased with my training results. I may use a white stickman or bucket in the field when teaching a concept, but in training for hunt tests (even when training long distances), I have never seen the need for a white coat. That's just my experience...... maybe I could have done better with a white coat.....
    Mike Tome
    Duckdog's Fast Autofocus
    GMHRCH-III WR North Star's Deuce of Diamonds

MHR WR Pondview's Bar None 1994-2006

Duckdogphotography.smugmug.com

I started using white coats when I started stretching my 2 out to 150-300 yards. Especially on the blinds. When they are out past 100 yards and you have camo on they can't see what cast you're giving them when you have a brushy background. It's amazing how they respond when they know what you're asking for.

Quote Originally Posted by DonBrou View Post
    I started using white coats when I started stretching my 2 out to 150-300 yards. Especially on the blinds. When they are out past 100 yards and you have camo on they can't see what cast you're giving them when you have a brushy background. It's amazing how they respond when they know what you're asking for.
    This. If you have one who likes to go on autopilot anyway, he doesn't need to know when he is getting toward the end of a blind. If you thus need to run blinds at 250-300 yards and you intend to use pressure for cast refusals, you really need to be sure the dog can see you and knows what you are asking for. Always try to be fair to the dog.
    Steve Wyatt

HR Belle's Rolling Big Rig "Jimmy"

I totally agree with Earl and David's comments. Marking is of primary importance in all games. I have done it both ways with different dogs, but found that starting and sticking with white was more beneficial.
    Mike

Wall Street's Risky Derivative "Crash" QAA
    When the Blue of the Night "Blue"
    Danny's Little Bear "Bear" JH (deceased)
    Maximum Independence "Jet" QAA SH (deceased)