The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Can't Keep a solid stool for more than 3 weeks!

Default Can't Keep a solid stool for more than 3 weeks!

I have 6 1/2 month YLM that has been on medication over half his life and its really draining me down. Can a pups stomach/bowels be that sensitive!!?? This is starting to get really old! everytime he jumped in my pond in the back yard instant diarrhea that night and fought Giardia for a while mostlikel from that. Finally got ride of that bug and now something else has his stomach all messed up... what does a guy do? This is starting to affect my training when he isnt feeling that good.

The Vet is at a loss of words as I feel like a weekly customer to them and the nurses knows its me when I call... this has to end sometime right???
    HPK's A Warriors Call "Titan"
    HPK's Every Shot Counts (Ammo)

Talk to your vet about a 4-6 week program of Tylan. When I have a pup that has stools like that I use Tylan POWDER daily ( http://www.revivalanimal.com/Tylan.html) . And it goes away. Talk to your vet about dosage
    BB
    Sight To Sea Labradors
    Southern Cross at Sight to Sea SH "Crosby" (by NAFC FC AFC Cody Cut a Lean Grade)
    Tealwood's Willing at Sight to Sea JH ( by CH I am Able)
    Briarglen's Running on Faith JH (by FC Fish River's Out of the Park)
    Glendair's Come Home to the Sea ( By Ch Topform's Edward MH, QAA)
    Sight To Sea's Take Aim SH (by Sight to Sea's Southern Comfort SH )Aug 23 2003-Feb 2013 Go get em , Man!

Manager of www.DeCoverlykennels.com

Try an old dog or sensitive stomach food which I'm sure your vet has recommended. Maybe cut back on the food and make some homemade food? Brown rice, carrots, peas and boiled de-boned chicken? Add a scoop of pumpkin? Some also swear by the raw diet which can be purchased frozen. Lots of information on line.

Probably not good in your long term situation but, when my dogs get loose I withhold food and let them "dry up". Free to have water and I will give them a cookie or a very small handful of kibble 4 times a day until it stops. Not sure about this as being fact although, I had two bags of purines pp large breed puppy given to me. One dog was having soft stools and they stopped when I started mixing the pp puppy food. Other dogs firmness also improved on a 50-50 mix. That may have just been coincidence.

Battled a loose stool for a while and switched to PP sensitive skin and stomach and have had great luck with it
    Lone Oak's Marley Man.. (My first)

What medication has been prescribed for your dog and what was the duration of said medicine?
    canine n. Synonymous with courage, valor, trust, selflessness. If we learned to be half of what dogs are, the world would be a much better place

I talked to the Vet and he doesnt seem to like any Pro-Biotics but they do sell one Floritiflora, the breeder I got the pup from seems to swear by it so i will give it a try.

The medications I had him on was Metronidizole Albendizole and Panacure, these where at seperate times.

I will Look into the sensitive stomach food products but he seemed to be doing find with his food I just think he cant handle the elements in life... pond water, different food/treats ect.

Did you ask about TYlan? I am telling you it is my go to drug for diarrhea ....
    BB
    Sight To Sea Labradors
    Southern Cross at Sight to Sea SH "Crosby" (by NAFC FC AFC Cody Cut a Lean Grade)
    Tealwood's Willing at Sight to Sea JH ( by CH I am Able)
    Briarglen's Running on Faith JH (by FC Fish River's Out of the Park)
    Glendair's Come Home to the Sea ( By Ch Topform's Edward MH, QAA)
    Sight To Sea's Take Aim SH (by Sight to Sea's Southern Comfort SH )Aug 23 2003-Feb 2013 Go get em , Man!

Manager of www.DeCoverlykennels.com

You may want to try a droncet plus wormer even if his stool sample is clear. I have cleared up this issue using this method, along with the panacur you have already used. He has what I call an immature gut.... And yes, they can be that sensitive. I use a probiotic called proviable. I never had much luck with forti flora. And change his food as others have suggested. Tylan is also a great suggestion.
    Susan

FC Tribute to Justice, JH "Honor"
    FC AFC Contempt of Court "Ruckus"
    Medal Of Honor, QAA "Valor"
    HRCH Kirby's High Sierra, SH, QAA "Kirby"
    HRCH Niki Snowbird, SH, QAA "Niki"
    Southland Order In the Court, QAA "Gavel" July 17, 2002- March 24, 2013
    Southland Rusty Nail - derby points, qual placements "Rusty"
    www.justiceretrievers.com

Quote Originally Posted by Bridget Bodine View Post
    Did you ask about TYlan? I am telling you it is my go to drug for diarrhea ....
    I will ask the Vet about Tylan and see what he says

Welcome to working dog puppy hood, their system will eventually learn to fight all the junk off There is a poop-pill (probably Tylan) Pup goes on it for ~2wks, everything gets hard, then pup goes off. If it stays hard you're good, if it Goes back to Squish back to the vet. Plus-Side everyone I've done the 2wks, and they stay good, their system gets back to normal. Pro-biotic won't hurt could help get the gut back in balance. If you switch foods, figure 8wks until you'll know if it helps, that's the protocol they use for elimination food allergies studies, if they see some improvement with a new food @ 8wk, they'll take it out to 12wk. No improvement, they'll try a different food. The gut's been messed up for a long time, it takes awhile to get it in balance before you'll know if anything is working. If he's been fine on his food prior, you might be better to stay with it before you introduce something else, his gut is already messed up, a new food always has an adjustment period, even in a dog without squishy issues.
    Last edited by Hunt'EmUp; 09-09-2013 at 11:33 AM.
    "They's Just DAWGS"
    "Hunting is a skill to be learned whether you do it early or late it still needs to be learned"
    "I train dogs, Not papers"

GMRH HRCH Quick MH (most importantly Duck/Upland Enthusiast)
    MHR HRCH Lakota MH (most importantly Upland/Duck Enthusiast)
    SHR Storm.. the Pup (Beginning Upland & Waterfowl Enthusiast)