RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

Can't Keep a solid stool for more than 3 weeks!

7K views 29 replies 16 participants last post by  MikeB 
#1 ·
I have 6 1/2 month YLM that has been on medication over half his life and its really draining me down. Can a pups stomach/bowels be that sensitive!!?? This is starting to get really old! everytime he jumped in my pond in the back yard instant diarrhea that night and fought Giardia for a while mostlikel from that. Finally got ride of that bug and now something else has his stomach all messed up... what does a guy do? This is starting to affect my training when he isnt feeling that good.

The Vet is at a loss of words as I feel like a weekly customer to them and the nurses knows its me when I call... this has to end sometime right???

#2 ·
Talk to your vet about a 4-6 week program of Tylan. When I have a pup that has stools like that I use Tylan POWDER daily ( http://www.revivalanimal.com/Tylan.html) . And it goes away. Talk to your vet about dosage

#3 ·
Try an old dog or sensitive stomach food which I'm sure your vet has recommended. Maybe cut back on the food and make some homemade food? Brown rice, carrots, peas and boiled de-boned chicken? Add a scoop of pumpkin? Some also swear by the raw diet which can be purchased frozen. Lots of information on line.

Probably not good in your long term situation but, when my dogs get loose I withhold food and let them "dry up". Free to have water and I will give them a cookie or a very small handful of kibble 4 times a day until it stops. Not sure about this as being fact although, I had two bags of purines pp large breed puppy given to me. One dog was having soft stools and they stopped when I started mixing the pp puppy food. Other dogs firmness also improved on a 50-50 mix. That may have just been coincidence.

#6 ·
I talked to the Vet and he doesnt seem to like any Pro-Biotics but they do sell one Floritiflora, the breeder I got the pup from seems to swear by it so i will give it a try.

The medications I had him on was Metronidizole Albendizole and Panacure, these where at seperate times.

I will Look into the sensitive stomach food products but he seemed to be doing find with his food I just think he cant handle the elements in life... pond water, different food/treats ect.

#7 ·
Did you ask about TYlan? I am telling you it is my go to drug for diarrhea ....

#8 ·
You may want to try a droncet plus wormer even if his stool sample is clear. I have cleared up this issue using this method, along with the panacur you have already used. He has what I call an immature gut.... And yes, they can be that sensitive. I use a probiotic called proviable. I never had much luck with forti flora. And change his food as others have suggested. Tylan is also a great suggestion.

#10 · (Edited)
Welcome to working dog puppy hood, their system will eventually learn to fight all the junk off ;) There is a poop-pill (probably Tylan) Pup goes on it for ~2wks, everything gets hard, then pup goes off. If it stays hard you're good, if it Goes back to Squish back to the vet. Plus-Side everyone I've done the 2wks, and they stay good, their system gets back to normal. Pro-biotic won't hurt could help get the gut back in balance. If you switch foods, figure 8wks until you'll know if it helps, that's the protocol they use for elimination food allergies studies, if they see some improvement with a new food @ 8wk, they'll take it out to 12wk. No improvement, they'll try a different food. The gut's been messed up for a long time, it takes awhile to get it in balance before you'll know if anything is working. If he's been fine on his food prior, you might be better to stay with it before you introduce something else, his gut is already messed up, a new food always has an adjustment period, even in a dog without squishy issues.

#11 · (Edited)
After several vet visits, prescription medications, and different various other treatments including literally almost a case of canned pumpkin, I finally used this product on one of my dogs with a intermittent digestive issue, and it worked very well. First time to use it. Does not have the bitter taste of the tylan powder

http://www.lambertvetsupply.com/Endosorb-Tablets_p_2187.html

Along with split feedings and daily priobiotics.. you might discuss this one with your vet

#12 ·
FPA Ammo,
I am always curious in these cases what exactly are you feeding. Brand and formula? Have you changed food at all? I also think pro-biotics and or digestive enzymes are very important for a dog like yours.

#13 ·
FPA Ammo,
I am always curious in these cases what exactly are you feeding. Brand and formula? Have you changed food at all? I also think pro-biotics and or digestive enzymes are very important for a dog like yours.
I have been feeding Euk his whole life and haven't changed that, I know I will be changing to PP because my training feeds that so I want him switch over today by December but right now I havent changed a thing.

#15 ·
Thumbs up on the Tylan powder, it was the first thing that made a difference with my dog. Also, instead of or in addition to probiotics, consider a digestive enzyme and possibly a low-fat dog food. Recurring symptoms of giardia after swimming plagued Jake for 2 years. Turns out he had small intestine bacterial overgrowth (SIBO) and inflammatory bowel disease. He was unable to digest fat and not absorbing his food properly.

#16 ·
If it were mine, I would stop the meds and switch to ProPlan. Give it a couple of days, then re-evaluate. You can buy the Tylan powder at Revivalanimal.com if you find you need it. Like the others have said, I always have it on hand just in case.

To me, it sounds more like you're having a food issue than anything else. With the meds you have been giving, if the dog indeed had intestinal parasites, they'd be gone now. Whenever one of my puppy people tell me they're having issues, I find they have switched off ProPlan to something else. Once they go back to the ProPlan, the stools seem to firm up.

#20 ·
Had a puppy years ago with Giardia and it took over 3 mos. to get his stools normal. We cleared up the Giardia, but were feeding him hamburger and rice for a long time because everytime we would add kibble, it would upset him again. It will eventually be okay. The Tylan or Probiotics sound like good ideas.

G
#24 ·
Flagyl never worked for my dog it cleared up his stools but shortly after stopping it problem started all over again. I believe it took three treatments of panacur over a couple months to knock it out and each treatment was about 3-5 days. At the time he was on eukanuba I switched him to natural choice which seemed to help. Now in his old age he's back on euk.

#25 · (Edited)
Take the dog off all chicken products, including chicken fat. Try Farmina N&D Wild Cod, 30% protein / 18% fat. No chicken ingredients at all. Same principle as Pro Plan Sensitive Skin & Stomach but much better quality.

SportDogFood.com has it as does Chewy.com, Amazon Prime and DogFoodDirect.com, which I know is located in Minnesota. Ask the guy on Farmina's Facebookpage, Farmina USA, if any stores near you have it.

#30 ·
FPA,
IMO... YES I think 4 cups is to much food for this dog at this age and weight. Start the food change to your trainers food now if you like. Switch over slowly and cut back the food by 1 cup per day for now. Mix 80/20 old/new for 3 days then 70/30 for 3 days, 60/40 for 3 days etc. NO more than 3 cups a day 1.5AM/1.5PM. Should take about 30 days. You can build up to more food if needed as he gets older. A leaner dog is healthier until 2 yrs old. This should solve your stool issue.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.