The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Can't Keep a solid stool for more than 3 weeks!

After several vet visits, prescription medications, and different various other treatments including literally almost a case of canned pumpkin, I finally used this product on one of my dogs with a intermittent digestive issue, and it worked very well. First time to use it. Does not have the bitter taste of the tylan powder

http://www.lambertvetsupply.com/Endo...ts_p_2187.html

Along with split feedings and daily priobiotics.. you might discuss this one with your vet
    Last edited by frontier; 09-04-2013 at 02:15 PM.
    Terrie Tomlinson
    Frontier Retrievers
    HR Five Star Winning Sue SH
    Young Guns: Frontier's True Grit With a Cause "Rooster" and Frontier's Gossip Girl With A Cause "Gabby"
    Boykin Spaniels: Max, Scarlet, Rummy, Jewels, Bella, Molly, and Piper

In Memory:
    HRCH Frontier's Cherokee Rebel MH (5-9-2000 to 12-6-2011)
    Moonstone's Little Girl Found MH (3-20-1998 to 5-2-2008)
    Calebri's Take the Money and Run JH (3-3-2008 to 6-20-2012)

FPA Ammo,
    I am always curious in these cases what exactly are you feeding. Brand and formula? Have you changed food at all? I also think pro-biotics and or digestive enzymes are very important for a dog like yours.
    Training Isn't Expensive..... IT'S PRICELESS!

Quote Originally Posted by MikeB View Post
    FPA Ammo,
    I am always curious in these cases what exactly are you feeding. Brand and formula? Have you changed food at all? I also think pro-biotics and or digestive enzymes are very important for a dog like yours.
    I have been feeding Euk his whole life and haven't changed that, I know I will be changing to PP because my training feeds that so I want him switch over today by December but right now I havent changed a thing.
    HPK's A Warriors Call "Titan"
    HPK's Every Shot Counts (Ammo)

Quote Originally Posted by FPA Ammo View Post
    I have been feeding Euk his whole life and haven't changed that, I know I will be changing to PP because my training feeds that so I want him switch over today by December but right now I havent changed a thing.
    Food allergies - there is at least one famous bloodline that has them - Euk doesn't pass nor does PP - Costco has a food that works -

Marvin S

Everyone's friend is No One's friend

Someday your life will flash before your eyes. It's your responsibility to make sure it's worth watching!

Thumbs up on the Tylan powder, it was the first thing that made a difference with my dog. Also, instead of or in addition to probiotics, consider a digestive enzyme and possibly a low-fat dog food. Recurring symptoms of giardia after swimming plagued Jake for 2 years. Turns out he had small intestine bacterial overgrowth (SIBO) and inflammatory bowel disease. He was unable to digest fat and not absorbing his food properly.
    Pam
    HR Roughwater Stacked & Packed, "Babe," MH, CD, RN, CGC, WDQ

If it were mine, I would stop the meds and switch to ProPlan. Give it a couple of days, then re-evaluate. You can buy the Tylan powder at Revivalanimal.com if you find you need it. Like the others have said, I always have it on hand just in case.

To me, it sounds more like you're having a food issue than anything else. With the meds you have been giving, if the dog indeed had intestinal parasites, they'd be gone now. Whenever one of my puppy people tell me they're having issues, I find they have switched off ProPlan to something else. Once they go back to the ProPlan, the stools seem to firm up.

Quote Originally Posted by Marvin S View Post
    Food allergies - there is at least one famous bloodline that has them - Euk doesn't pass nor does PP - Costco has a food that works -
    Can you explain why food alergies are possible... The reason I ask is because everytime I have been fighting loose stools is because of the pup jumping into a stagnant pond/lake resulting into loose stools and Giardia. I dont know how food would prevent this...???

Quote Originally Posted by FPA Ammo View Post
    Can you explain why food alergies are possible... The reason I ask is because everytime I have been fighting loose stools is because of the pup jumping into a stagnant pond/lake resulting into loose stools and Giardia. I dont know how food would prevent this...???
    http://www.peteducation.com/article....2+2111&aid=143
    Terrie Tomlinson
    Frontier Retrievers
    HR Five Star Winning Sue SH
    Young Guns: Frontier's True Grit With a Cause "Rooster" and Frontier's Gossip Girl With A Cause "Gabby"
    Boykin Spaniels: Max, Scarlet, Rummy, Jewels, Bella, Molly, and Piper

In Memory:
    HRCH Frontier's Cherokee Rebel MH (5-9-2000 to 12-6-2011)
    Moonstone's Little Girl Found MH (3-20-1998 to 5-2-2008)
    Calebri's Take the Money and Run JH (3-3-2008 to 6-20-2012)

Thanks this is very good information

Had a puppy years ago with Giardia and it took over 3 mos. to get his stools normal. We cleared up the Giardia, but were feeding him hamburger and rice for a long time because everytime we would add kibble, it would upset him again. It will eventually be okay. The Tylan or Probiotics sound like good ideas.