The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media

Thread: Release

Default Release

When throwing marks from heel, my dog will go everytime shes released with her name. But throwing while shes in a remote i usually have to say her name twice. How can I fix this?

Without a whole lot of training history or info to go on, it sounds like perhaps your dog has seen more marks coming from your side at HEEL than from a remote. (Maybe you recently just started tossing marks with dog on a remote(?))

If so, I'd submit more REPS from a remote SIT.
    Dawgs are like Savings Accounts-
    You only get out of 'em what you put into 'em.

How long and often have you been working with her from a remote position? From the sounds of it she's not 100% sure you want her to go so she needs that extra confirmation. So if its that important for her to be sent from a remote position I would continue to throw birds for her while she's in a remote position so she knows what you want from her.
    OWNED BY:
    Longhorn Lacey's Boomerang "Boomer"
    Brio's Jollycurl to Bravo First Over Under SH WCQ "Parker"
    Brio's Bravo to the Lookout "Cora"

Kyle Crump

Quote Originally Posted by AriseKillEat View Post
    When throwing marks from heel, my dog will go everytime shes released with her name. But throwing while shes in a remote i usually have to say her name twice. How can I fix this?
    You can perhaps start taking a step and giving her a cast while saying her name. Help her learn what you want. She's trying (most likely) to do the right thing and from her perspective, you've changed the rules a bit. So she wants to be sure she does it right.

Be patient and show her what you want. She'll get there soon enough.

Chris
    "Determining and applying the criteria for when and when not to use correction is the essence of the art of dog training. I make a distinction between a mistake and a lack of effort." - Mike Lardy - Volume I "After Collar Conditioning"

In general, an often useful approach is to start from the specific point where the dogs exhibits an understanding of the command (or concept or behavior) and make very small, incremental advancements toward the objective of a generalized understanding.

So, in this case, start with a release from your side as rep #1. The next time, throw from your side, then move an inch (a foot, a yard, five steps ... whatever results in success) away before releasing. As long as you are successful, you can quickly increase the separation before the release. Also, modify this by starting at pup's side, command sit, then step an inch (foot, yard, etc.) away before throwing, and then release. Expand that with success. Lastly, start from side, move away, throw, move further away, then release.

Jim