The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Tritronics Influentials Club

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Farrar View Post
    That's cool. The county sheriff brings their Belgian Malanois to our school for a demo every spring. It's fun to watch any dog do what it is trained to do.
    I agree totally!

What's also fun, really fun, for me - is to talk about training methods to get the dog to do what he does.

Today, we had a City Police officer and a County Deputy Sherrif both. One handled the dog, the other spoke, and we had a couple assistants do their thing.

The speaker spent a good bit of time discussing HOW they train the dog to do what they do. What was so darn cool to me, was how they break it all down into such basic, simple elements that are so elementary they are brilliant! Then they take those elements and chain them together. It is just like the way we train a dog to handle or other things in our game!

It is really amazing.

The more I'm around this stuff, the more I realize that a good dog person is a good dog person.

I agree.

I remember a time when I was phase 2 when I did not respect things like agility. Now I am fascinated by how anyone trains a dog to do anything. For example: Weave pole. That zigzag pattern among a row of white PVC pipes.... It is amazing how they teach dogs to do that.

How to teach a dog to follow a scent trail to catch a bad guy. So elementary, it is brilliant!

Another cool thing. There is frequently method A, B, or C. One thing I'm learning is to not BASH B or C if you do A. Why? Because one day, you may have a dog who requires one of the other methods. Why else? Because usually, no matter how big, how bad, how awesome you are, there is someone else who is bigger and badder. And sometimes they got there using method B or C.

You really gotta be careful about how high a pedestal you put your method, your accomplishments, your dog on. There's usually someone who's done more, somewhere. And they may have used a different method than you did!

It's all good.

Chris
    "Determining and applying the criteria for when and when not to use correction is the essence of the art of dog training. I make a distinction between a mistake and a lack of effort." - Mike Lardy - Volume I "After Collar Conditioning"

i am pleased you had fun chris! very courageous even with a bite suit imho.......i woulda needed a couple of shots of the golden caddy!
    john mccallie

A kid I strung up on the chin up bar with the weight lifting belts In high school in my home town is a k-9 handler. Sort of sucks going back to Monroe with the kid on patrol. Growing up sucks when the kid has a dog that ranked in the top 5 in the world at the British Columbia World police dog meet.
    Last edited by Paul "Happy" Gilmore; 09-08-2013 at 02:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul "Happy" Gilmore View Post
    A kid I strung up on the chin up bar with the weight lifting belts In high school in my home town is a k-9 handler. Sort of sucks going back to Monroe with the kid on patrol. Growing up sucks when the kid has a dog that ranked in the top 5 in the world at the British Columbia World police dog meet.
    That might come back to "BITE YA".

We had to promise not to post video on social media or other public sites of the demo. All I can tell you is that I would NOT want to get bit by one of these dogs without the bite suit on.

I literally spun this dog in circles as he hung on to my arm. He was not letting go until he was told.
    "Determining and applying the criteria for when and when not to use correction is the essence of the art of dog training. I make a distinction between a mistake and a lack of effort." - Mike Lardy - Volume I "After Collar Conditioning"

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Atkinson View Post
    We had to promise not to post video on social media or other public sites of the demo. All I can tell you is that I would NOT want to get bit by one of these dogs without the bite suit on.

I literally spun this dog in circles as he hung on to my arm. He was not letting go until he was told.
    FF'ing pitbulls again??????????????????
    "Character is doing the right thing when nobody is watching"....J.C. Watts

Quote Originally Posted by Raymond Little View Post
    FF'ing pitbulls again??????????????????
    No...the pits did the demo before as retrievers. (we ran a lab, a chessie and a pit in the retriever demo)

The K9 demo was a Belgian Malanois. I've really become a fan of these dogs.

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Atkinson View Post
    No...the pits did the demo before as retrievers. (we ran a lab, a chessie and a pit in the retriever demo)

The K9 demo was a Belgian Malanois. I've really become a fan of these dogs.

Chris
    you have totally gdg'd up the tritronics influentials club thread!!!!
    Susan

FC Tribute to Justice, JH "Honor"
    FC AFC Contempt of Court "Ruckus"
    Medal Of Honor, QAA "Valor"
    HRCH Kirby's High Sierra, SH, QAA "Kirby"
    HRCH Niki Snowbird, SH, QAA "Niki"
    Southland Order In the Court, QAA "Gavel" July 17, 2002- March 24, 2013
    Southland Rusty Nail - derby points, qual placements "Rusty"
    www.justiceretrievers.com

I've worn the bite suit a couple times, once for the belgians. Pretty neat stuff.
    NAFTCH FTCH AFTCH Mjolnir Bluebill Of Allanport
    Flatlands Bayduck of Allanport
    Dakota Creek Teal of Allanport

Quote Originally Posted by JusticeDog View Post
    you have totally gdg'd up the tritronics influentials club thread!!!!
    Would that be aversive?
    I have learned I need these dogs much more than they need me. Tim Bockmon