The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Gun Dog Broker

Thread: Feeding working dogs

Default Feeding working dogs

An interesting discussion was started on the Canadian Hunting Dog Forum about how to feed working dogs. Dennis Voigt supplied this link to a Mike Lardy article and I thought some here might be interested in it.
    http://www.woodhavenlabs.com/documen...erformance.pdf
    Liz Macpherson
    Rowantide Tollers
    www.rowantide.com

CH Kare's Ocean Tide CDX WC JH (1999-2009-RIP)
    HRCH UH CH Rowantide's Taylor Maid CDX SH, CDN/US WCX (2 MH passes!)
    HR CH Rowantide's Quikkr Pikkr Uppr CD JH, CDN/US WCX
    HR CH Rowantide's Remember Me CD WCX
    UH HRCH CH Rowantide's Celtic Cap WCX
    CH Rowantide's Quack Addict WC
    Rowantide's 1 More 4 the Road
    UH Trinity Just'Nuther Redhead

Anyone can train a Lab......
    maybe even a Toller person....

That is interesting. more of a science than most would think.

Banned

This type of research in strength and stamina goes back a while. Reynolds certainly benefited from the work done at U Penn by Kronfeld and Downey. Downey by the way owns Annamaet.

Works by Robert Downey

• Downey, R. L., Kronfeld, D.S., and Banta, C.A. "Diet of Beagles Affects Stamina." Journal American Animal Hospital Association, Vol.16 (1980), pp. 273-7.
    • NRC, "Physical Activity and Environment." Nutrient Requirements ofDogs and Cats, National Academies Press (2006), Editor Bietz D.C.,pp 258-312, Chapter 11.
    • Wakshlag, J.J., Kraus M., Downey R.L., Vachhani P., "The influence of high-intensity-moderate duration exercise on cardiac troponin I and c-reactive protein in sled dogs." Journal of Veterinary Internal Medicine,Vol. 24 (2010), pp.1-5.
    • Kronfeld, D.S., Downey, R. L., "Nutritional Strategies for Stamina in Dogs and Horses." Proceedings, Nutritional Society Australia, Vol. 6(1981), pp. 21-9.
    • Kronfeld, D.S., Atkins, T. O., Downey, R. L., "Nutrition, Anaerobic and Aerobic Exercise, and Stress." Nutrition of the Dog and Cat, Ed.Burger, I.H., Rivers, J.P.W., Cambridge University Press, 1989, pp.133-45.
    • Kronfeld, D.S., Downey, R. L., and Banta, C.A., "Stamina of Beagle is Influenced by Diet." Proceedings, American College VeterinaryInternal Medicine, Seattle (1979), P. 105.
    • Downey, R.L., "Heat Stress in Dogs." Howl, Vol. 5 (1989), pp. 6-13.
    • Downey, R.L., "Feeding for Winning." Hounds and Hunting, Vol. 76(1979), pp. 32-36.
    • Downey, R.L., "Musher (With a Difference!) With Leatha Braden." Siberian World, Vol. 3 (1979), pp. 3-8.

Does anyone else have any links to more articles? I am interested but the only things I have been able to find are all saying the same things and I would like to read further.
    deb