The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 28

Thread: If you have a noisy young hunting dog

  1. #1
    Senior Member Randy Bohn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Pa.
    Posts
    356

    Default If you have a noisy young hunting dog

    If your dealing with noise issues with a dog under 2 years of age and you want to take that dog hunting this year DO YOURSELF A FAVOR....leave your dog at home....UNTIL YOU FIX THE NOISE, YOU'LL BE HAPPIER DOWN THE ROAD THE NEXT FEW YEARS....if they're older,never to late to fix it just harder...Randy
    CHRIS ATKINSON...PLEASE don't QUIT CHANGING MY PROFILE PAGE!!

    "And if you have a golden, bring TWO towels!"

  2. #2
    Senior Member Erik Nilsson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Butler, Pa
    Posts
    806

    Default

    I have seen it before, a dog that gets way too amped up in the field, the drive or desire seems to get to them to the point they cry out in excitement. Are these dogs not wired right?
    HRC- Our season never ends

    "Shoot fast or shoot last"

    HR UH Nilsson's on a wing n a prayer SH WCX

  3. #3
    Junior Member Brooke11's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Central Michigan
    Posts
    29

    Default

    My old lab would just lay there and wine... she got so excited... my younger pup is content just chewing down the brush which is quieter than the wineing.

  4. #4
    Senior Member jd6400's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    NE OHio
    Posts
    911

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Erik Nilsson View Post
    I have seen it before, a dog that gets way too amped up in the field, the drive or desire seems to get to them to the point they cry out in excitement. Are these dogs not wired right?
    I can tell you this much,we are seeing more and more of it nowadays............Jim
    Jim Weitzel
    Proud member of Ole Roy prostaff

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Gloucester,Va
    Posts
    1,295

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jd6400 View Post
    I can tell you this much,we are seeing more and more of it nowadays............Jim
    Do you mean at HT's& FT's ?
    Dawgs are like Savings Accounts-
    You only get out of 'em what you put into 'em.

  6. #6
    Senior Member jd6400's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    NE OHio
    Posts
    911

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Swampbilly View Post
    Do you mean at HT's& FT's ?
    GUNDOGS .From some very good breedings.
    I have some theories but just a soon not get into it.
    Jim Weitzel
    Proud member of Ole Roy prostaff

  7. #7
    Senior Member Raymond Little's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Lake Charles/Grand Chenier La
    Posts
    1,961

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jd6400 View Post
    GUNDOGS .From some very good breedings.
    I have some theories but just a soon not get into it.
    Why not?? I have also seen this and my theory is the dogs are getting better, expectation are higher, technology allows us to train in more detail, and many over look small problems that snowball into major problems each month. The quest for ribbons has ruined many and will continue to do so, call it human nature.
    "Character is doing the right thing when nobody is watching"....J.C. Watts

  8. #8
    Senior Member jd6400's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    NE OHio
    Posts
    911

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Raymond Little View Post
    Why not?? I have also seen this and my theory is the dogs are getting better, expectation are higher, technology allows us to train in more detail, and many over look small problems that snowball into major problems each month. The quest for ribbons has ruined many and will continue to do so, call it human nature.
    Pretty much nailed it right there,except one.Are dogs really getting better? Or has training methods? Jim
    Jim Weitzel
    Proud member of Ole Roy prostaff

  9. #9
    Senior Member RookieTrainer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    West Central AL
    Posts
    1,306

    Default

    I don't have whining, but I do get an interesting case of the shakes and a little of what I call the "retriever hum" in the blind. Anybody have a solution for pure adrenaline? He has learned to be still, except for the trembling, and look up.
    Steve Wyatt

    HR Belle's Rolling Big Rig "Jimmy"

  10. #10
    Senior Member Evan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Kansas City, MO
    Posts
    5,211

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jd6400 View Post
    Pretty much nailed it right there,except one.Are dogs really getting better? Or has training methods? Jim
    Yes.

    Evan
    "Prepare your dog in such a manner that the work he is normally called upon to do under-whelms him, not overwhelms him." ~ Evan Graham

    “People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.”

    ― George Bernard Shaw


    The Smartwork System for Retriever Training (link)
    http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?...59&ref=profile

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •