The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: If you have a noisy young hunting dog

Quote Originally Posted by jd6400 View Post
    GUNDOGS
    I have some theories but just a soon not get into it.
    Gotcha'-
    Can appreciate your dimplomacy

Think that a lot of new, (younger). folk who run into vocalization early, have a pre-concieved notion that it's ok to let it go because it's a display of eagerness to retrieve..the pup has some drive!
    Problem I've learned is- some dogs don't "know" they're doing it, particularly those dogs that have been allowed to be vocal for a long, long, time.
    The "novelty" of the dogs' eagerness, by the display of vocalization finally wears off, and it's only THEN does it become a "problem" for the owner- like- the first time a flock of wary Blackducks begin circling and get 50yds. away with their wings set, and the dog gets vocal
    Dawgs are like Savings Accounts-
    You only get out of 'em what you put into 'em.

Quote Originally Posted by Raymond Little View Post
    The quest for ribbons has ruined many and will continue to do so, call it human nature.
    Curious Raymond-
    The quest for ribbons has ruined many-(?) Dogs? Or in the midst of that quest dogs can become vocal(?)
    I'm asking because I do believe that there's been lots of dogs who'd have otherwise "been ruined" if not trained to a higher level that did include ribbons.

Just trying to better understand
    Last edited by Swampbilly; 09-05-2013 at 08:21 AM.

Randy,
    Just wanted to thank you for your advice on controlling noise, followed it to the best of my ability and it has made a world of difference.

EDIT - just noticed you are running some dogs at South Jersey RC this weekend. My guy will be there running his first Q, Dog No. 11 in the running order - "Copper".
    Last edited by Meleagris1; 09-05-2013 at 08:34 AM.

I have been working with my female boykin for about 5 months now on this and I can see a big difference in her. The way I would do it is i would throw a bumper and automatically she would go to whinning and I would let her whine but the whole time I am telling her to be quiet and when she finally gets quiet i would send her on the retrieve

I was in the goose blind with a friends master hunter dog last night.
    I was so on edge from the high pitched whining from her dog all night I had a headache. I've asked her about over the years why all her dogs do this and she said if you have a vocal dog there is nothing you can do about it.
    I call BS on that one.

Sent from my iPad using Forum Runner

Quote Originally Posted by uplandbird View Post
    I was in the goose blind with a friends master hunter dog last night.
    I was so on edge from the high pitched whining from her dog all night I had a headache. I've asked her about over the years why all her dogs do this and she said if you have a vocal dog there is nothing you can do about it.
    I call BS on that one.

Sent from my iPad using Forum Runner
    And said dog will have puppy`s and more puppys and more.......
    Jim Weitzel
    Proud member of Ole Roy prostaff

Quote Originally Posted by Swampbilly View Post
    Curious Raymond-
    The quest for ribbons has ruined many-(?) Dogs? Or in the midst of that quest dogs can become vocal(?)
    I'm asking because I do believe that there's been lots of dogs who'd have otherwise "been ruined" if not trained to a higher level that did include ribbons.

Just trying to better understand
    Many times in training group standards ebb and flow depending on who is watching. There probably isn't anyone who trains dogs that isn't competitive and sometimes this competitveness gets the best of us. Continually relaxing standards while training will enevitably lead to the problems Randy addressed in his post. I see trying to steady a puppy too early as prime contributor to vocalization on the line and in route to marks but it's exacerbated on water marks. Novice trainers quite often request help on RTF for vocalization, running at the gun, ect., the group helps but we never know if that help is implemented correctly in most cases. The young guys in my group always want the answer but i tend to question them until they find what they were looking for originally. It's similar to showing your work on a math problem but I really was never great at math.
    "Character is doing the right thing when nobody is watching"....J.C. Watts

Quote Originally Posted by Raymond Little View Post
    Many times in training group standards ebb and flow depending on who is watching. There probably isn't anyone who trains dogs that isn't competitive and sometimes this competitveness gets the best of us. Continually relaxing standards while training will enevitably lead to the problems Randy addressed in his post. I see trying to steady a puppy too early as prime contributor to vocalization on the line and in route to marks but it's exacerbated on water marks. Novice trainers quite often request help on RTF for vocalization, running at the gun, ect., the group helps but we never know if that help is implemented correctly in most cases. The young guys in my group always want the answer but i tend to question them until they find what they were looking for originally. It's similar to showing your work on a math problem but I really was never great at math.
    Thanks for your post, gotcha'.
    (Pound on wood)- Have been lucky enough thus far to not find myself sucking the eagerness/drive out of any of my pups by getting way too much structure in place early on, with a ton of corrections on the line. Think this happens a lot. Good to try to strike a good balance.

Like to instill one concept early on- you just don't get a thing untill you're steady and quiet. That's not just limited to retrieving,.. could be a bowl of Kibble too
    Last edited by Swampbilly; 09-05-2013 at 10:52 AM.

There are some dogs from some places who don't get ribbons and trophies if they are vocal...
    -Barton Ramsey

so what if you have a dog that isn't vocal till you are in the blind. You can't recreate the blind at home and they don't make noise at home, only in the blind. If you leave them at home they aren't learning to be quiet in the blind but if you bring them with you are driving your hunting buddies crazy.
    It's a Journey, NOT a Race