The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: If you have a noisy young hunting dog

If you have a noisy dog, don't take him unless you know what to do to correct. Best to leave him home!!JMO
    HRCH Scaupgetters Tarnation QAA
    http://www.huntinglabpedigree.com/pedigree.asp?id=83047
    HR Blackie 2 CGN, WCI
    Metras's Hashtag Mickey
    http://www.huntinglabpedigree.com/pedigree.asp?id=83051

"Knowing how important right timing is in accomplishing right actions"
    Uncle Ray

I get the first part of your statement. The 2nd however, please let us all know when you figure out nature so that you can miraculously have a group of ducks show up in front of you to impose the 2nd half of your statement. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by FinnLandR View Post
    Properly timed corrections for the unwanted behavior (noise), and properly timed rewards for the desired behavior (silence).
    I hate rude behavior in a man, won't tolerate it. Captain Woodrow Call

Why would I do that Cory? I was not being rude just making an observation based on what was written and my interpretation of what I read. Dial it back there a bit. You'll shoot your ducks I'm sure of that. People from Michigan always get their birds!!!

Quote Originally Posted by FinnLandR View Post
    Wade, I was referring to those long periods where the dog is bored because there are no ducks, but is maintaining the sit standard, quietly.

Perhaps you need to re-evaluate your signature....
    I hate rude behavior in a man, won't tolerate it. Captain Woodrow Call

My girl whines when I miss and she watches the birds fly off. Sometimes whine when the hunting gets real slow and haven't seen birds in a while. This what you're talking about? How do I prevent it?

What do you do if the dog yips all the way across the water to the bird?
    BB
    Sight To Sea Labradors
    Southern Cross at Sight to Sea SH "Crosby" (by NAFC FC AFC Cody Cut a Lean Grade)
    Tealwood's Willing at Sight to Sea JH ( by CH I am Able)
    Briarglen's Running on Faith JH (by FC Fish River's Out of the Park)
    Glendair's Come Home to the Sea ( By Ch Topform's Edward MH, QAA)
    Sight To Sea's Take Aim SH (by Sight to Sea's Southern Comfort SH )Aug 23 2003-Feb 2013 Go get em , Man!

Manager of www.DeCoverlykennels.com

I got a friend has a dog, whines in the duck blind, shuts-up when he puts a bark-collar on him. Is this training? Probably not, but at least he's doing something to keep him quite, so we can enjoy our hunting trip .
    "They's Just DAWGS"
    "Hunting is a skill to be learned whether you do it early or late it still needs to be learned"
    "I train dogs, Not papers"

GMRH HRCH Quick MH (most importantly Duck/Upland Enthusiast) Rip. July-2014
    MHR HRCH Lakota MH (most importantly Upland/Duck Enthusiast)
    HR Storm.. the Pup (Beginning Upland & Waterfowl Enthusiast)

Quote Originally Posted by Hunt'EmUp View Post
    I got a friend has a dog, whines in the duck blind, shuts-up when he puts a bark-collar on him. Is this training? Probably not, but at least he's doing something to keep him quite, so we can enjoy our hunting trip .
    And it could very well be that if he uses it consistently for long enough, the dog will get in tihe habit of staying quiet and he'll be able to go without it in coming years.
    Howard Niemi

You really gotta be careful about how high a pedestal you put your method, your accomplishments, your dog on. There's usually someone who's done more, somewhere. And they may have used a different method than you did! Chris Atkinson 2013

get your dog out and TRAIN! caryalsobrook 2013

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Cmelik View Post
    so what if you have a dog that isn't vocal till you are in the blind. You can't recreate the blind at home and they don't make noise at home, only in the blind. If you leave them at home they aren't learning to be quiet in the blind but if you bring them with you are driving your hunting buddies crazy.
    You may have to go to the blind before the season, if you really can't get the noise to happen at home.

I recently had a handler tell me her dog, who was really noisy in the water, wouldn't make noise on land. Took me about 2 minutes to get her to bark in a land drill (the dog, not the handler). Handler dealt with the issue on land and was supposed to transition that to water. I'm not sure she ever really did though, because I'm not sure the handler really understood the cause and solution beyond doing what she was instructed.

If you can figure out the cause, you can trigger the behavior in other environments and deal with it by correcting/not rewarding it, and then rewarding quiet.
    Darrin Greene