The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Gun Dog Broker
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HRC Sponsor

Default HRC Sponsor

Hey Guys,

I just noticed that the HRC has a new sponsor Carlson Calls. Has anyone ever used one? Or does anyone have any knowledge of them? I have done some research on them online, but I know there are some old dogs online that still use their calls.

Pretty darn cool history from what I have read

Wm. Mark Edwards
    Pascagoula, MS

HRCH (500) UH Ellie Mae MH
    SHR Tipsy

Chris (the Janitor) used Carlson calls to win more than a few calling competitions. Maybe he'll chime in on this thread.-Paul
    there's no good reason to fatten up a retriever.

Great Info

Thank you

wow...I had to poke around the blog links posted by Mark a bit. I've listened to Wendell Carlson in the Wendell part 1. It is the same old Wendell Carlson that got my attention and got me started years ago. I have never met the new young guy who now owns Carlson. I did try calling him several times a few months ago when someone was "getting into it", but I had no luck reaching him then.

After Wendell retired, Jim James ran the company for several years. I think it's great that the new owner is getting into apparent sponsorship of HRC.

Wendell Carlson - and his style ... I first got hooked on Wendell's stuff when he used to write articles in the magazine put out by Waterfowl USA. Wendell's instructional style talks about World Sanctioned Competition as THE benchmark of functional calling and true call operation. He compares that to the "barstool duck blow".

It's really funny because there are parallels between what Wendell says about calling competitions and the various retriever games that exist.

Anyhow, Wendell's calling system on an audiotape (early 1990s) is what took me to a new level of calling. I did run around and compete on the calling circuit for several years. I wound up blowing in Stuttgart a few times and it was fun. I never did win a sanctioned contest with a CArlson, but I got some placements.

Each of my tickets to the Bus (the derivation of my current FT dog's registered name, by the way) were blowing other acrylic competition calls. Sean Mann Acrylic hybrid, Allan Stanley Deceiver and Steve Elmore's Fowl Language were the calls I used when the judges nodded their scores my way.

I read all sorts of stuff about how videos and DVD's "can't" do this..."won't" do that....etc. Probably some truth. But you know what? For those of us born pre 1970's that bit of information can be enough to put you onto something that takes you to the next level. WEndell Carlson's calling system is what got me motivated and informed enough to have a fun bit of my life where I blew competitively in duck calling contests...it was great stuff.

I disagree with folks who say you "can't" do XYZ using a video or a DVD. Good information is good information, whether it's in print, in video, in audio or in person.

Wendelisms:

"Go about it like a job"

"Functional call"

I actually have a hand crafted Carlson call on my desk at the office!

Chris
    "Determining and applying the criteria for when and when not to use correction is the essence of the art of dog training. I make a distinction between a mistake and a lack of effort." - Mike Lardy - Volume I "After Collar Conditioning"

All around awesome information! Thank you all

I had one that I liked. A puppy really liked it. I don't have one anymore

/Paul
    Paul Cantrell
    Black Ice Retrievers
    Marcola OR

Too many dogs to list (By some Bitch)

https://www.facebook.com/BlackIceRetrievers
    http://gundog2002.blogspot.com/
    "Helping Hunters Train Their Dogs"

I just talked to the owner today. Seemed like a great guy. My new call is in route

Quote Originally Posted by muddytwelvegauge View Post
    I just talked to the owner today. Seemed like a great guy. My new call is in route
    I remember from the last time I checked the product line, they had:

Volochoke
    Equalizer
    Custom Handcrafted
    Acrylic Competition
    Competition Equalizer

What did you get?
    "Determining and applying the criteria for when and when not to use correction is the essence of the art of dog training. I make a distinction between a mistake and a lack of effort." - Mike Lardy - Volume I "After Collar Conditioning"

One of my friends from Iowa (an longtime retriever guy whom I won't call out) said he and his buddies used to go into the sporting goods store, buy the Carlson call, cut the cassette tape out of the packaging so they didn't have to listen to Wendell drone on and preach, and then pitch the cassette with the packaging - keeping the call.

I always got a kick out of Wendell. Not everybody did. Particularly those who made other brands of calls. Something about the idea that Wendell may have been calling THEIR call non-functional tended to put them off.

Have fun. Nice calls. (although we do have a rotating RNT banner down below)