The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media

Thread: The Spotted Owl

Default The Spotted Owl

Years ago Spotted Owl habitat was a big issue. In order to cure the so-called loss of prime habitat for this owl large areas of old growth timber were declared off limits to logging as it is with all protected species. The enviro's declaring that was what was needed to protect the owl, more recently it's shoot the Barred Owl as the Spotted Owl can't compete.

This resulted in tens of thousands lost jobs in the forest products industry, towns going from thriving to being on life support & prices driven higher all the way through the chain causing money to be spent for a more precious product. So now there is just more fuel for the forest fires.

The other night the boss calls to me to come & look at this - turns out to be a Spotted Owl sitting on a snag on our wood pile less than 50' from our house. We live in an open field woodsy area that has been logged at least 3 times in the last 150 years, there is no old growth around.

So if the experts are right, why are there any Spotted Owls in our neighborhood? & if the experts are not right, who suffered because of that, certainly not the experts?

Just to be sure I cut off the end of the snag that the Owl roosted on for storage & potential positive DNA verification. Everyone knows only the experts are right .

Marvin S

Everyone's friend is No One's friend

Someday your life will flash before your eyes. It's your responsibility to make sure it's worth watching!

I think I read someplace that the spotted and the barred are just about the same bird. Is that true Marv? The barred will sometimes take over a spotted nest. And like a black duck and mallard they sometimes breed? Seems to me nature is replacing the spotted with the barred. Evolution??
    "So what is big is not always the Trout nor the Deer but the chance, the being there. And what is full is not necessarily the creel nor the freezer, but the memory." ~ Aldo Leopold

"The Greatest Obstacle to Discovery is not Ignorance -- It is the Illusion of Knowledge" ~ Daniel Boorstin

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Bora View Post
    I think I read someplace that the spotted and the barred are just about the same bird. Is that true Marv? The barred will sometimes take over a spotted nest. And like a black duck and mallard they sometimes breed? Seems to me nature is replacing the spotted with the barred. Evolution??
    You are asking the wrong person - but what I read in the bird books shows the Barred as slightly bigger than the largest of the Spotted. As for their nesting practices ????? meaning I don't know. The bird book also shows the Barred as an Eastern bird. I do know what we saw was a Spotted as their breast feather pattern is significantly different.

Marvin S

Someday your life will flash before your eyes. It's your responsibility to make sure it's worth watching!

Wikipedia has a pretty thorough article on the spotted owl. When one sees a bird in what doesn't seem to be its preferred habitat one should always remember that most birds can fly and so most are pretty mobile and if they exist in the general area (within a few hundred miles even) they may show up just because they are wandering a bit. Generally these birds seen outside of their normal range are scientifically insignificant, by which I mean that their presence is an oddity and really means nothing other than the bird got lost.
    Any doctrine that weakens personal responsibility for judgment and for action helps create the attitudes that welcome and support the totalitarian state.
    (John Dewey)

Associate yourself with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for 'tis better to be alone than in bad company.
    (George Washington)

Gig'em Aggies!! BTCO'77HOO t.u.!!

www.HughLieck.photoshelter.com

Quote Originally Posted by Marvin S View Post
    So if the experts are right .
    & today in the Seattle Times, "Record Number of Fall Chinook Swimming Up Columbia River", "More than a Million", along with "Surpasses any year since Bonneville Lock & Dam built in 1938".

So along with Global Warming (had to cook the books on that one), the Spotted Owl fiasco, we now have record numbers of fish.

Does any lefty on this forum believe we who have learned through experience to practice skepticism think any one should believe the "Sky is Falling" BS that eminates from their camp ?

Marvin S