The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Field Trial Dog Life

two ways to look at the situation

from the breeders standpoint:

1. They reserve the right to sell to anyone of their choice

2. They are protecting the reputation of their kennel as well as the reputation of the stud dog since there are only so few chances to breed a female in their lifetime and the costs involved are higher than most anticipate

3. They are guarding against real possibility that "things" dont work out and you end up selling the dog to just anyone, or the dog gets returned to them but unsellable or unable to rehome

4. They are being responsible breeders and have their best intentions for "their puppies", its hard enough as it is to let them go

from a buyer standpoint

1. prove to the breeder you are worthy of having one of their puppies by having a known FT/HT person vouch for you

2. its no different than trying to join an exclusive country club, if you are a member, you dont want just anyone buying their way into a membership

3. try and establish a personal relationship with the breeder so they become familiar with you,like interviewing for a new job, prove to them by your attitude and actions that you are worthy of their little ones

4. show them stability in your life, that you own a home with a fenced in yard and maybe a kennel run in place,and that you dont work 16 hours a day six days a week

Dog games are not for everyone,doesnt mean you dont "deserve" to have one of their pups, dont take it personal, if they dont want to sell to you ,walk away and go after another quality litter...

I have told this story before but its kind of funny: years ago after a long absence from the circuit my brother was looking to get back into the FT game so he visited a trial held near his home along with his wife. A well known owner of a National winner was showing off pups sired by his dog out of the back of his vehicle, so my brother walks up and ask "how much are you asking for the pups"...the man replied "they are expensive and you probably cant afford one", my brother was shocked and somewhat offended until his wife reminded him that the man or very few knew who he was or what he does for a living..When that man later found out who he was, he apologized for pre judging him and assuming he was neither qualified to afford or own one of his pups...my brother's response was "I probably cant afford one of your pups" and walked away
    All my Exes live in Texas

Quote Originally Posted by lanse brown View Post
    A few things that I learned still ring true. "Lanse when you get a gift, say thank you and walk away. When you get a screwing walk away. You are going to get a lot more screwings than gifts"

Too many variables to say whether a "field trial" dog or a "family dog" raised in the circumstances you describe has a better life. My opinion, however, is that it is perfectly within the breeder's rights to inquire into the buyer's intention to run the dog in field trials or other competitions and to place the dogs in those homes where the dog will most likely be backed by the resources and training to be campaigned. Others may not share this opinion but, frankly, it is the opinion of the breeder not the buyer that matters as the breeder owns the pups and has the right to sell to the person of his or her choosing and for the reasons he or she chooses.

pcarpenter, look at it this way. Scroll ahead 4 years. You get your pup, you send it off to a pro, he says this is one of the best dogs I've ever seen.

You get it trained and decide to "dabble" in Field trials. You win the first one you enter. You really get hooked and keep going. You make the derby list, win a Qual and move on to the AA stakes. You get a couple places then a win.

People notice you and "wonderdog." People approach you about getting a pup if you ever breed her. You get enough interest and decide to breed her. It'll probably be a one time thing, 1 litter. You've spent a lot of money and 100% of your free time to date.

Someone from the next town over hears about your pups and wants one "just for a pet."

Who do you want the pups to go to???
    John Lash

"If you run Field Trials, you learn to swallow your disappointment quickly."

"Field trials are not a game for good dogs. They're for great dogs with great training." E. Graham

If you want a good pup, look down the list a little and get a Hunt Test pup instead of a field trial pup. Not a lot difference, but pup will cost a few hundred less. Never doubt a hunt test pup can do any job you want it to and also be a great house dog.

Quote Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
    Or you could end up like me. That dog Peerless in my signature line was a singleton, the other two pups died before the c-section was performed. I started adding up how much she cost me and I quit adding after I got over $3000. I decided I didn't want to know. Thank God at about 21 months she looks like she'll be a very good field trial dog. She is good enough that I'm thinking about breeding her if she passes all her clearances. I would like to keep a puppy and see if any field trailers would have some. Who knows, there are a lot of well bred puppies to choose from... Unless some go to competition I'd have no idea what she produces... That being said, when I bred Raven I took a couple deposits from a couple of hard core hunters here in South Dakota. I wouldn't have any problem selling a high powered dog to someone like that.

I won't deny that what you say there is a possibility. But I have Mick in my office with me right now. He's just laying on the floor relaxing since noon today. Peerless is the highest powered dog in the field that I've ever seen. Bring her in the house and you won't hear a peep from her. She'll just curl up next to or behind my recliner and go to sleep. VERY nice around the house.
    Totally agree it depends on the dog. But I was just advising him it could be a possibility. Most my other dogs have been well behaved in the house and it always gets better with age.

Quote Originally Posted by blake_mhoona View Post
    to take such a dog and just make it a hunting dog is like saying nick saban should of been a pee-wee coach, or tiger woods a local country club pro. they have so much potential they owe it to themselves to be the best. to have it be a house dog would be like saying nick saban should of been a psychologist or tiger a (muscle) rehab therapist
    If you were to look to acquire "just a hunting dog" - where would you want it to come from? What you you want in a pedigree?
    I would bet that 90% of the pups from FT litters become "just a hunting dog" and I bet most are or can be pretty good dogs.

Or you could end up like me. That dog Peerless in my signature line was a singleton, the other two pups died before the c-section was performed. I started adding up how much she cost me and I quit adding after I got over $3000. I decided I didn't want to know. Thank God at about 21 months she looks like she'll be a very good field trial dog. She is good enough that I'm thinking about breeding her if she passes all her clearances. I would like to keep a puppy and see if any field trailers would have some. Who knows, there are a lot of well bred puppies to choose from... Unless some go to competition I'd have no idea what she produces... That being said, when I bred Raven I took a couple deposits from a couple of hard core hunters here in South Dakota. I wouldn't have any problem selling a high powered dog to someone like that.

I won't deny that what you say there is a possibility. But I have Mick in my office with me right now. He's just laying on the floor relaxing since noon today. Peerless is the highest powered dog in the field that I've ever seen. Bring her in the house and you won't hear a peep from her. She'll just curl up next to or behind my recliner and go to sleep. VERY nice around the house.

Dang Dave I should have had you take Mia while I have been gone. Maybe you could have gotten her to lay down and go to sleep in the house. HAHA.

Sorry back to your regularly scheduled programming
    It's a Journey, NOT a Race

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Cmelik View Post

Dang Dave I should have had you take Mia while I have been gone. Maybe you could have gotten her to lay down and go to sleep in the house. HAHA.

Sorry back to your regularly scheduled programming
    That would likely require medication!
    "For everyone to whom much is given, of him shall much be required." -- Luke 12:48

Raven - Moneybird's Black Magic Marker***
    (Esprit's Power Play x Trumarc's Lean Cuisine)
    Mick - Moneybird's Jumpin' Jack Flash***
    (Clubmead's Road Warrior x Oakdale Whitewater Devil Dog)
    Peerless - Moneybird's Sole Survivor
    (Two River's Lucky Willie x Moneybird's Black Magic Marker)

That would likely require medication!
    Nah just a baseball bat to the head.
    It's a Journey, NOT a Race

Life "on the truck" is a hard life for dogs.
    To arrive at this, I wouldn't compare it to the life of a common house pet, I'd compare it to life with the accompanying 24/7 interaction of the dogs of a retired two or three dog A list amature who trains and campaigns their own uncommon house pets all year............

Were I selling a litter, I would factor this into my decisions about placement

john
    Last edited by john fallon; 09-07-2013 at 08:11 AM.
    "i guess the old saying 'those of us that think we know everything annoy those of you that does' " --bobbyb 9/13/06

"A Good Dog is a Good Dog"