The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Field Trial Dog Life

I say buy the pup you want (if the breeder will sell it to you).

We've got a FT bred dog who is all go. Although he's injured at the moment he's done a good job at HTs, is one hell of a hunting dog, calmly attends lots of motorcycle races and has great hotel/house manners (out of the crate). He's the only one out of his litter living that kind of life and has adapted very well.

Pretty sure he would've done well on a Pro's truck but we're happy he lives with us and he just has to settle for HTs over FTs. He doesn't care - a duck is a duck is a duck and he gets as excited for the first one of the day as he does for the last one of the day! I think dogs who get exercise and attention adapt to the situation they're in to a certain extent.

BTW - we've trained this dog ourselves with help from /Paul who helped us understand and deal with all the issues that come with a high powered FT breeding. Wouldn't change a thing
    Behind every success is effort. Behind every effort is passion. Behind every passion is someone with the courage to try!

As has been previously stated; unless you have succeeded in taking a pole from a good size sampling of dogs living in a variety of circumstances, you, me and everyone else is just expressing their own opinion not those of the dogs.

You and John and even myself hold an opinion something like this from post 43:

"BTW, as I indicated in my last post on this thread....."Six days in the field "... 12 sets of marks and 12 blinds, or maybe a drill or two one day insted of one or the other ? On an AA Pros truck that would equate to about the same 3 maybe 4 hours.

Add another 10 or 12 hours over the six days being staked out and that still leaves a lot of truck time.

john "

But, I can also see that we may well have it wrong from the dogs' perspectives; dogs may find living in proximity to other bird crazy competitors exhilarating beyond our wildest imaginings, they may find that being in 24 training setups a week pale next to being in 24 and listening to the loading and unloading of numerous other dogs to and from their truck, perhaps the vicarious thrill of hearing the same set up repeated throughout the day for their kennel mates raises their love of life to extremes you and I will never reach on our happiest day.
    It's all idle speculation without hearing from the dogs themselves.

However all is moot, in answer to the question you pose there is only one opinion which carries any merit, that being the one held by the vendor, shop around until you find a breeder who shares your view of what is best for their dog.
    power without lumber, raciness without weediness

A big man never looks down on others.... instead, he is someone to look up to.

Knowing what truck, kennel, field trial circuit life is like from my experience owning 2, 3, 4 dogs max I feel so sorry for those poor dogs owned by those who never even scratch the dogs ear even once in their life.
    I recall when I got started there were 2 Lottie bitches I was fascinated with. When one died on the pros truck while on the road still running at around 12, I became aware of the sorry dark side of this business.
    "Darla" AFC Candlewoods Lil Smokin Tequila (2002-2013)(fondly remembered)
    "Smoke" Smokin Auggies Menace, QAA (2003- )(retired nut case, ask Rando)
    "Simba" Humewood Simba (1999-2014)(my 1st dog)

Per favore, non mi rompere i coglioni.
    Grazie

[QUOTE=pcarpenter;1145147]I'm extremely confident the type of home you describe above isn't interested in purchasing a $1,500 - $2,500 FT dog. I also stated that my dogs hunt and were able to run, swim and retrieve daily. If you spent 20 hrs a day in a kennel you'd love to spend time with your trainer also. As a result, I find your post largely irrelevant to the original question.

You seem to want to cherry pick the answer to your question. Send your dog to the pro you have chosen then after a couple or few months go see them. Or pay for two holes and stay in one yourself. All dogs are different, mine seems to thrive on the enviroment. Spent alot of time working with my pro to realize he is where he needs to be at this time. He is offered more quality training time there than here. It's a choice only you can make!
    Black as mollases, call name Strap

Sire: Fc Afc Land ahoy "PIRATE"

Dam: Ten bears little bit "BUTTON"

Quote Originally Posted by Breck View Post
    Knowing what truck, kennel, field trial circuit life is like from my experience owning 2, 3, 4 dogs max I feel so sorry for those poor dogs owned by those who never even scratch the dogs ear even once in their life.
    I recall when I got started there were 2 Lottie bitches I was fascinated with. When one died on the pros truck while on the road still running at around 12, I became aware of the sorry dark side of this business.
    A similar story is what prompted me to ask the question. I assume it is the exception and not the norm.

Quote Originally Posted by blackasmollases View Post
    Send your dog to the pro you have chosen then after a couple or few months go see them. Or pay for two holes and stay in one yourself.
    That actually made me laugh but I take your point

Quote Originally Posted by blind ambition View Post
    But, I can also see that we may well have it wrong from the dogs' perspectives; dogs may find living in proximity to other bird crazy competitors exhilarating beyond our wildest imaginings, they may find that being in 24 training setups a week pale next to being in 24 and listening to the loading and unloading of numerous other dogs to and from their truck, perhaps the vicarious thrill of hearing the same set up repeated throughout the day for their kennel mates raises their love of life to extremes you and I will never reach on our happiest day.
    It's all idle speculation without hearing from the dogs themselves.
    This is one of the advantages having a dog on a pro truck. The field trial experience is more similar to the daily training regime. Very difficult for an amateur to simulate the trial experience unless a member of a large and dedicated training group.

Quote Originally Posted by Duckquilizer View Post
    It's in our human nature to try to re-invent the wheel. It is a business, but most FT breeders are ultimately trying to better the (thier) breed. A couch dog does nothing for proving that. Its not only FT dogs that are like this. Many high bred HT dog's are WAY to much for average house pets. All this is generalization but, it's a high percentage one. You will have to think about the big picture and not just your home, which I'm sure would be a great one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Justin Allen View Post
    I don't agree at all. No matter how well bred they can make excellent house dogs. I own dogs out of AFC Ready, Shaq, Ford and Ali. Some of them make better house dogs than working dogs. They will all sleep in the bed and cause zero trouble although the oldest has been a work in progress. My question to you would be what do you have to base your opinion on? How many of these said dogs do you have experience with?I haven't had many but I've yet to find one that isint a good pet.
    You are entitled to disagree, but this was my main point. And I never said they couldn't be good pets. The OP's questions/statements were related to why a breeder would not desire his/her high breed pups to go to a pet home. That is where my statements in blue come from.
    Kendall Layne

HR(2xHRCH) Ashland's Big Black Ruby to Go SH
    Dorie's Lady of the Lake(1K bird club)

Never play leap frog with a unicorn.

I'm sorry but I skipped a page or two due to time but...I understand the op's original question and see it a bit differently. Everyone wants notoriety or recognition for something. Common sense tells me that a breeder that won't sell you one of their high powered pups is decided for two reasons. 1. They want the sire/dam to get credit if pups do well and more importantly...no 2. THEY want credit. Want their name out their that they are the creators of the breeding etc. Lets not kid ourselves and deny this. I have no dog in this fight but you can't pizz down my back and tell me it's raining either. So..what about a breeder selling to me. I don't run any tests however I do train my dogs to a fairly high level but more important..I hunt a lot..probably much more than most on this site. So the pup would get to hunt and retrieve tons of waterfowl and upland birds a season. Wouldn't a breeder think that would be a great life for one of their pups?

Quote Originally Posted by vergy View Post
    I'm sorry but I skipped a page or two due to time but...I understand the op's original question and see it a bit differently. Everyone wants notoriety or recognition for something. Common sense tells me that a breeder that won't sell you one of their high powered pups is decided for two reasons. 1. They want the sire/dam to get credit if pups do well and more importantly...no 2. THEY want credit. Want their name out their that they are the creators of the breeding etc. Lets not kid ourselves and deny this. I have no dog in this fight but you can't pizz down my back and tell me it's raining either. So..what about a breeder selling to me. I don't run any tests however I do train my dogs to a fairly high level but more important..I hunt a lot..probably much more than most on this site. So the pup would get to hunt and retrieve tons of waterfowl and upland birds a season. Wouldn't a breeder think that would be a great life for one of their pups?
    Hunt test breeder would more than likely...Trial breeder would probably say "no thanks".
    Kendall Layne

HR(2xHRCH) Ashland's Big Black Ruby to Go SH
    Dorie's Lady of the Lake(1K bird club)

Never play leap frog with a unicorn.