The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Field Trial Dog Life

Quote Originally Posted by Breck View Post
    Knowing what truck, kennel, field trial circuit life is like from my experience owning 2, 3, 4 dogs max I feel so sorry for those poor dogs owned by those who never even scratch the dogs ear even once in their life.
    I recall when I got started there were 2 Lottie bitches I was fascinated with. When one died on the pros truck while on the road still running at around 12, I became aware of the sorry dark side of this business.
    Take the dogs home after the season is over. Learn to run your dog if it is on a pro truck.
    Know and recognize when it is over for your dog is important. IMO
    HRCH Scaupgetters Tarnation QAA
    http://www.huntinglabpedigree.com/pedigree.asp?id=83047
    HR Blackie 2 CGN, WCI
    Metras's Hashtag Mickey
    http://www.huntinglabpedigree.com/pedigree.asp?id=83051

"Knowing how important right timing is in accomplishing right actions"
    Uncle Ray

Quote Originally Posted by Duckquilizer View Post
    You are entitled to disagree, but this was my main point. And I never said they couldn't be good pets. The OP's questions/statements were related to why a breeder would not desire his/her high breed pups to go to a pet home. That is where my statements in blue come from.

Actually, my question wasn't why a breeder refused to sell me a pup. As I stated earlier, that's his/her prerogative. I understand that breeder's view.

I was told by a field trialer that some FT dogs don't live great lives. That prompted me to ask which dog had a better life (a) FT bred dog that hunts/runs/swims/retrieves daily and lives with a family or (d) FT dog that sends the bulk of his life on a pro truck. I realize after reading all these posts and weighing the different views (including yours) that my question was way too general as the circumstances and trainers our dogs live under are vary widely.

Quote Originally Posted by Mary Lynn Metras View Post
    Take the dogs home after the season is over. Learn to run your dog if it is on a pro truck.
    Know and recognize when it is over for your dog is important. IMO
    No kidding!
    You probably haven't been around long enough to get the actual meaning of my post.
    "Darla" AFC Candlewoods Lil Smokin Tequila (2002-2013)(fondly remembered)
    "Smoke" Smokin Auggies Menace, QAA (2003- )(retired nut case, ask Rando)
    "Simba" Humewood Simba (1999-2014)(my 1st dog)

Per favore, non mi rompere i coglioni.
    Grazie