The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Obedience question

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoLabs View Post
    If you're still making corrections on leash, he really doesn't understand "heel". More time, more places, gradually make your requirements more specific... he'll get there, but IMO you're expecting far too much from him. If he can't get to heel and stay in heel without cuing off your body language (arm motion to the left side, leash pull to heel, side-step to guide him, etc) he doesn't know what "heel" is. When he can work off verbal commands without body language in multiple places with distractions - then he knows it.

Also, there's a big difference in a dog's mind between starting in heel and staying in heel position - and coming to heel position from another place. The first is easy - I can "fake" a really nice off-leash heel with a green dog that isn't solid and doesn't really understand the concept. The second is tougher.

Think about what you want from the word "heel." Heel is a place, a position in relation to YOU. Heel is not a sit, a down, or a stand - but if you stop walking you do expect a sit. In the obedience ring, there are times that I want my dog to heel going over a jump, stop and stand in heel position, etc, etc. Think about what you want it to mean in your dog's mind and how to get across to him where he's expected to be and what to do when the situation changes (you turn, stop, a distraction presents itself, etc).

Last piece of advice - make sure you have a release word. You cannot expect him to know what "heel" is if there isn't a distinction in his mind between a structured heel and loose-leash walking or off-leash playtime.
    Good advice, especially the part about the release, which is often neglected to the confusion of dogs. IMO "heel" is a much more difficult concept than any of the other basic obedience commands. It could be that your dog understands no more than that when you are holding the leash in a training session, he must stay within range of the leash.

Amy Dahl

don't let your dog be like Fenton!!

http://www.wimp.com/dogpark/
    That's my boy "Blue"!!!! Flyin High in the Passenger Side x Katie May of Belgrade

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel J Simoens View Post
    don't let your dog be like Fenton!!

http://www.wimp.com/dogpark/
    That made my day thanks for sharing haha poor Fenton
    Drew Allain

Cajun Made King "Zeus"

My lab would not heel for nothing. I put on a pinch collar and in 5 min. she was walking at heel. I used it for a week, then transitioned to a lead.

2nd the pinch collar. It cleaned a lot of things up pretty quick. My dog has his collar his ecollar and a pinch collar when I did formal OB in the yard. Started with him on the pinch then worked to where I put the lead on his normal collar and then took off the pinch and then off with the regular collar. He was walking good at heel in about 10 days. Between taking the pinch off and the regular I did the CC to heel kind how Chris does it in DDB. It worked well for me.
    Bay's Smokin' Aces Royal Flush "Ace"

Thanks for the tips the have been really helpful and being a newbie I need all the help I can get