The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My CBR and her new kennel

Default My CBR and her new kennel

So the little one is getting big. She is 4 old months now. And she has been wonderful. What a true blessing to our lives!!

She has started doing something recently that is "weird" (read cute). And I would like to know anyone's take on this. I had to recently buy a bigger kennel for her. Almost immediately she started going into her new kennel and pulling all of her toys and chews and blankets out. It's almost like she is trying to save her toys from the new "evil cave". I really can't figure this out.

I am not complaining at all. Just want some others take on this. She kennels incredibly well. She has not gone to the bathroom once in the old or new kennel. Sleeps sound as a baby and we only hear a peep from her in the morning...It's my I can't hold it much longer alarm clock.

Thanks for your input.

Below: Loot saved from the evil cave!!!!

Evil Cave.jpg

Dogs don't think of it as the evil cave. Many dogs feel safe and comfortable in it and would rather be in their kennel.
    Gentle in what you do. Firm in how you do it.

CH SILVERCREEK MURRAY SAMUEL (MURRAY) WDQ CGC MH *** 2/16/00 - 12/26/12
    WESTWIND WHISPERING COVE (LARRY son of Murray) WDQ MH ***
    LPK DELAWARE RIVER WHISPERING COVE **(SAVAGE SAM son of FC Chester MH)
    WESTWIND WHISPERING COVE JAY ** ( Larry's son and Murray's grandson)

Just a thought, maybe the new bigger kennel smells funny? Wipe it down(all over) with whatever you were cleaning her little one with and then let it air out outside. Then rub her scent from her blankets and toys all over it, and rub your scent from your sweaty clothes all over it. Who knows what she is thinking. I have one female that pulls the boys fluffy pads out of their kennels, piles them up and then lays on them. Those females, I just laugh and put everything back where it belongs.

I think she is telling you she doesn't want to share her new bedroom with that other stuff. Either that, or she is fetching all that stuff and bringing it to you.

Heres my take....she is preparing you for years to come!!!!Why does a peake do what they do??? Jim
    Jim Weitzel
    Proud member of Ole Roy prostaff

My 8 mos old Chessie used to do that too, still does sometimes. It wasn't a big deal. As long as you aren't using the crate as punishmet and the pup goes in nicely and sleeps well in it, I'm sure he doesn't think the crate is evil. Dogs usually love their crates and feel secure in them. Maybe he just wants to play with his stuff. I think our pup drug his stuff out to be closer to us in the evening while still having his snuggly blanket. We have hardwood floors...it made sense.

MY 4 year old CBR does the same thing. He can't stand to have anything in the crate with him.
    HRCH UR01 CH UNJ WHISKEY CREEK'S DUKE CHASCERI MH
    Cherokee Foothills HRC

Quote Originally Posted by T-Pines View Post
    Just a thought, maybe the new bigger kennel smells funny? Wipe it down(all over) with whatever you were cleaning her little one with and then let it air out outside. Then rub her scent from her blankets and toys all over it, and rub your scent from your sweaty clothes all over it. Who knows what she is thinking. I have one female that pulls the boys fluffy pads out of their kennels, piles them up and then lays on them. Those females, I just laugh and put everything back where it belongs.
    This was my first instinct lol Since she has moved in with us she has always had the same kennel and familiar smell of that kennel!! Now some new plastic smelling "entity" has taken its place. lol

Quote Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
    My 8 mos old Chessie used to do that too, still does sometimes. It wasn't a big deal. As long as you aren't using the crate as punishmet and the pup goes in nicely and sleeps well in it, I'm sure he doesn't think the crate is evil.
    We definitely do not use the crate as punishment! My instinct is telling me this one might be winner winner chicken dinner "Heres my take....she is preparing you for years to come!!!!Why does a peake do what they do??? Jim"

lol Whatever the reason...it is pretty cute! And it doesn't bother me at all. Just had me scratching my head. Thanks to everyone's replies and shared experience on this

Below: Another toy saved today!!!

Better hands than the Balt. Ravens!.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by jd6400 View Post
    Why does a peake do what they do??? Jim
    Ain't it the truth! I'm pretty much convinced there's a Chessie union out there and they're all card carrying members.