The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Verbal Dog On The Line

Default Verbal Dog On The Line

When a dog is verbal on the line and barks on release, what can be done to improve this situation?

Advice I received was to have really long marks so not as exciting to the dog and break the habit of the vocalization. Once you do that you should be
    able to return to normal marks, but probably will still need to keep in some distance on some of the marks.
    Hope this helps- it did work for my dog.
    Sylvia McClure
    Retrieve a Cure
    Home of:
    Belvedere's Jolly Jackson MH
    FC-AFC Hilltop's High Society
    QAA High Society's Bewitched
    QAA Trumarc's Mavis
    High Society's Hatari Rumble
    High Society's Courtesan

www.reelretrievers.com

Quote Originally Posted by sradewan View Post
    When a dog is verbal on the line and barks on release, what can be done to improve this situation?
    My gut tells me that this started in the past and now is getting ugly, because you let it....IMO....

Another school of thought is to avoid any reinforcement AT ALL. Our training group has a high octane fire-breather who verbalizes badly. If she's allowed to get away with it, her line manners (such as they are) crash and burn. If she even squeeks walking from the holding blind she's heeled off the line and put up. Maybe 20 minutes later... they try her again. It's been the only thing that works.

I'm also studying Total Retriever Marking. In one demo Lardy is handling the dog who yips as he leaves the line. Lardy yells "NO! HERE! PICK UP THE BIRDS!" then grabs the dog's snout and wops him under the jaw a few times yelling "QUIET! QUIET!" Subsequently the dog was quiet.

Try this but if it has gone to far-it is difficult to work with.

I'm also studying Total Retriever Marking. In one demo Lardy is handling the dog who yips as he leaves the line. Lardy yells "NO! HERE! PICK UP THE BIRDS!" then grabs the dog's snout and wops him under the jaw a few times yelling "QUIET! QUIET!" Subsequently the dog was quiet.
    HRCH Scaupgetters Tarnation QAA

HR Blackie 2 CGN, WCI

Metras's Hashtag Mickey

VERBAL ,I would say you really have something there.

I have noticed a couple of threads on vocal dogs. Check out what Gun_Dog2002 has to say on the issue by going to Black Ice Retrievers, his website. His advice looks really good. He also suggests looking for improvements in increments.
    "I love the rod and gun and where they take me."

"Do not judge a man until you have walked two moons in his moccasins."

Ask Roadkill!!

Depends why he's doing it... are you in force to pile and he's developed that reaction from being forced? Is he frustrated from being made to sit while the marks go down? The cause determines the solution.
    Darrin Greene

How old is dog? A bark off the line can be common with a puppy, it usually goes away if you keep enforcing quite, nick. Still some dogs will give a single bark when released, if this is the only noise that comes from your dog, you might be beating your head against a wall to try and fix that. A single bark when released might be an annoyance but there are much bigger issues, as long as the dog isn't making noise any other time, when the birds are going down, all the way out to the bird, you've got vocal issue pretty well under control. Patience sometimes help with this; dog doesn't get to retrieve until she is quite, you wait her out before release. Or if the dog is barking all the way out to the bird, a soft nick quite nick quite can work, the sort of pressure you'd use when a pup runs a beach during shore breaking.
    Last edited by Hunt'EmUp; 09-09-2013 at 12:31 PM.
    "They's Just DAWGS"
    "Hunting is a skill to be learned whether you do it early or late it still needs to be learned"
    "I train dogs, Not papers"

GMRH-I HRCH Quick MH (most importantly Duck/Upland Enthusiast) Rip. July-2014
    MHR HRCH Lakota MH (most importantly Upland/Duck Enthusiast)
    HR Storm.. the Pup (Beginning Upland & Waterfowl Enthusiast)