The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Verbal Dog On The Line

Quote Originally Posted by M&K's Retrievers View Post
    Not sure what that means but your accusation is pure BS and you know it.
    http://dogpotus.proboards.com/thread/912/rtf-hacked

Read that and tell me that's not derogatory. It's frankly worse because its a personal attack. I've never attacked Evan, Stan or Bon personally although I do question Evans methods and motives at times. Hard not to do with his his behaviors all over the Internet. Disagreeing with training methods is not personal. If they want to take their ball and go home fine, just don't start a debate on something and then whine when you can't make a point.

/Paul
    Paul Cantrell
    Black Ice Retrievers
    Marcola OR

Too many dogs to list (By some Bitch)

https://www.facebook.com/BlackIceRetrievers
    http://gundog2002.blogspot.com/
    "Helping Hunters Train Their Dogs"

Then you must be from New York City.
    Wayne Nutt
    Go Nutts with dog training

HRCH Patton's Parker Co. Shadow "Shadow"
    HRCH Clineline Hijacker "Jack"
    HRCH Marks a Lot Midnight Hudson, SH "Hudson"-retired
    Castile Creek's Rawhide, SH "Rowdy"

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Bohn View Post
    Ok Darrin what's your solution if the dog makes noise if he's being forced to pile??????????

And what's your solution if he's "frustrated"??? Randy
    Try something you think would work and see what happens. If it works, continue, if not, then stop and do something else.

In FTP it seems like backing off the frequency of the re-enforcement will let the dog relax and stop anticipating the pressure. That's worked for me in the past with the couple of dogs I've seen it in.

With frustration it seems as though you have to deny the reward (retrieve) unless the dog is quiet. You also have to be careful with timing so you don't accidentally reward the barking. I've dealt with this a lot. Not so much with retrievers but with pets. The same basic principal applies, though you have to be more careful to avoid side affects.

With this particular situation I would be looking for ways to handle the issue AWAY from marks because I would be concerned with preserving style and momentum. With a pet dog we just count to three and give em a cookie after they shut up
    Last edited by DarrinGreene; 09-13-2013 at 06:38 AM.
    Darrin Greene

Quote Originally Posted by Gun_Dog2002 View Post
    http://dogpotus.proboards.com/thread/912/rtf-hacked

Read that and tell me that's not derogatory. It's frankly worse because its a personal attack. I've never attacked Evan, Stan or Bon personally although I do question Evans methods and motives at times. Hard not to do with his his behaviors all over the Internet. Disagreeing with training methods is not personal. If they want to take their ball and go home fine, just don't start a debate on something and then whine when you can't make a point.

/Paul
    The way I read that is they were not derogatory about RTF just some of the participants. Nothing was said over there that couldn't have been said here.. If you don't care for that forum, then why lurk there?
    Last edited by M&K's Retrievers; 09-13-2013 at 08:40 AM.
    M&K's HR UH Tucker of Texoma JH
    M&K's SHR Prime Black Angus
    M&K's Miss Jessie Girl JH
    Sir Jacob of Lakeview-Jake
    Freeway JYD

Mike Whitworth

I've had a couple that were vocal, one was really bad. I did the same as you and asked for help from others that have actually faced and took this problem on themselves. I spoke to a man that helped me out but the problem never went completely away really all you can do is mask it. He told me to separate field work (marking) from yard work (drills or obedience). Making corrections in the field will just make it worse. All dogs are different just like us and you are just going to have to ask yourself if you want to take on this problem or punt. The sad thing is that most vocal dogs have great desire and are unbelievable markers. It can get to a point of no return. How old is the pup? Most of the clutch slips off the line when they are pups goes away. It's the singing at the line and on the way to the mark that is hard to get rid of. As soon as to can enforce HOLD making them hold a bumper in their mouth while marks are thrown in the field helps.
    Last edited by WBF; 09-13-2013 at 09:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by M&K's Retrievers View Post
    The way I read that is they were not derogatory about RTF just some of the participants. Nothing was said over there that couldn't have been said here.. If you don't care for that forum, then why lurk there?
    I was sent the link. Funny they do the same there, yet denounce it here. Interesting.

/Paul
    Paul Cantrell
    Black Ice Retrievers
    Marcola OR

Too many dogs to list (By some Bitch)

https://www.facebook.com/BlackIceRetrievers
    http://gundog2002.blogspot.com/
    "Helping Hunters Train Their Dogs"

I'd like like to buy a vowel Pat.

If your dog is 'Verbal' on the line....does he then smile...?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vgeLFfaTCX4
    Last edited by JDogger; 09-16-2013 at 11:26 PM.
    One cannot reason someone out of something they were not reasoned into. - Jonathan Swift

Vocal labradors should be banned...lol. I have a worrying youngster vocal at the line, yips in excitement when just about to pick up bumper and yp yip yip yip yips when retrieving in watsr.

No marks for this yipping teeth chattering youngster for a while.
    Field trial labradors, the wind beneath my wings,

sometimes poop under my boots.

As for the OP's question, first thought was Randy Bohn. I remember Road Kill had serious problems in this area a few years ago, I thought Randy helped him through it. Unfortunately the rest of the thread went off track for no reason, it's not the middle of winter when we have nothing to do so we get snarky, this should be the peak of trial season with hunting just around the corner.