The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Gun Dog Broker
Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast

Thread: Please define secondary selection

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Shih View Post

Vindicated? You have an odd interpretation of events, Susan.
    Innocent? The thought never crossed my mind.
    Curious as to his basis of knowledge, since he does not judge or run field trials? Absolutely
    Satisfied as to his competence to support his claims? No, but this is the internet where - as the ad says - everyone who says that they are a French model, must be
    I ran field trials back in the early 80's before the hunt test game got started ...My first dog was QAA at 26 mths ....I trained pointing dogs for 10 years in the 70's and got my first lab at the age of 15 and trained to hunt...by the James Lamb Free book...I can't judge field trials because of my pro status....I have judged HT before they started keeping track of points...too many to keep track of now, but AKC can give you some info if needed.....Switched from the FT game to HT when our club wanted to become a licensed club...I hope this meets your need to know my bio...Steve S
    "Your dog learns as much by doing his work right,by your praise and encouragement, as he does by your displeasure and correction." DLWalters

Ted , this is going to be my last post on the subject... You good and well know the reason it isn't done is because of the dogs desire to get the flyer...not the short dead bird....I also stated if all is equal the dog is not as hard to convince to give to the handler...Have a good night ...Steve S PS: I have had the privilege to sit beside Rex and talk dog for week at his place...In case you need to look for a feather in my cap.....
    Last edited by steve schreiner; 09-10-2013 at 11:05 PM.
    "Your dog learns as much by doing his work right,by your praise and encouragement, as he does by your displeasure and correction." DLWalters

Quote Originally Posted by steve schreiner View Post
    Ted , this is going to be my last post on the subject... You good and well know the reason it isn't done is because of the dogs desire to get the flyer...not the short dead bird....I also stated if all is equal the dog is not as hard to convince to give to the handler...Have a good night ...Steve S PS: I have had the privilege to sit beside Rex and talk dog for week at his place...In case you need to look for a feather in my cap.....
    I would find your explanation as inexplicable and contradictory if you had 20 feathers in your cap.
    Competition does not build character - It reveals it.

Home of:
    FC/AFC Freeridin Wowie Zowie (2003 NARC Finalist)
    FC/AFC Sky Hy Husker Power
    FC/AFC Freeridin Smooth Operator
    FC/AFC Freeridin Vampire Slayer (2007 NARC Finalist)
    AFC Freeridin Maserati (Double Header Winner)

www.freeridinretrievers.com

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Shih View Post

Vindicated? You have an odd interpretation of events, Susan.
    Innocent? The thought never crossed my mind.
    Curious as to his basis of knowledge, since he does not judge or run field trials? Absolutely
    Satisfied as to his competence to support his claims? No, but this is the internet where - as the ad says - everyone who says that they are a French model, must be
    Ted, there are people out there with dogs, believe it or not... Who don't run field trials who can primary select. I don't know what makes you think the whole world revolves around field trials? I've made this point before, but evidently you didn't get it. There are some well known pro's out there who don't judge (obviously) or run field trials... Does that make them unqualified to discuss primary selection? Maybe you even know one or two of them?

I enjoy FTs more than the other dog games I have played, but there are many good dog people in the other games. Pull your head out of the clouds. Your condescension is showing...
    Bill Davis

Quote Originally Posted by JusticeDog View Post
    gooser- What venue do you run where the judges dictate the order you must pick up the birds? I have only run akc fts, akc hts, and Ukc hts.
    Respectfully Miss Susan, HRC.

Some folks, when there dogs are accomplished running seasoned tests, May run a Seasoned test or two and work on ( practice) SELECTION because Finished judges can and do dictate order of pick up.

Now to be fair and honest, it has been awhile since my Bailey has run a Finished test, but, my experiences of the past tells me many dogs in other venues primary select.
    Could be wrong , wouldn't be the first time. MAybe it's a thing of the past, but I have experienced it often.

Gooser
    It is far easier to spit on the work of others than it is to produce something better yourself.
    Brynmoors Prairie Sage JH ​(Sage) Just a dang fool huntin Dawg
    HRCH Calypso Seven Bales High SH (Bailey)
    HR Calypso Zoomin Loosies Mad Hader (Maddi) We loved you baby. R.I.P.
    FlatLanders Broken Pistol Ricochet (Flinch)

My Christian Name is Michael Baker..
    I have gone by "Gooser" since I was a "gossling"

Despite what others think, I am very proud of my HRCH SH Bailey.
    14 yrs old and on her last legs, but I have had a ball with her.

Gooser
    It is far easier to spit on the work of others than it is to produce something better yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by MooseGooser View Post
    Despite what others think, I am very proud of my HRCH SH Bailey.
    14 yrs old and on her last legs, but I have had a ball with her.

Gooser
    You should be proud of her man. If for no other reason than she is yours. The fact that she is 14 only makes it better. Awesome...
    Bill Davis

You are hunting a river channel.

Several birds come in

Theys all flyers.

the last one that falls lands stone dead on the near bank, but one a them is crippled, and is in river current swimming downstream. Which one a them flyers you goin after first?

and really how hard was it to train the dog to do it?

To the traing group I train with, who chastise me for running my mouth here, when I should be training instead.

Its 11:35 PM, I just got home from work,it's pourin rain. The sun ain't shinin, ( see other thread).
    Mrs Gooser is asleep, Flinch don't go out in the rain, I don't have nothin better to do , so, I am eatin a doughnut, and postin my 2 cents.

You can take it out on me when Ya see me next.

Gooser
    Last edited by MooseGooser; 09-10-2013 at 11:59 PM.

Ted, how many dogs have you personally trained, with no pro involvement, how many and what to titles? We all know you buy dogs and pay to have them trained. In a true training discussion the best you can do is repeat whatever pro you were paying at the time. I have no issue with your love for dogs, he sport, knowledge of judging and the rules but until you train a dog to do more than piss on a tree you might want to back down. Having money does not a dog trainer make.

/Paul
    Paul Cantrell
    Black Ice Retrievers
    Marcola OR

Too many dogs to list (By some Bitch)

https://www.facebook.com/BlackIceRetrievers
    http://gundog2002.blogspot.com/
    "Helping Hunters Train Their Dogs"