The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast

Thread: Please define secondary selection

Quote Originally Posted by MooseGooser View Post
    Respectfully Miss Susan, HRC.

Some folks, when there dogs are accomplished running seasoned tests, May run a Seasoned test or two and work on ( practice) SELECTION because Finished judges can and do dictate order of pick up.

Now to be fair and honest, it has been awhile since my Bailey has run a Finished test, but, my experiences of the past tells me many dogs in other venues primary select.
    Could be wrong , wouldn't be the first time. MAybe it's a thing of the past, but I have experienced it often.

Gooser
    Running HRC in the Midwest, I was never dictated the order in which to pick up a bird. Be that as it may, I think that the situation changes because of the distance. At the finished level, the long bird is not long as the ones you see in a field trial. Probably 1/3rd the distance. Therefore, the dog gets its rewards sooner rather than later. I think that makes it easier to primary select in this kind of venue. I believe it has to do with the timing of the reward, sooner rather than later. And there's nothing more exciting than a cripple.
    Susan

FC Tribute to Justice, JH "Honor"
    FC AFC Contempt of Court "Ruckus"
    Medal Of Honor, QAA "Valor"
    HRCH Kirby's High Sierra, SH, QAA "Kirby"
    HRCH Niki Snowbird, SH, QAA "Niki"
    Southland Order In the Court, QAA "Gavel" July 17, 2002- March 24, 2013
    Southland Rusty Nail - derby points, qual placements "Rusty"
    www.justiceretrievers.com

Despite what others think, I am very proud of my HRCH SH Bailey.
    14 yrs old and on her last legs, but I have had a ball with her.

Gooser
    Despite what others may think, I am pretty proud of my two HRCH, SH, QAA'D dogs. One is 12 and one is 11.5 years old. I trained them both. Some of the most fun I have had training dogs is with those two. You should be proud of her, and you, for the journey you have taken.
    Susan

Quote Originally Posted by JeffLusk View Post
    Haven't been on RTF in ages, and when I come back... Ted is still Ted!! Just glad I'm not on the receiving end!!
    Good to lurk around on here again!
    Hey there Jeff, it is nice to see you looking around on RTF! I can totally relate to the demands of family and youngsters playing on the retriever addiction. (Assuming that is a factor in your not being around as much lately).

I hope all is going great for you!
    "Determining and applying the criteria for when and when not to use correction is the essence of the art of dog training. I make a distinction between a mistake and a lack of effort." - Mike Lardy - Volume I "After Collar Conditioning"

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Atkinson View Post
    Hey there Jeff, it is nice to see you looking around on RTF! I can totally relate to the demands of family and youngsters playing on the retriever addiction. (Assuming that is a factor in your not being around as much lately).

I hope all is going great for you!
    Obviously you don't know about Jeff and the Hitmen.
    Susan

You are hunting a river channel.

Several birds come in

Theys all flyers.

the last one that falls lands stone dead on the near bank, but one a them is crippled, and is in river current swimming downstream. Which one a them flyers you goin after first?

and really how hard was it to train the dog to do it?
    A "river wise" dog will run the bank past the long one then enter the river and intercept it, and on the return will pick the other one up and bring them both in at the same time to save a few steps

john
    "i guess the old saying 'those of us that think we know everything annoy those of you that does' " --bobbyb 9/13/06

"A Good Dog is a Good Dog"

(QUOTE=john fallon;1145087]A "river wise" dog will run the bank past the long one then enter the river and intercept it, and on the return will pick the other one up and bring them both in at the same time to save a few steps

john[/QUOTE]

That's my Gus

When HUNTING.

Dont you guys think that MANY times there might not be true Last bird down? ( are you ALWAYS sure what bird fell last?)
    I mean if even just 2 guys are hunting together, isnt the action a volly of shots,with birds falling prett much at the same time?

When thats over, Gooser's eyes are crossed, Hat is bakards, glasses have fallen off, from the recoil of them silly 4 7/8 Magnums 8 guage shells I is shootin..
    The dog (If steady...(Never)) may be locked on a bird that is down,, but, many times, at least when Ya hunt with me,, there is a crippled bird tryin to escape..
    Often, you may require the dog to "No" off a particular go bird, to pick up another..

I get told all the time when I give an example like this, folks say,,, " No WONDER your dog cant run tests!"

Hunting.... Marks often are in current where the bird floats or swims off... Very seldom in a HT.
    Hunting... Many times marks fall in open water with a splash,, but bird swims to heavy Catail cover, and you are left with a Hunt em up.

I think dogs HAVE to be able to "Select" whether it be primaryily ,seconadrily,, or in the perfect way, "Idealy"

I get confused over all the terms.. and when hunting , dont have the time or mental capacity to stand there and figger out which one is which..

Ok,, Out the door to throw a couple a marks fer Flinch,, just in case training group is taken notes again on my wasting time...

Gooser

P.S.

Miss Susan,,, Like Ted would say,,,,, read the HRC rule book,, and attend a Handler seminar Just pullin your chain.
    It is far easier to spit on the work of others than it is to produce something better yourself.
    Brynmoors Prairie Sage JH ​(Sage) Just a dang fool huntin Dawg
    HRCH Calypso Seven Bales High SH (Bailey)
    HR Calypso Zoomin Loosies Mad Hader (Maddi) We loved you baby. R.I.P.
    FlatLanders Broken Pistol Ricochet SH (Flinch)

My Christian Name is Michael Baker..
    I have gone by "Gooser" since I was a "gossling"

Was this entire thread really all about arguing different names for basic things, we do everyday? Ummm who cares about a name as long as the dog get the birds, whether I select order, the dog selects order, or divine interference selects the order, if the dog picks them all up good, better than others; we'll I'm sure I meant to do it that way, and maybe I'll make up some words-develop methods to add a little confusion, on the proper way to teach a dog, and exactly why I choose to have my dog amazingly pick up this bird over that. Or maybe I'll just teach my dog to mark everything, teach him to go where I send him, when I send him regardless of which order. Then I don't have to worry about verbiage, selection order names, or anything else because the dog goes where he's sent, bring back birds.

So was that; Divine influence selection process, or the Don't have a clue "pulled it out of your ..." selection process; either way it worked out real well, you should train for it
    "They's Just DAWGS"
    "Hunting is a skill to be learned whether you do it early or late it still needs to be learned"
    "I train dogs, Not papers"

GMRH HRCH Quick MH (most importantly Duck/Upland Enthusiast) Rip. July-2014
    MHR HRCH Lakota MH (most importantly Upland/Duck Enthusiast)
    HR Storm.. the Pup (Beginning Upland & Waterfowl Enthusiast)

The beauty of this forum is that someone can pose a rather simple question which is promptly answered in a brief, clear, and concise manner and there ensues a 3 day debate which provides endless entertainment value but totally clouds the issue and confuses the OP.

I've enjoyed it too.
    If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough.