The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast
Results 71 to 80 of 117

Thread: Please define secondary selection

  1. #71
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Pa.
    Posts
    5,317

    Default

    ...This is the reason primary selection has been given up by most.....Steve S
    Was primary selection ever embraces by many?

    john
    "i guess the old saying 'those of us that think we know everything annoy those of you that does' " --bobbyb 9/13/06

    "A Good Dog is a Good Dog"

  2. #72
    Senior Member Ted Shih's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Golden, Colorado
    Posts
    4,956

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by steve schreiner View Post
    I agree with this ....It isn't the marking so much as the dog that will give his/her will over to the handler ....The dog has to have the memory to pick them up but the ability of the handler to teach the dog to take a back seat on the team is the hard part...Dogs can be very head strong in this area...This is the reason primary selection has been given up by most.....Steve S

    And you know this ... how?
    Last edited by Ted Shih; 09-10-2013 at 09:05 PM.
    Competition does not build character - It reveals it.

    Home of:
    FC/AFC Freeridin Wowie Zowie (2003 NARC Finalist)
    FC/AFC Sky Hy Husker Power
    FC/AFC Freeridin Smooth Operator
    FC/AFC Freeridin Vampire Slayer (2007 NARC Finalist)
    AFC Freeridin Maserati (Double Header Winner)

    www.freeridinretrievers.com

  3. #73
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Cape Girardeau Mo.
    Posts
    1,365

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by john fallon View Post
    Was primary selection ever embraces by many?

    john
    Probably not, but tried by many....As Rex stated and gave it up ...too hard to teach to most dogs ...the reason is because dogs can be head strong.....As Dennis has stated, it is practiced a lot in Canada...The reason is because of no flyers ,thus less of a temptation for the dog to choose which one it wants....If practiced a lot the concept must not be that hard to teach ...It is all about the dog giving to the handlers will...Steve S
    Last edited by steve schreiner; 09-10-2013 at 10:20 PM.
    "Your dog learns as much by doing his work right,by your praise and encouragement, as he does by your displeasure and correction." DLWalters

  4. #74
    Senior Member Ted Shih's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Golden, Colorado
    Posts
    4,956

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by steve schreiner View Post
    Probably not ...As Rex stated and gave it up ...too hard to teach to most dogs ...the reason is because dogs can be head strong.....As Dennis has stated it is practiced a lot in Canada...The reason is because of no flyers ,thus less of a temptation for the dog to choose which one it wants....If practiced a lot the concept must not be that hard to teach ...It is all about the dog giving to the handlers will......Steve S

    I repeat ... you know this ... how?
    Competition does not build character - It reveals it.

    Home of:
    FC/AFC Freeridin Wowie Zowie (2003 NARC Finalist)
    FC/AFC Sky Hy Husker Power
    FC/AFC Freeridin Smooth Operator
    FC/AFC Freeridin Vampire Slayer (2007 NARC Finalist)
    AFC Freeridin Maserati (Double Header Winner)

    www.freeridinretrievers.com

  5. #75
    Senior Member JusticeDog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Illinois/Wisconsin
    Posts
    6,196

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ted Shih View Post

    I repeat ... you know this ... how?
    I think it was the same poll that determined how most people in the sport use the term secondary selection and what most people in the sport feed their dogs.

    Respectfully, I disagree with Steve. I think it can be a very difficult concept to teach, that of running past a short gun and sending long in many instances. This means the dog may at times have to disregard their nose, And disregard a bird that is quicker to get to, And obviously knows it is there. I personally wouldn't classify it as an issue of a dog being head strong. In certain situations with the right dog, it can be a beautiful tool in your war chest.

    Interesting discussion as long as people are not being chastised or beat up.
    Susan

    FC Tribute to Justice, JH "Honor"
    FC AFC Contempt of Court "Ruckus"
    Medal Of Honor, QAA "Valor"
    HRCH Kirby's High Sierra, SH, QAA "Kirby"
    HRCH Niki Snowbird, SH, QAA "Niki"
    Southland Order In the Court, QAA "Gavel" July 17, 2002- March 24, 2013
    Southland Rusty Nail - derby points, qual placements "Rusty"
    www.justiceretrievers.com

  6. #76
    Senior Member Ted Shih's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Golden, Colorado
    Posts
    4,956

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JusticeDog View Post

    Interesting discussion as long as people are not being chastised or beat up.

    And it is "beating" someone up, to ask how they know what they promote?
    Competition does not build character - It reveals it.

    Home of:
    FC/AFC Freeridin Wowie Zowie (2003 NARC Finalist)
    FC/AFC Sky Hy Husker Power
    FC/AFC Freeridin Smooth Operator
    FC/AFC Freeridin Vampire Slayer (2007 NARC Finalist)
    AFC Freeridin Maserati (Double Header Winner)

    www.freeridinretrievers.com

  7. #77
    Senior Member Ted Shih's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Golden, Colorado
    Posts
    4,956

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by steve schreiner View Post

    If practiced a lot the concept must not be that hard to teach
    What pros teach primary selection? What pros teach ideal selection? If they don't teach it, why not?
    Competition does not build character - It reveals it.

    Home of:
    FC/AFC Freeridin Wowie Zowie (2003 NARC Finalist)
    FC/AFC Sky Hy Husker Power
    FC/AFC Freeridin Smooth Operator
    FC/AFC Freeridin Vampire Slayer (2007 NARC Finalist)
    AFC Freeridin Maserati (Double Header Winner)

    www.freeridinretrievers.com

  8. #78
    Senior Member JeffLusk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Graham, WA
    Posts
    2,043

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ted Shih View Post

    And it is "beating" someone up, to ask how they know what they promote?
    Haven't been on RTF in ages, and when I come back... Ted is still Ted!! Just glad I'm not on the receiving end!!
    Good to lurk around on here again!
    Rainbow's November Rain MH***
    Freeridin' Whiskey River Don't Run Dry***

  9. #79
    Senior Member JusticeDog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Illinois/Wisconsin
    Posts
    6,196

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JeffLusk View Post
    Haven't been on RTF in ages, and when I come back... Ted is still Ted!! Just glad I'm not on the receiving end!!
    Good to lurk around on here again!
    Isn't that the truth? Steve has been chastised throughout this thread, and was vindicated, and then someone thinks a question asked repetitively is going to be perceived as innocent. Go figure.
    Susan

    FC Tribute to Justice, JH "Honor"
    FC AFC Contempt of Court "Ruckus"
    Medal Of Honor, QAA "Valor"
    HRCH Kirby's High Sierra, SH, QAA "Kirby"
    HRCH Niki Snowbird, SH, QAA "Niki"
    Southland Order In the Court, QAA "Gavel" July 17, 2002- March 24, 2013
    Southland Rusty Nail - derby points, qual placements "Rusty"
    www.justiceretrievers.com

  10. #80
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Cape Girardeau Mo.
    Posts
    1,365

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ted Shih View Post

    I repeat ... you know this ... how?
    Ted,I'm sure you have read that statement many time in numerous discussion or comments about what goes on in Canada like I have...Dennis's own words...I have taught it to several dogs over the years...From my own experience the concept is not hard to teach if done with bumpers or dummies...Only when the objects become different and the dog has a preference the problem of who's will, will prevail...Steve S
    "Your dog learns as much by doing his work right,by your praise and encouragement, as he does by your displeasure and correction." DLWalters

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •