The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Transitioning from AKC Marking to HRC Marking

Just ran a test with wingers that were cushioned and you could not hear them.

The Grand doesn't "cushion" their wingers. They are simply a new set from Gunners Up with eyebolts on the legs for stakes...no secret sound reducers...
    Just throw your dog marks from wingers with NO shots in the field...he will get used to hearing the winger slap at a miriad of distances..
    Joe Overby
    Candler Creek Retrievers
    www.candlercreekretrievers.com
    GRHRCH UH "Hooch" MH (HRC 1500 pt. club)
    HRCH "Tater" MH

Quote Originally Posted by JoeOverby View Post
    The Grand doesn't "cushion" their wingers. They are simply a new set from Gunners Up with eyebolts on the legs for stakes...no secret sound reducers...
    Just throw your dog marks from wingers with NO shots in the field...he will get used to hearing the winger slap at a miriad of distances..
    I agree with the above statement, but if it were me I'd do all my marking sit-ups with a gun and sitting on a bucket maybe work in a lay out blind just in case never heard of it being done at the Grand but you never know, also I'd work off a ruff stand alot in the water. Use your voice Q's at first to aid the dog but as soon possible I'd get away from the voice Q's use push - pull drills with your feet while sitting on the buckett.
    Remember when training from the buckett DON'T let the dog beat you from the blind to the buckett. Would hate to get to the Grand and be put out before ever getting to see a mark, because the dog beat you to the buckett.
    Also one last thing you said your going to run finished tests before going to the grand. I'd try to find judges that have judged the grand before and run under them. I'd let them know my intention is to go to the Grand and I'd ask them what mark downs would they have given me if we were at the Grand. I.E. was my water blind a 1 or a 2. They'll let you know what you need to tighten up before going to the Grand. Hope this helps, and Good Luck.
    Last edited by Golden Boy; 09-10-2013 at 08:34 AM.
    Cold Creek Gundogs
    The more I'm on the internet the more I love my dogs.

Be very careful giving commands at the Grand. Here, heel and sit are all fine as long as your dog isn't moving. Stopping forward motion with a command could be considered a controlled break. Train with someone that runs the Grand & take advice from them.

Some of the best Grand dogs sit absolutely still & only move their head with the gun.
    Mark Land

OK, what is "cushioning a winger?"
    Wm. Mark Edwards
    Pascagoula, MS

HRCH (500) UH Ellie Mae MH
    SHR Tipsy

Quote Originally Posted by GulfCoast View Post
    OK, what is "cushioning a winger?"
    Monroe-Matics, they don't come in camo only yeller. They R buy 3 get one free right now.
    "Character is doing the right thing when nobody is watching"....J.C. Watts