The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Gun Dog Broker
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First Heat

Default First Heat

My chocolate lab female just turned a year old on August 18th, but has yet to have her first heat cycle. At what point do I start to get concerned?

Currently middle of the "Great" Plains- Ord NE

When she turns three.
    Raina Anderson WWW.FIREHOUSELABS.COM

According to this BMI chart, I am too short !!!

My 16 month old just came in for the first time. It isn't unusual for the girls to be older the first time.

Laurie

Currently middle of the "Great" Plains- Ord NE

There are many factors which determines when your girl will come in heat. Your best bet would be to ask the owner of her mother when she came in for the first time since it often runs in the family. Also, if you only have the one dog or just females around and they don't often interact with the opposite sex, things could be delayed. Amount of body fat or the lack of it will also delay heat cycles. The first heat cycle could be minimal, very little swelling, very little to no noticeable bleeding, and could last for a very short duration- under a week. Black dogs are also better at keeping these things "secret" over yellows which seem to be a lot more noticeable.
    Raina Anderson WWW.FIREHOUSELABS.COM

According to this BMI chart, I am too short !!!

What Raina said!
    I have never had a female (from my current family of Labs) that has had her first heat cycle before 12 months. Normal for us is in the 14-17 month range with a few a little sooner or later than that.
    Erin Lynes
    Eromit Labrador Retrievers

Home of:
    Twig AGDC, Ruger JH MGDC SGDC, Winchester SGDC RNCL, Shelby RNCL, Spider, Beretta SGDC, Kimber, Verona, Missie, Jackie, Victor RNCL, Jet and Glitzy
    ..........gone but never forgotten, the gal who started it all: Spider's Sunshine MSDC MSCDC AADC AGDC NAC NGC NJC (Nestle) ...........

More experienced guys have told me that working girls sometimes don't have their first heat cycle until 2 years. My girl came into heat yesterday for the first time, she is 15 months old.

The three bitches I have now from oldest to youngest; 21 months, 35 months, and 7 months.
    Howard Niemi

You really gotta be careful about how high a pedestal you put your method, your accomplishments, your dog on. There's usually someone who's done more, somewhere. And they may have used a different method than you did! Chris Atkinson 2013

get your dog out and TRAIN! caryalsobrook 2013

Mine are all around 18mt. first; then every 7mt like clock-work. I got a 9mt old pup now, if she'd hold off until 3; I'd be very ok with it
    "They's Just DAWGS"
    "Hunting is a skill to be learned whether you do it early or late it still needs to be learned"
    "I train dogs, Not papers"

GMRH HRCH Quick MH (most importantly Duck/Upland Enthusiast)
    MHR HRCH Lakota MH (most importantly Upland/Duck Enthusiast)
    SHR Storm.. the Pup (Beginning Upland & Waterfowl Enthusiast)

Quote Originally Posted by Barndog View Post
    My chocolate lab female just turned a year old on August 18th, but has yet to have her first heat cycle. At what point do I start to get concerned?
    I bet she's just waiting for hunting season to start. Her next cycle will be during next year's test/trial season.

Mine was about a year old when she had her first cycle.
    Renee P

Thanks for the info, looks like there's no need to worry for quite some time then.