The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Please Define The Sun Is Shining

Quote Originally Posted by blind ambition View Post
    Frankly, my hat is off to all those poor souls who sit in the judges chair, they have to contend with:
    the logistics of their allotted test site, ingress and egress, proximity to other stakes and or flights
    wind and its variance and change throughout the day
    sun and the certainty it will move across the sky, possibility of it going into and behind and them popping out of the clouds

It is trouble enough for us with relatively small entries north of the 49th where a series might go on for 2-3 hours, I can't imagine the stress of factoring all the variables to ensure a fair test which may go the whole day for the first series.

Naturally as a competitor I want the sun glinting off the wings of each bird as they float in an impossibly slow arc across a perfectly contrasting background and they should land belly up too please.
    Huh. GDG morphed into serious (mostly) substance (mostly). Does this mean that to avoid GDG one must acknowledge GDG? Sort of like the first step of a twelve-step program?

And the sun is always shining. (And all dogs are good.) Just depends on your perspective.
    --Greta Ode
    willing slave to the whims of
    Kerrybrooks Magical Atticus MH
    Coastalight Kiowa Ravenhawk MH

Well just for GDG purposes when are you going to change your handle to luvalabn'aflatcoat,Eh? Those Coastalight dogs are very talented and loveable too, no?
    And just the record where they come from, we all carry umbrellas to the training grounds not parasols, which might explain why my experience with sunshine is rather scant.
    Last edited by blind ambition; 09-10-2013 at 11:45 PM.
    power without lumber, raciness without weediness

A big man never looks down on others.... instead, he is someone to look up to.

Quote Originally Posted by blind ambition View Post
    Well just for GDG purposes when are you going to change your handle to luvalabn'aflatcoat,Eh? Those Coastalight dogs are very talented and loveable too, no?
    And just the record where they come from, we all carry umbrellas to the training grounds not parasols, which might explain why my experience with sunshine is rather scant.
    I love my flattie.
    --Greta Ode

Greta, I think you are missing the very essence of GDG. It is the act of perverting ANY subject, be it silly or serious, from its intended thought. That someone chose to interject a serious thought into a silly discussion, just shows that they know the true nature of RTF!
    Carol,
    Owned and handled by Cruisin' with Indiana Jones, JH
    Alternate Handler: Westwind Buffalo Soldier
    Apprentice Handler: Snake River Medicine Man, JH
    http://newhoperetrievers.com

Quote Originally Posted by 2tall View Post
    That someone chose to interject a serious thought into a silly discussion,
    And just what is silly about the sun shining? Unless of course one is forced to put it where the sun don't shine........

Quote Originally Posted by EdA View Post
    For me this is quite a confusing statement because one has to assume that when the sun is visible it is always shining which may not be totally accurate. If the sun is low at dusk or dawn it isn't really shining, if it is behind a cloud it isn't really shining, and if you are wearing polarized sunglasses it isn't really shining so to define "the sun is shining" requires the definition of a number other words. Here at RTF we aim to over analyze almost everything including this rather simple statement.
    Ah, now I think I understand. You're talking about factors. Clouds, sunglasses, horizons east and west, trees....all factors. The sun is technically always shining so looking at the factors that influence our perception of the sun's ability to shine is the key.
    Sharon Potter

www.redbranchkennels.net

Chesapeake Bay Retrievers...too many to list.

Team Huntsmith

Quote Originally Posted by 2tall View Post
    Greta, I think you are missing the very essence of GDG. It is the act of perverting ANY subject, be it silly or serious, from its intended thought. That someone chose to interject a serious thought into a silly discussion, just shows that they know the true nature of RTF!

But of course, you are correct!

I guess I was in Stage 2--I will exile myself back to Stage 1, as I don't have the chutzpah to move forward today--too hot.
    --Greta Ode

Quote Originally Posted by Sharon Potter View Post
    Ah, now I think I understand. You're talking about factors. Clouds, sunglasses, horizons east and west, trees....all factors. The sun is technically always shining so looking at the factors that influence our perception of the sun's ability to shine is the key.
    I am somewhat in awe of this.
    --Greta Ode

Quote Originally Posted by luvalab View Post
    But of course, you are correct!

I guess I was in Stage 2--I will exile myself back to Stage 1, as I don't have the chutzpah to move forward today--too hot.
    Please get the terminology correct, it is Phase 1 and Phase 2, if you must gobbledygook the thread be accurate or you could be exiled...

I think Doc Ed is punking us. Where is Bridget when you need her?
    I have learned I need these dogs much more than they need me. Tim Bockmon