Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Please Define The Sun Is Shining

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Farrar View Post
    Sunshine on my shoulders makes me happy
    Sunshine in my eyes can make me cry
    Sunshine on the water looks so lovely
    Sunshine almost always makes me high

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L7-NlLQuNd8<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L7-NlLQuNd8" target="_blank">
    May you pin all the marks and line the blinds!!

Avatar courtesy of RTF"s TZAPPIA

What time zone is this in?

Quote Originally Posted by Gun_Dog2002 View Post
    How much force is required to make the sun shine? and do you wear a glove when doing ear pinch?

/Paul
    An asbestos glove.
    ---------------------------------------------
    HRCH "Boomer" MH
    UH HR "Hunter" SH (RIP)

"When you go to a test or a trial, your dog should be underwhelmed." ~ Evan Graham

"It is unreasonable to expect a dog to be more precise than you are." ~ Rex Carr

"You own what you condone." ~ Mike Lardy

Quote Originally Posted by EdA View Post
    Let's subject this topic to RTF scrutiny
    Dr. Ed asked a serious question and most of you are making light of it. As a professional he rarely loves to talk about hypothetical things.

In this case, I think he is referring to a common judging issue. The field trial definition of “the sun is shining” is: “a term widely used in field trial jargon to note that judges have set up a test facing the sun ‘which is shining’.This means that the dogs cannot see the birds and therefore by default we must be at a field trial.

When the sun is not shining and it is cloudy, the judges will face any and all directions. But, if the sun is shining the judges will face the east in the morning and the west in the evening.

So, I suspect he was asking “why do judges do that when the sun is shining?”

Am I right about this Dr. Ed?
    Dennis

Quote Originally Posted by HuntinDawg View Post
    An asbestos glove.
    DUH!!! It's called the "Ove-Glove".

(I got one for Christmas)

JS
    “Don’t wave your phony patriotism in MY face! If you really love America, open your wallet and hire an American kid to build what you buy. Think of all our problems that might solve.” Doug Fraser (paraphrased) 1980

Real Americans buy American.

Snowshoe's All American Guy SH, UDX, WCX ... CODY ... at the bridge
    CH. Snowshoe's Girl Crazy MH, UD, WCX, SDHF, OS ... PRESLEY
    ...​ at the bridge
    Millpond's Baby Boomer MH*** ... BABE
    Snowshoe's Crazy For Lovin You SH ... NELSON

Quote Originally Posted by RetrieversONLINE View Post

is it because they did not read the "Blue Book" by Pete Simonds????
    "So what is big is not always the Trout nor the Deer but the chance, the being there. And what is full is not necessarily the creel nor the freezer, but the memory." ~ Aldo Leopold

"The Greatest Obstacle to Discovery is not Ignorance -- It is the Illusion of Knowledge" ~ Daniel Boorstin

Isnt it the oposite of mooning?

Quote Originally Posted by RetrieversONLINE View Post
    Dr. Ed asked a serious question and most of you are making light of it. As a professional he rarely loves to talk about hypothetical things.

In this case, I think he is referring to a common judging issue. The field trial definition of “the sun is shining” is: “a term widely used in field trial jargon to note that judges have set up a test facing the sun ‘which is shining’.This means that the dogs cannot see the birds and therefore by default we must be at a field trial.

When the sun is not shining and it is cloudy, the judges will face any and all directions. But, if the sun is shining the judges will face the east in the morning and the west in the evening.

So my definition in post # 38 would be close?
    Never trust a dog to watch your food!

For me this is quite a confusing statement because one has to assume that when the sun is visible it is always shining which may not be totally accurate. If the sun is low at dusk or dawn it isn't really shining, if it is behind a cloud it isn't really shining, and if you are wearing polarized sunglasses it isn't really shining so to define "the sun is shining" requires the definition of a number other words. Here at RTF we aim to over analyze almost everything including this rather simple statement.

Frankly, my hat is off to all those poor souls who sit in the judges chair, they have to contend with:
    the logistics of their allotted test site, ingress and egress, proximity to other stakes and or flights
    wind and its variance and change throughout the day
    sun and the certainty it will move across the sky, possibility of it going into and behind and them popping out of the clouds

It is trouble enough for us with relatively small entries north of the 49th where a series might go on for 2-3 hours, I can't imagine the stress of factoring all the variables to ensure a fair test which may go the whole day for the first series.

Naturally as a competitor I want the sun glinting off the wings of each bird as they float in an impossibly slow arc across a perfectly contrasting background and they should land belly up too please.
    Last edited by blind ambition; 09-10-2013 at 05:36 PM.
    power without lumber, raciness without weediness

A big man never looks down on others.... instead, he is someone to look up to.