The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lab pup lost his drive to retrieve

Sounds like he is marking the bumper but just not wanting to pick it up. Like others said he could be teething. Try a canvas bumper or a paint roller. Try to get him chasing things, roll a tennis ball get pigeons. If he has already teethed you might need to move forward on force hold and FF.

Thanks for all the feedback. He has already teethed but I wasn't sure if he was still too young to start with FF.

where are you?
    BB
    Sight To Sea Labradors
    Southern Cross at Sight to Sea SH "Crosby" (by NAFC FC AFC Cody Cut a Lean Grade)
    Tealwood's Willing at Sight to Sea JH ( by CH I am Able)
    Briarglen's Running on Faith JH (by FC Fish River's Out of the Park)
    Glendair's Come Home to the Sea ( By Ch Topform's Edward MH, QAA)
    Sight To Sea's Take Aim SH (by Sight to Sea's Southern Comfort SH )Aug 23 2003-Feb 2013 Go get em , Man!

Manager of www.DeCoverlykennels.com

I Live in north Mississippi

I would get with someone...I don't like to FF if they are not already pretty happy to retrieve, or AT LEAST running to the mark. I would keep playing with him , maybe only once or twice a week....put him away after two throws, wanting more. Separate obedience and throwing bumpers , get a pigeon!!!! and or some duck wings to tie on the bumpers.
    BB
    Sight To Sea Labradors
    Southern Cross at Sight to Sea SH "Crosby" (by NAFC FC AFC Cody Cut a Lean Grade)
    Tealwood's Willing at Sight to Sea JH ( by CH I am Able)
    Briarglen's Running on Faith JH (by FC Fish River's Out of the Park)
    Glendair's Come Home to the Sea ( By Ch Topform's Edward MH, QAA)
    Sight To Sea's Take Aim SH (by Sight to Sea's Southern Comfort SH )Aug 23 2003-Feb 2013 Go get em , Man!

Manager of www.DeCoverlykennels.com

You need to get with Southern Flight HRC for their next training day. Seriously. That is a Memphis/Southhaven based group with a lot of folks in the Grenada area, too. They will be having a HT in Como (sort of) NEXT WEEKEND. Come and watch. I will be marshaling a Finished stake, ask for me and I will introduce you to folks. Or visit with my wife who will be judging Started, and she can introduce you to folks when the tests are over. Or get with Johnny Barlow (HRC Region 5a Field Rep) who is in Yocona (about 8 miles from you) and let him see you and your dog. He will be able to offer suggestions.

Here is the information for the Southern Flight test in Harmontown/Como (right on top of you).

http://www.huntingretrieverclub.org/...ht_9-21-13.pdf
    Last edited by GulfCoast; 09-10-2013 at 09:58 AM.
    Wm. Mark Edwards
    Pascagoula, MS

HRCH (500) UH Ellie Mae MH
    SHR Tipsy

Bridget is right about making sure that this animal is happy (has prey drive) with marking before FF is started. Just don't let a smart animal fool you. I like to get their prey drive up and teach hold as soon as I can, this is usually soon after they teeth. A lot of the times this cleans up some of the issues you are describing. If your dog is no going thats a totally different issue than one that runs to the bird/bumper picks it up and drops it in field before running in. If these are NO GOES build prey drive. If the dog has momentum and is running to the bumper and mouthing it, start HOLD. JMO