The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: When honoring dog breaks ...

Default When honoring dog breaks ...

What are your responsibilities as the working dog handler? This happened to me this weekend and it's a scenario I had never thought about before.

As handler, I was sitting on a cooler at the line, as per judges instructions. My dog was at heel beside me. Honoring dog broke for the birds. Handler shouted at dog. My dog, being 5 feet from shouting guy, was reacting to the guy and his commands. My first thought was that the test was "on hold" and judgement was off of us until the test was re-set. Thinking we were on recess, I talked to my dog and petted her back to keep her calm and because I was happy she didn't break. Not sure if the judges noticed this or not, because nothing was said and we restarted the test. Later I started wondering if I broke the rules by talking to her softly and touching her?

So in summary, if you're on line with your dog and honor dog breaks, are you still under judgement, or do you have a time out while breaking dog is brought under control?

You are still under judgment until instructed so by the judge or judges.....

Section 11. Interference. In a Senior or Master Hunting Test, when a dog is ordered by the Judge to retrieve a fall, and another dog breaks for the same fall and interferes with the working dog to the extent of causing it in any way to make a faulty performance, the dog interfered with shall be considered as not having been tested and given another evaluation.

What is yalls take of the bolded line?

Not a judge and not an expert handler. I'd expect my dog to stay put no matter what and figure any praise I hand out is as I'm leaving the line not at the line. What I think is a tougher question is... if my dog breaks, what then? Wouldn't want to yell at her since we're going to rerun this thing. My thought is I'd defer to the judge? Until they tell me to reheel my dog, I'm letting her go.

Good question. I'm anxious to see what others think.

Quote Originally Posted by jackh View Post
    Section 11. Interference. In a Senior or Master Hunting Test, when a dog is ordered by the Judge to retrieve a fall, and another dog breaks for the same fall and interferes with the working dog to the extent of causing it in any way to make a faulty performance, the dog interfered with shall be considered as not having been tested and given another evaluation.

What is yalls take of the bolded line?
    Well there you go! I guessed right.

Currently middle of the "Great" Plains- Ord NE

Quote Originally Posted by 1tulip View Post
    Not a judge and not an expert handler. I'd expect my dog to stay put no matter what and figure any praise I hand out is as I'm leaving the line not at the line. What I think is a tougher question is... if my dog breaks, what then? Wouldn't want to yell at her since we're going to rerun this thing. My thought is I'd defer to the judge? Until they tell me to reheel my dog, I'm letting her go.

Good question. I'm anxious to see what others think.
    Wouldn't it be more prudent to call your dog back (if it left the line) or verbally restrain it rather than risk a dog fight if the honor dog refuses to come back without the bird?
    Raina Anderson WWW.FIREHOUSELABS.COM

According to this BMI chart, I am too short !!!

You are still under judgment until instructed by the judges that interference took place..... Don't do anything, say anything , touch your dog until instructed by the judge/judges.....

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Shafer View Post
    You are still under judgment until instructed by the judges that interference took place..... Don't do anything, say anything , touch your dog until instructed by the judge/judges.....
    Seems like you could ask judges what to do as a handler during the test explanation. Yes / No?
    Hebrews 11:3 By faith we understand that the worlds were framed by the word of God, so that the things which are seen were not made of things which are visible.

What if all we have today is what we gave thanks for yesterday?

It did happen to us at a master test. The first word out of my mouth was "no bird, sit". In fact the honoring dog retrieved the flyer and brought it back to me, beside my dog. The judges did apology. It was very very confusing. We went back 5 dogs and got a master pass.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Shafer View Post
    x2 had it just this spring. my dog was almost half way to the bird when the other dog jumped into the water. Judges were so cool. Told me not to worry, just get my dog back in. Both dogs met, mine with bird in mouth comming back and other dog still going out. A little zig zag swimming on Loco's part keeping HIS duck away from the other dog and I about busted a spleen getting hard on the come in whistle. but ended up with bird in hand and both dogs sitting next to me.
    much better than all the times it was me running the breaking dog.
    "So what is big is not always the Trout nor the Deer but the chance, the being there. And what is full is not necessarily the creel nor the freezer, but the memory." ~ Aldo Leopold

"The Greatest Obstacle to Discovery is not Ignorance -- It is the Illusion of Knowledge" ~ Daniel Boorstin