The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: When honoring dog breaks ...

Quote Originally Posted by Viggie View Post
    It was very very confusing.
    It can get confusing quickly. Last honor dog I saw break while in close quarters was a master where I'd been taking birds. Was between the judges and honor dog, behind the handler/working dog. Land/water series.

Honor dog broke on the first bird but rather than get after the mark - it immediately started humping the working dog which remained at Sit.
    We shoot dogs with a Canon

Quote Originally Posted by HNTFSH View Post
    It can get confusing quickly. Last honor dog I saw break while in close quarters was a master where I'd been taking birds. Was between the judges and honor dog, behind the handler/working dog. Land/water series.

Honor dog broke on the first bird but rather than get after the mark - it immediately started humping the working dog which remained at Sit.
    Was it MooseGooser's dog? Sounds like Mooser's sit standard to me!

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer Henion View Post
    Was it MooseGooser's dog? Sounds like Mooser's sit standard to me!
    No - it was not MooseGooser that humped the working dog.
    We shoot dogs with a Canon

Rule # 1. Do what you need to do to protect your dog and you from whatever is going on.
    Rule # 2. Don't worry about anything else.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Shafer View Post
    You are still under judgment until instructed by the judges that interference took place..... Don't do anything, say anything , touch your dog until instructed by the judge/judges.....
    That is the correct answer.

It is the judges call on whether it was interference or not.

I was running the last series of a master where, 1st bird got stuck in winger, the gunner then hand threw bird out of blind, the honor dog broke on the 2nd bird whose handler was yelling at his dog & ran half way out to bird trying to get dog stopped before dog could pick up the bird. He finally got honor dog back and on lead, and the jugde signaled for the 3rd bird. Took the bird boy by surprise as he was sure it would be a no bird, there was a long delay to put bird back in winger and release it. The judges then gave me my number.

After I sent my dog for the last bird down, I asked the judge (who I thought was a friend of mine) why wasn't that interference. He responded, "it's just Missy, it didn't bother her." He was right, she picked up all 3 birds clean.

I guess it depends on the judges and the venue. Had the honor dog break in a qual on us this spring. Dog was recalled, and we were given our number to retrieve. Unfortunately, I think it affected my dogs performance and we got 4th place.
    -=#David

Well, this started off as a really interesting thread. Too bad we couldn't keep it that way. (Rick_C 2009, Classic RTF)
    __________________________________________________ _
    Take what you get and thank them (the Judges) afterwards no matter what the outcome. (Moira Sheehan)

Quote Originally Posted by BBnumber1 View Post
    I guess it depends on the judges and the venue. Had the honor dog break in a qual on us this spring. Dog was recalled, and we were given our number to retrieve. Unfortunately, I think it affected my dogs performance and we got 4th place.
    That's just WRONG! I'd be so tempted to turn around and just say... "Are you sure??? For a minute there I thought you called my number! Heh!"

Vis... calling your dog back. Calling your dog off when it has a head of steam is, to the dog, very punitive. According to TRT I'm studying, it's more so than a whistle, nick, handle. Yes... if there was any risk of or appearance of a confrontation with the breaking dog I'd do what I had to up to and including running out and intervening and/or screaming at the other handler and threatening a law suit. (Or whatever.) All that to say, if you know you're going to rerun it, calling the dog back in may mess with its head as much as the foot race with the breaking dog.

When I am judging an HRC test, as soon as the honor dog breaks the test is over. I will send the working dog back 3 dogs (if possible) just like it there had been a no bird.
    Carolina American Water Spaniels

HRCH UH Carolina's Duck Gumbo MHA SHR RN WDS CGC TDI (Gumbo) 1000 Point Club
    UH HR GCH Carolina's Wild March Hare SH JHR RAE OA OAJ WDX CGC TDI (Bunny)
    HR CH Carolina's Running with the Hare SH JHR RN WDX CGC (Blew)

Quote Originally Posted by Good Dogs View Post
    Rule # 1. Do what you need to do to protect your dog and you from whatever is going on.
    Rule # 2. Don't worry about anything else.
    This seems like the best answer. I will be doing this, keeping in mind the rules, then let the judges decide.

Hmmm I've always just brought the dog to heel, and walked them off-line, so I can get a lead on them. The only dog-fight, I've ever seen, (two males) handler was not able to get the honor dog back, honor dog ended up rushing the working dog (rip-rolling fight ensued). Both dogs got wrote up for fighting (which is really bad AKC juju). Do what is needed to Get your dog back and get them off the line.

Sounds like your dog got pretty intimidated by the honor dog handler, I hope it didn't affect her run
    "They's Just DAWGS"
    "Hunting is a skill to be learned whether you do it early or late it still needs to be learned"
    "I train dogs, Not papers"

GMRH HRCH Quick MH (most importantly Duck/Upland Enthusiast)
    MHR HRCH Lakota MH (most importantly Upland/Duck Enthusiast)
    SHR Storm.. the Pup (Beginning Upland & Waterfowl Enthusiast)