The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: When honoring dog breaks ...

Quote Originally Posted by Hunt'EmUp View Post
    ....handler was not able to get the honor dog back, honor dog ended up rushing the working dog (rip-rolling fight ensued). Both dogs got wrote up for fighting (which is really bad AKC juju). Do what is needed to Get your dog back and get them off the line.
    Ouch - working dog also cited for being rushed by honor dog on a break? That woulda pissed me off. I couldn't even consider that a trainability issue.
    We shoot dogs with a Canon

Quote Originally Posted by HNTFSH View Post
    Ouch - working dog also cited for being rushed by honor dog on a break? That woulda pissed me off. I couldn't even consider that a trainability issue.
    Let's just say the owner of working dog has an excellent hunting dog, who doesn't play the hunt test game anymore
    Last edited by Hunt'EmUp; 09-10-2013 at 03:52 PM.
    "They's Just DAWGS"
    "Hunting is a skill to be learned whether you do it early or late it still needs to be learned"
    "I train dogs, Not papers"

GMRH HRCH Quick MH (most importantly Duck/Upland Enthusiast)
    MHR HRCH Lakota MH (most importantly Upland/Duck Enthusiast)
    SHR Storm.. the Pup (Beginning Upland & Waterfowl Enthusiast)

Williamsburg, MO, just behind Crane's Store

Controlled breaks are allowed in Qual stakes so if the handler got the honoring dog under control before there was an interference with the working dog the test should go on.

Quote Originally Posted by Hunt'EmUp View Post
    Let's just say the owner of working dog has an excellent hunting dog, who doesn't play the hunt test game anymore
    Wow. It sounds like the AKC is as bad as the IRS. You're guilty. That's it. No due process.

Here's a stupid take on things that I would argue until I got dropped...

Once the honor dog leaves, aren't YOU now the honor dog? At that point it should be legal to speak softly to your dog, per the rules.

And regardless of "the judge's call", I expect a shot to run the test without the added distraction, thus I would respectfully ask to be sent back three dogs if the honor dog broke, especially in a competitive stake.

It's just not fair after a dog just watched the honor dog break and be restrained, to expect a clean job of marking.

A hunting test judge could take this distraction into consideration and score accordingly, with a notation in the book. It's in no way fair in competition and almost demands a re-run. Having said that, it's a judge's call and that doesn't mean they will agree with me. That's just part of playing the game.

At the end of the day you have to respect the judge's decision.
    Last edited by DarrinGreene; 09-10-2013 at 07:40 PM.
    Darrin Greene

Darrin, What I have obsevered is what you described. Generally when the honor dog breaks there is interference as the handler is trying to get their dog under control, and the running dog gets a "rerun".

I have seen a case where the honor dog waited to break until the running dog was well on its way to the first bird, and the honor dog handler was able to bring the honor dog under control without it effecting the running dog.

I think it was discussed to make it a rule that if the honor dog broke the working dog HAD to go back at least 3 dogs if possible. Sometimes you are the last dog running and have to suck it up but you should still be able to leave the line, go back to holding and start again with honor dog on lead. As a judge I do not even ask the handler if they want to stay on line, I send them back.

In our case, the honor dog broke after both birds landed - a split second before our number would have been called. He hit the water and his owner was able to call him back before any retrieve. My dog clearly marked the birds, and I stayed seated on the cooler hoping we could just go ahead and get it done. It was very hot (102) and I was second to last dog running. I was glad the judges had us continue our test and I think they weighed all the factors of the situation well. We pinned our marks and achieved our honor.

It was the long, Tule filled water blind that was our undoing!

Quote Originally Posted by Karen Klotthor View Post
    I think it was discussed to make it a rule that if the honor dog broke the working dog HAD to go back at least 3 dogs if possible. Sometimes you are the last dog running and have to suck it up but you should still be able to leave the line, go back to holding and start again with honor dog on lead. As a judge I do not even ask the handler if they want to stay on line, I send them back.
    Good on ya. Some of us prefer, at times, to tough it out based on the dogs reaction. That said - make it easier for some (me) numbskulls to have no choice.

Last time I passed on waiting another 3 dogs (46th in a 49 dog senior) the memory bird went no problem and go bird was a no bird.

Reloaded wingers, again memory bird no problem, go bird didn't crest hill to mark it (from the dogs level).

Sent dog as lined but immediate turn to the bird he'd seen twice, not the bird he'd seen never.

Judge asked if dog does that all the time...lol...but I couldn't be a smartarse till we both figured out the go bird was never seen twice. Dog picked up both without a handle in the end. Point being 'stuff' sometimes happens back-to-back.
    We shoot dogs with a Canon

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer Henion View Post
    In our case, the honor dog broke after both birds landed - a split second before our number would have been called. He hit the water and his owner was able to call him back before any retrieve. My dog clearly marked the birds, and I stayed seated on the cooler hoping we could just go ahead and get it done. It was very hot (102) and I was second to last dog running. I was glad the judges had us continue our test and I think they weighed all the factors of the situation well. We pinned our marks and achieved our honor.

It was the long, Tule filled water blind that was our undoing!
    I agree with the judges decision here...I try to tell both handlers to " get your dogs under control " as soon as a break occurs...test over.....Let's avoid a fight ....Only the attacking dog should be written up ... no penalty for defending ones self....Steve S
    "Your dog learns as much by doing his work right,by your praise and encouragement, as he does by your displeasure and correction." DLWalters