The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Gun Dog Broker
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Touching dog in AKC test or trial: is it really against the rules?

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Caswell View Post
    Why in the world would they make a crazy rule where you can't touch your dog while under judgment
    Because they can. Sort of like, "Why does my male dog . . . "

Quote Originally Posted by Good Dogs View Post
    Not really. There is a rational reason for the rule. Touching of your dog can be a trigger or cue based on some cagy training methods that could look quite innocent to most casual observers; but could deliver a huge message or impact upon the dog.
    As a counter argument I can think of no good reason to allow a handler to touch the dog under normal crcumstances

When I judged up in Alaska a number of years ago, huge deer flies were a big problem. The flies would land on the dog's nose and if left alone, could really bite the dog, I had a few handlers ask if would be ok to swipe the flies off the dog while the dog was sitting there. I could see the issue and said sure, most handlers were genuinely concerned about their dogs and you could tell this is an issue they live with every day training in an Alaskan summer, but there was one handler who shall remain nameless, who really took advantage of the judges that day. In the series following his first courtesy request when he gently wiped a fly of his dog's nose, he would come to the line, sit his dog, say "dead bird", whack the dog on the nose, then "BACK". We forgot about it in the third series, so were caught flat footed when he did it again, but were totally ready to jump down his throat in the fourth, when it seemed like the gates of Hell opened up and a cloud of flies descended on the dogs head. It became moot when the dog was picked up on the key bird, but it just goes to show that there is always someone who will ruin it for everyone else.

Just wait until you get a dog that likes to touch you, makes the whole rule more interesting. . I have one who's head appears in my lap on honor, who jump ups and slimes me, as soon as the working dog is released, finally had to teach her a remote honor, if I hurry I can make it behind the judges before I'm slimed. Seems to works better than waving my hands in the air saying " She's touching me" .
    Last edited by Hunt'EmUp; 09-10-2013 at 12:46 PM.
    "They's Just DAWGS"
    "Hunting is a skill to be learned whether you do it early or late it still needs to be learned"
    "I train dogs, Not papers"

GMRH HRCH Quick MH (most importantly Duck/Upland Enthusiast)
    MHR HRCH Lakota MH (most importantly Upland/Duck Enthusiast)
    SHR Storm.. the Pup (Beginning Upland & Waterfowl Enthusiast)

Many years ago when AKC hunt tests were in their infancy, some rules or common practices were very much different then today. One was in the master you had to honor until all the birds were picked up by the running dog. If you had a slow running dog, the honor seemed for ever. My field trial trained Golden was trained to immediately leave the line after being excused by the judges and the running dog sent on it's first mark. He got a few cockelburrs on him (the Golden curse) but he really wasn't bothered by them. He started to get very antsy as the very slow running dog was picking up his birds. Sooo. I started to pull burrs on the honor, telling the dog to quietly sit each time I pulled the burr (this was pre can't talk to your dog on the honor days) the judge heard it, told me if I told the dog to sit one more time he was going to DQ me. I shut up after what seemed like an eternity was released on the honor. Reading this post seemed to echo , can't touch your dog, while under contention.
    Earl Dillow

Quote Originally Posted by mitty View Post
    The FT and HT regulations have similar language. Here is the statement from the HT regulations:

"Section 11. In Senior and Master Hunting Tests, a handler shall not hold or touch a dog to keep it steady, or verbally restrain a dog on line, except in extraordi- nary circumstances, from the time the first bird is being thrown until the dog’s number is called. Violation of any of the provisions of this paragraph is sufficient cause to justify a grade of “0” in Trainability."
    I have only ran a few MH tests and I haven't read the rules yet. I ran one hunt test where the judges told the handlers that, on the honor, the handler was permitted to speak softly to their dog. Is it in the rules that a handler may not talk to a working dog but the handler of the honor dog may talk to their dog?

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Caswell
    Why in the world would they make a crazy rule where you can't touch your dog while under judgement?
    Quote Originally Posted by Good Dogs View Post
    Pretty sure there was a heavy dose of sarcasm in Todd's post.....
    The dog will always prove you wrong

I have only ran a few MH tests and I haven't read the rules yet.....
    how odd
    "So what is big is not always the Trout nor the Deer but the chance, the being there. And what is full is not necessarily the creel nor the freezer, but the memory." ~ Aldo Leopold

"The Greatest Obstacle to Discovery is not Ignorance -- It is the Illusion of Knowledge" ~ Daniel Boorstin

Quote Originally Posted by Handler Error View Post
    I have only ran a few MH tests and I haven't read the rules yet. I ran one hunt test where the judges told the handlers that, on the honor, the handler was permitted to speak softly to their dog. Is it in the rules that a handler may not talk to a working dog but the handler of the honor dog may talk to their dog?
    Yes...it's in the rules....now go and read the rules...I'm sure we don't need another post wondering why someone's dog was dropped.
    The dog will always prove you wrong

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Bora View Post
    how odd
    Did you notice I said yet? Besides, I didn't realize it is a requirement to read the rules before you run.
    Last edited by Handler Error; 09-11-2013 at 08:34 AM.